I figured out how Diamond 1 to Challenger works. Terrible

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

VoltNinjA

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Recruiter

02-09-2013

Why is challenger cap at only 50 people...

That's way too low... Should be at least 200 like in starcraft

EDIT: actually this # should be the amount of people that were in diamond 1 (2500+) for season 2. i don't know this exact # because riot can't even properly put up a season 2 archive. i wonder who rank #42 is in season 1 but i wouldn't know since that archive got taken for no reason. rank is a joke atm, no incentives, no recognition of the past

EDIT 2 : If you look at lolsummoners, there are at least 23 people that are diamond 1 with 100 points. At least half of these people deserve to get into challenger but they can't because of the cap. There is definitely going to be more people that will be stuck here because this is ONLY the start of the season. The line would take weeks to even get a spot into the series. And even then, you'd have to camp for that spot, it's not going to notify you when you can play in a series. Just raise the challenger cap and be done with it. At the moment, challenger is way too exclusive and the last time you guys did something exclusive like in season 1 platinum 2200+ (which had about 150 people AND STILL DO NOT HAVE A HALL OF FAME WEBSITE FOR IT), you guys lowered it all the way to 1900+. And then reintroduced 2200+ later on in Season 2 with Diamond.

EDIT 3 : Knowing that there are about 32 million active monthly players, 50 out of 32 mil is 0.00015% of the population. Exclusive 99.99984% of the population are not challenger.

EDIT 4 : Think about when the end of season comes around and you start giving out prizes for every tier including Challenger. i really hope by that time it won't be limited to just 50 people getting exclusive prizes.

HunterHagen

02-09-2013

Well I guess I can take my time slowly in Diamond D5.

Yegg

Game Designer

Follow Yegg on Twitter

02-10-2013
1 of 1 Riot Posts

When a player or team makes it into Challenger tier, they are protected from demotions for 7 days. Since all of the Challenger tier players are currently protected, and the remaining few spots are reserved for players who are already in a Diamond Promotion Series, you aren't able to start a series right now. Unfortunately it seems that the LP calculator isn't properly clamping LP gains when all slots are taken.

You can continue playing in the meantime in order to improve your MMR (which will help you qualify for a series in the future) or you can hold off for a bit, your choice. We'll work on fixing the bug that let players get to 100 LP (although it shouldn't come up again once Challenger isn't filled with people who are immune).

You can tell when someone in Challenger tier loses their immunity because it will be the same time their Recruit emblem goes away. This should start happening in the next day or two. Once there are players who aren't immune, you'll be able to start a series if you win a game and the system believes that you're stronger than a Challenger player who isn't currently marked for a potential demotion. Clamping on LP gains should also kick in at that point for Diamond I players who haven't performed well enough to dethrone any Challenger players.

Lastly, we're working on implementing clamping for LP losses so that Division I players that aren't ready for a series won't have to risk way more LP than they can possibly gain from a match. In other words, LP gains and losses will both slow down as you get closer to 100, rather than wins slowing down and losses staying the same. In addition the slowing will happen sooner and be spread out more rather than only starting right when you're getting close. This will happen for players of all tiers (not just Diamond) once it goes live. It won't affect the number of games you need to win to qualify for the series, but it will provide much better feedback about how close you really are.

Filthy

02-10-2013

Interesting...now to get out of silver 5

Frosthaven

02-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by yegg View Post
when a player or team makes it into challenger tier, they are protected from demotions for 7 days. Since all of the challenger tier players are currently protected, and the remaining few spots are reserved for players who are already in a diamond promotion series, you aren't able to start a series right now. Unfortunately it seems that the lp calculator isn't properly clamping lp gains when all slots are taken.

You can continue playing in the meantime in order to improve your mmr (which will help you qualify for a series in the future) or you can hold off for a bit, your choice. We'll work on fixing the bug that let players get to 100 lp (although it shouldn't come up again once challenger isn't filled with people who are immune).

You can tell when someone in challenger tier loses their immunity because it will be the same time their recruit emblem goes away. This should start happening in the next day or two. Once there are players who aren't immune, you'll be able to start a series if you win a game and the system believes that you're stronger than a challenger player who isn't currently marked for a potential demotion. Clamping on lp gains should also kick in at that point for diamond i players who haven't performed well enough to dethrone any challenger players.

Lastly, we're working on implementing clamping for lp losses so that division i players that aren't ready for a series won't have to risk way more lp than they can possibly gain from a match. In other words, lp gains and losses will both slow down as you get closer to 100, rather than wins slowing down and losses staying the same. In addition the slowing will happen sooner and be spread out more rather than only starting right when you're getting close. This will happen for players of all tiers (not just diamond) once it goes live. It won't affect the number of games you need to win to qualify for the series, but it will provide much better feedback about how close you really are.
Attachment 611363

Mokai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yegg View Post
When a player or team makes it into Challenger tier, they are protected from demotions for 7 days. Since all of the Challenger tier players are currently protected, and the remaining few spots are reserved for players who are already in a Diamond Promotion Series, you aren't able to start a series right now. Unfortunately it seems that the LP calculator isn't properly clamping LP gains when all slots are taken.

You can continue playing in the meantime in order to improve your MMR (which will help you qualify for a series in the future) or you can hold off for a bit, your choice. We'll work on fixing the bug that let players get to 100 LP (although it shouldn't come up again once Challenger isn't filled with people who are immune).

You can tell when someone in Challenger tier loses their immunity because it will be the same time their Recruit emblem goes away. This should start happening in the next day or two. Once there are players who aren't immune, you'll be able to start a series if you win a game and the system believes that you're stronger than a Challenger player who isn't currently marked for a potential demotion. Clamping on LP gains should also kick in at that point for Diamond I players who haven't performed well enough to dethrone any Challenger players.

Lastly, we're working on implementing clamping for LP losses so that Division I players that aren't ready for a series won't have to risk way more LP than they can possibly gain from a match. In other words, LP gains and losses will both slow down as you get closer to 100, rather than wins slowing down and losses staying the same. In addition the slowing will happen sooner and be spread out more rather than only starting right when you're getting close. This will happen for players of all tiers (not just Diamond) once it goes live. It won't affect the number of games you need to win to qualify for the series, but it will provide much better feedback about how close you really are.
I stay far, far away from Ranked mode but I still found this to be a really informative, interesting read. Cheers for the realtalk.

Vahlen

02-10-2013

Quote:

Seems like you pulled a Blizzard release on this new system...........nothing was ready and every time you turn around something else is going wrong.

The system feels ****ty, and as hard as it is to believe it actually manages to feel WORSE than ELO

iSorrows

02-10-2013

if anything the new system causes rage

HeyLPG

02-10-2013

Quote:

That's pretty lame.

Capt Carmine

02-10-2013

Good guy Yegg