Query- what champs work well WITH Malzahar?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RainbowTrenches

02-09-2013

There's plenty of stuff out there about counters, but what champs work well with malhz? I've found viktor to be effective (line up the w's for fun and profit), and I assume amunu would be good for the same reason if he wasn't permabanned. Any others?

ChiefClive

02-09-2013

A well-timed Cataclysm from Jarvan IV that captures a majority of the enemy team works well with Malzahar's AOE skills.

Crazy Crann

02-09-2013

I've played a surprisingly fun combo of Thresh/Malz in a game before. Thresh chains an enemy and drags him into Malz AoE damage-over-time and ulti; box keeps enemies under Malz's thumb even longer, as well.

Z The Slayer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-09-2013

Syndra and Malzahar. Space AIDS a minion, chuck it at bad guy. Instant fun!

Suppress enemy, Syndra then has plenty of time to bomb the enemy and finish off a different enemy with her ult.

Z The Slayer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-09-2013

You can check Championselect.net for counters against or for, as well as strong champion pairings (like Malzahar + Syndra).

Other good pairings from that site include WW, Amumu, Maokai, Skarner and Jarvan.

M3GaL0d0n

02-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z The Slayer View Post
You can check Championselect.net for counters against or for, as well as strong champion pairings (like Malzahar + Syndra).

Other good pairings from that site include WW, Amumu, Maokai, Skarner and Jarvan.
Champselect.net is a somewhat gimmicky site, things that look good on paper don't always make it into the game with the same effectiveness. It's a good start, but you shouldn't rely on it. Not to rain on your parade, those aren't half bad match ups anyways.

I can say by my own merit that Amumu and Malzahar is a terrible combo if you're trying to get a outstanding synergistic combo (It works, but not the way you want it to). Most of Malzahar's power comes from his ultimate, the raw damage combined with forcing an enemy to endure the full effect of Null-Zone and Voidlings, and maybe even a Call of the Void, can allow him to outright kill virtually any enemy champion in the game. The problem with Malzahar is he needs to be able to channel for over two seconds without being interrupted or killed, which is extremely difficult for him during a fight. Champions who can isolate key targets easily excel with Malzahar. Blitzcrank is a Malzahar's best friend. A power gap closer with a small knock-up can set up Malzahar's combo very easily. Other champions who can do this well (albeit not as well as Blitzcrank) are Hecarim, Alistar, and Singed (Note these are all have a AoE ability which tends to split up enemies). Skarner fails here because he usually likes to disable enemy tanks, assassins or bruisers by pulling them out of his own team instead of pulling enemy squishies out of position. Also, getting Skarner to land an enemy right inside Malzahar's other abilities is sketchy at best and doesn't pay off well if successful, any other champion in the game will usually get a free kill if Skarner makes it out of the enemy team safely with a carry in tow.

This isn't to say that an area of effect stun combined with Null-zone and Call of the Void isn't any good, but that's not going to help with Malzahar's lousy ability to set up strong ults so you waste some good damage potential. (I.e. Anivia would would work well with Amumu or Jarvan IV, much higher AoE damage with a little extra crowd control to keep enemies locked up). Malzahar is a natural snowballer. He works well with champions who can melt-face on key targets and snowball teamfights from there. So getting champions who displace enemies and kill them quickly is where you will see the best use of Malzahar's kit. But try what you like and see what your play style warrants, just because I like having Alistars face-feed me free kills doesn't mean other tactics don't work.

GLHF

SparrZ

02-10-2013

Nocturne works super well too if you time your ults right its a free kill

reapermech

02-10-2013

i would also add nunu for his ult

iDpark

02-10-2013

Troll comp, malz, ww, skar, urgot, and uh..... anyone , really.

Jowabunga

02-10-2013

WW is great, but I am surprised no one has mentioned Darius, as long as the Malz player doesn't mind picking up a lot of assists. :)