@IronStylus and the Quinn Team

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotRunaan

Writer

02-08-2013
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solari Brigadier View Post
I realize that she won't be a "true" member of the elite society (all I can think of is Sunflash and Skarlath trying to become Abbot of Redwall), but I still think she loses a lot of character by making her a part of it - even one that isn't fully compatible.

On the Fields of Justice, because of her status Quinn won't be wearing the armor or outfit she wore before she tracked down the assassin; because of her status she won't be saying the same things she might have before she became an elite; because of her status she won't be treated the same as she would have before she tracked down the assassin.

Her culture and customs and lifestyle outside of the Fields are no longer going to be those of a member of the lower class. The way Demacia seems to be set-up, she won't be able to ever act like a lower-class citizen again, nor will she be treated like one. She won't be able to interact with the lower class without being given the respect her new position requires.

You haven't changed who Quinn is on the inside, but you've thrown away the opportunity to really investigate the lower class of Demacia with this champion because she's no longer part of it. Any kind of look into the lower class of Demacia through Quinn is now distorted by her elite status - corrupted would be a good word for it. The same way that viewing Hobbit society through the eyes of Gandalf is inherently tainted because he's simply not one of them, viewing the 99% of Demacian society is tainted now as well.

Edit: I realize I probably seem angry, but I'm really just disappointed. Like I said, the 10 Demacian-centric champions are all already upper class. Their dress, their lore, their place in society is going to be similar. Unless Quinn "falls" from the upper echelon of society, any future lore and any canon armor/uniform/outfit styling is going to be that same upper class we've already seen 10 times before.
Another thing I should mention (that will be apparent in her text bio, but might not have come across in the journal) - Quinn wanted to join the military, not necessarily the "upper class." She didn't want to come to the central city to attend royal balls or engage in all the formalities of noble life. In her heart of hearts, she belongs in the forests, she's a ranger at her core. The fact that she would rather live like a commoner but still serve in the military will be another element that puts her in conflict with her noble-born peers.

Back on topic with that in mind: I do understand what you're saying, but I believe Quinn will present several interesting opportunities to explore Demacian society. She's essentially caught in the middle--she's managed to rise above her common birth, but she doesn't truly belong among the elite (and she'll have a hard time actively trying to fit in the right way, though she may be urged by the more traditional around her). We'll still get some of that contrast--the common life vs. the life of the Demacian elite--even if it isn't in the exact flavor you're looking for.

Quote:
because of her status she won't be saying the same things she might have before she became an elite
I hope you're surprised when you hear her in-game dialogue, actually. She's very much a Demacian character, but she has a very different attitude than what you hear from the more "core" Demacian champions (Garen, Jarvan, Lux, etc).

Beyond what's in-game, though, I've never perceived Quinn to be the type to "change herself" depending on her societal position. Outside her relationship with Valor, she's very cut-and-dry with people, to the point, all business. She was like this as a commoner and she'll remain that way as a soldier.

Solari Brigadier

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRunaan View Post
Another thing I should mention (that will be apparent in her text bio, but might not have come across in the journal) - Quinn wanted to join the military, not necessarily the "upper class." She didn't want to come to the central city to attend royal balls or engage in all the formalities of noble life. In her heart of hearts, she belongs in the forests, she's a ranger at her core. The fact that she would rather live like a commoner but still serve in the military will be another element that puts her in conflict with her noble-born peers.

Back on topic with that in mind: I do understand what you're saying, but I believe Quinn will present several interesting opportunities to explore Demacian society. She's essentially caught in the middle--she's managed to rise above her common birth, but she doesn't truly belong among the elite (and she'll have a hard time actively trying to fit in the right way, though she may be urged by the more traditional around her). We'll still get some of that contrast--the common life vs. the life of the Demacian elite--even if it isn't in the exact flavor you're looking for.

I hope you're surprised when you hear her in-game dialogue, actually. She's very much a Demacian character, but she has a very different attitude than what you hear from the more "core" Demacian champions (Garen, Jarvan, Lux, etc).

Beyond what's in-game, though, I've never perceived Quinn to be the type to "change herself" depending on her societal position. Outside her relationship with Valor, she's very cut-and-dry with people, to the point, all business. She was like this as a commoner and she'll remain that way as a soldier.
I'll be very much looking forward to her character either way, don't you worry. This champion release has honestly been the most interesting for me in my entire tenure playing League (I started right before Ahri's release).

I'll be very interested to see if there's more inter-champion relationship development now. I'm always curious how champions interact outside of the Fields, and it wouldn't be too difficult to develop even a bi-monthly "Encounter" story where the lore of champions after they've joined the League can be looked into, even if it's an introspective piece. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one to gobble it up.

AbsolutionJailor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solari Brigadier View Post
On the Fields of Justice, because of her status Quinn won't be wearing the armor or outfit she wore before she tracked down the assassin; because of her status she won't be saying the same things she might have before she became an elite; because of her status she won't be treated the same as she would have before she tracked down the assassin.

Their dress, their lore, their place in society is going to be similar. Unless Quinn "falls" from the upper echelon of society, any future lore and any canon armor/uniform/outfit styling is going to be that same upper class we've already seen 10 times before.
There comes a point where passion is indistinguishable from paranoia, and I fear you've reached it.

Vayne does not dress like Garen, who does not dress like Fiora, who does not dress like Xin, who does not dress like Shyvana, who does not dress like Lux. Yet they are all either nobles, elite guards, or in Shyvana's case, an outsider who was promoted to the elite guard by Jarvan. You don't think Shyvana was corrupted to be a Demacia-yelling, blue-and-gold-wearing, banner-bearing puppet of the noble elite, do you? I mean, yeah, she mentions Demacia twice (out of 25+ sound files), but considering they were the first to actually help and accept her, and representing the place in her League matches, but she still seems pretty fierce and draconic. She's exactly what she was before, but with a home, title, and someone to protect.

You're acting as if you've already seen Quinn march out onto the fields of justice, shouting "Demacia!~" on her R, in a uniform that doesn't exist, behaving as if she has deleted the past X years of her life to make room for some kind of brainwashed programming that isn't present among any other champion.

How can you honestly believe that being accepted as an elite of Demacia will completely overwrite her previous character, attitude, attire, and aspirations?

I have faith in Runaan&Co.; they managed to make Diana something much more than Bizarro-Leona, and in a way that proved that being the enemy of a "good guy(girl)" doesn't make you a "bad guy(girl)". They inspired the forums to make banners, form polls, create in-game rivalries that get acted out in all chat to this day. I refuse to believe they would sabotage a champion before it even launched by throwing out who the champion is and was just because of who they currently associate with.

Umbral Invoker

02-09-2013

Want a mind blow?

Maybe Caleb (her dead brother she always talks about) is Swain. She hates traitors. He covers up half his face and then all his face when has power. They both have birds.

(This was out of place but Riot is here they need to make it happen)

Worlds Smu Giest

02-10-2013

She sounds like a Demacian Riven case kinda to me. Risen in the ranks acknowledged for skill, and given command. The exceptions of course being that Riven is an exile and not in-line with current Noxian high-command though a patriot of Noxus, and all the other emotional baggage that Riven has. That is what I have seen so far with Quinn.

Melancholy Exile

02-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worlds Smu Giest View Post
She sounds like a Demacian Riven case kinda to me. Risen in the ranks acknowledged for skill, and given command. The exceptions of course being that Riven is an exile and not in-line with current Noxian high-command though a patriot of Noxus, and all the other emotional baggage that Riven has. That is what I have seen so far with Quinn.
It really depends how you read it. I would say that Quinn is almost a direct inversion of Riven:

Riven is a traditional Noxian who dreamed of living up to her people's ideals and was celebrated and lauded for her achievements. She only later moved away when the loss of her company left her disillusioned with what her people truly stood for and still has love for the heart of her original ideals.

Quinn is something of an outsider in Demacia who always dreamed of defying their traditions and finding success, despite having been born a commoner. She's viewed with some suspicion by her people, and finds herself uncomfortable in her new role, because she isn't the person they expect to be championing their ideals.

Riven couldn't stand to do the things her people asked of her any longer, while Quinn isn't the person her people want representing them.

Alex3omg

02-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRunaan View Post

As the journal hints, there are many who don't trust or believe in her. Jarvan IV's "enabling" of Quinn was a controversial decision. Even though she's been "promoted," the upper class--those who have been born into the elite--won't necessarily greet her with open arms.

So... is Jarvan actually LeBlanc still?

Vashos

02-11-2013

I don't think her promotion by Jarvan matters a wit. I mean, look at Galio (who seems to have been forgotten here, poor gargoyle), he's not even a "Demacian" in the general sense as Galio isn't an organic being. He's an arcane construct, and assuming his magic is self-sustaining, he has the potential to outlive everyone around him. I feel his motivations toward Demacia are entirely his own, and his situation is the exact opposite of what you're worried about with Quinn. Instead of becoming something he wasn't by aligning with Demacia, he finally became what he was really meant to be.

In my headcanon, I've always considered Galio to be a bit of a "folk" hero specifically because he isn't the elite. He's a benevolent guardian who sits on the rooftops and bathes in the fountains and scares the poop out of the pigeons and can be seen flying over the city and inspiring the people. He's a presence, not a political figure. He doesn't need Jarvan's "persmisson" to treat Demacia as his domain, and I don't think the Demacian elite could push him out if they wanted to. Durand didn't make the sentinels for Demacia, he made them for the Demacian people. Galio belongs to the Demacian people and they belong to him.

Quinn is of the people and I imagine she will present in much the same way.

Solari Brigadier

02-13-2013

I look at Quinn's armor design and a part of me feels like Quinn isn't comfortable wearing all of this armor. She seems like she's stiff, a bit... overwhelmed even, by all of it. If that was intentional, then it's a damn good job by IronStylus and the Quinn team, because it reinforces her characterization (being elite and therefore forced to wear an outfit she might think is ridiculous or cumbersome).