Demacia Needs Heroes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Question Hound

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajesticRaven View Post
I'm a huge fan of the long shots. Which is why I can't stand cut and dry plots and will fight against them with all my might.

I actually think it'd be interesting if they set Quinn up as the plot device to reveal this mysterious Assassin.

Judging from their personality they seem to want a lot of attention as their motive, or they're making a name for them self and framing Talon as an attempt to challenge him.

Another thing I thought is that Val might be Caleb in some cursed state or something. Being in that location has fired Val up, and Quinn said Val reminds her of Caleb more and more every day. Living on with her to protect her and prove they are strong even after death.
There was an idea posted early on in the thread that I really liked, but since we pretty much know that "Val" is a real bird, it doesn't hold much water anymore. The idea, though, was that "Val" is an alternate personality of Quinn, and is the one responsible for the the crossings-out and scribbles on the Execution Order as well as the revisions in the journal.

MajesticRaven

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Hound View Post
You misunderstood me. Not a device as in like a physical contraption, but a device as in a plot device, a development in the story. MajesticRaven suggested that all of this build up for Quinn could actually be Riot's way of introducing a completely DIFFERENT character.
A character with a tough past trying to play hero to prove she is stronger than what the nobels told her she was. Going on a journey alone with nothing but her pet Val. Determined to catch this assassin who broke into Demacia, challenged the King, and got out clean. She finally comes to the assassin and then...

He kills her. Slightly impressed she'd gotten that far, and then goes about his business.

Bam!

Not saying that's how it should go, but just an example of what I was suggesting.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

02-08-2013
27 of 63 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendak View Post
When did Riot start doing lore again, and does this herald any serious effort at a continuous lore?
There is a serious effort. This is but one vehicle that we viewed as a good mechanism for this particular case, Think of this as an experiment and a prototype for delivering context and story.

Eledhan

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlighdividuo View Post
Calling it now, and anti-stealth champion
Yeah, I'm beginning to think so too...seeing as ADC's are all dangerously weak against assassins, it'd give players a chance to be able to "foresee" or mitigate assassin's strengths by playing Quinn.

In addition, Riot has been working on counters for stealth a lot lately...like with the implementation of the anti-teemo item (can't remember the dumb name now) recently updated to reveal stealth units.

NJ Gamer

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
There is a serious effort. This is but one vehicle that we viewed as a good mechanism for this particular case, Think of this as an experiment and a prototype for delivering context and story.
keep it up!

MajesticRaven

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
I actually do like this proto-type. It's slow moving, but it's a great way to reveal a new champion. We get to know the champion before we play the champion.

Edit: One of the biggest problems champions recently have had is that we don't know them before we really play them.

It's just like, here's the info from the PBE, all the stuff this champion does, and then you release the reveal in which (At least in my case) i read the skills, decide if I like them or not, and move on. Unless their play style catches my interesting I don't really care for them.

In this case, we know the champion. We know her past, her motives, her style of thinking, and it gives an extra level past *Do I like this play style* up to *I really like this champion as a character, so I might look past her skills to really get to know this champion*.

Xephen

02-08-2013

Quote:
Wait, so her pet bird transforms into...a different bird?
No I was saying what if it is not truly a bird, but something like shivanna that is part human sometimes and full bird other times.

Icker

02-08-2013

Not sure why but all of this set up for Quinn reminds me of a quote from Paine...

"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated"

Just saying.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

02-08-2013
28 of 63 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajesticRaven View Post
I actually do like this proto-type. It's slow moving, but it's a great way to reveal a new champion. We get to know the champion before we play the champion.
That's the goal =)

The Jenso

02-08-2013

Quote:
You misunderstood me. Not a device as in like a physical contraption, but a device as in a plot device, a development in the story. MajesticRaven suggested that all of this build up for Quinn could actually be Riot's way of introducing a completely DIFFERENT character.
I got that much, but it also sounds like it could be something a mastermind assassin could do to bring the Quinn, only person capable of bringing them down, out in the open to finish her off. With bringing Quinn down "C" could have everyone off of his trail, but the build up leads to a confrintation which both people walk away and Riot knocks two champs off on the lore reveal than just one.