Why do Game Developers think they know what the players want? What games failed you?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

atatatatatata

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I hear this a lot when people talk of TF2, but I'm skeptical; how would hats have prevented play? Wouldn't there be some associated cause that might have lined up in a similar timeframe?
I stopped playing TF2 consistently around the time hats were being released for non-hat related reasons, but my friends who still play only do so for the 6v6 scrim scene. From my experience, not only do players want a well-designed game, they also want something that's respectable. I was hesitant to play League for a long time because I felt it was a "baby" game compared to DotA, while I miss some of the complexity, I do enjoy both. With TF2, I think the hat economy spiraled out into such out-of-control numbers that it alienated the players who wanted just wanted to shoot stuff instead of having to deal with the hat hoarders and instead of continuing to associate themselves with a game that turned into a hat exhibition, they chose to leave it.

To be honest, the first few months of the hat craze were actually kinda scary for me. The servers I frequented had so much chat spam for and about hats once trading was implemented, it just became uncomfortable to deal with.

Morello

Lead Designer

02-08-2013
60 of 91 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo the Goat View Post
You lasted longer than I did. I think the biggest letdown for me with Guild Wars 2 was that I put thousands of hours into GW1. I understood that they were going to do a lot of things differently. ANet said they were making Guild Wars 2 to fix stuff they couldn't fix within the framework for Guild Wars 1. The problem was, I disagreed with what needed fixing I guess.

Guild Wars 2 simply had none of the gameplay elements of the original that I liked. The only thing that carried over for me was the art direction, which I still think is top of the industry (though, GW1 still impresses me more than GW2 because of its peers and the resources it uses). This makes me quite sad, because I don't think Guild Wars 1 was popular enough for anyone to ever make a true successor for it, unlike another of my favorite games: Diablo 2.
To be frank, I only made it to level 60 myself, but to give some insight, the intent wasn't to fix, it was to make a completely different game in the same setting. Not saying that's the defense, but the intent was never to capture anything remotely close to GW1.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

02-08-2013
61 of 91 Riot Posts

I don't know if this is relevant, and I haven't read eh-vuh-ree-thing in the thread, but we in the art department have this thing where if we ever hear anyone say "Well I know the player wants ____:" we laugh and possibly smack the person who said it upside the head. "Well, if you know can channel the players, can you rustle me up some lottery numbers?"

We have to be careful. We can never get complacent to think that "we know what people want". All we can do is put ourselves in the player's shoes, which we think we can do fairly well because we ARE players, and project our hopes, aspirations, and notions of what's cool to us onto our product. We make the leap of faith and hope that the things we feel are valuable to our experiences resonate to others. This is less about assumption or prediction and more about empathy. We're passionate, light-hearted, players with sophisticated tastes. We are our audience, so we try to take what we feel and blow it up. We want to be on the same frequency as our audience, the best way to do that is by being our audience! We want to feel all the same feels!

TheEnygma

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
I don't know if this is relevant, and I haven't read eh-vuh-ree-thing in the thread, but we in the art department have this thing where if we ever hear anyone say "Well I know the player wants ____:" we laugh and possibly smack the person who said it upside the head. "Well, if you know can channel the players, can you rustle me up some lottery numbers?"

We have to be careful. We can never get complacent to think that "we know what people want". All we can do is put ourselves in the player's shoes, which we think we can do fairly well because we ARE players, and project our hopes, aspirations, and notions of what's cool to us onto our product. We make the leap of faith and hope that the things we feel are valuable to our experiences resonate to others. This is less about assumption or prediction and more about empathy. We're passionate, light-hearted, players with sophisticated tastes. We are our audience, so we try to take what we feel and blow it up. We want to be on the same frequency as our audience, the best way to do that is by being our audience! We want to feel all the same feels!
well you know what the players want? more Quinn stuff ^_^

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

02-08-2013
62 of 91 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnygma View Post
well you know what the players want? more Quinn stuff ^_^
Patience =)

Angry Steak

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
"Well, if you know can channel the players, can you rustle me up some lottery numbers?"
2 32 34 6 8

Disclaimer: Not Garen-teed to work outside MO

<3

Fox P McCloud

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-08-2013

Fox heroes are required for any MOBA to be balanced.

WildLeon

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwIzTiDofAH View Post
Oh man I agree so much, with everything you said about COD. I already stopped playing CODBlops2 for alot of these reasons. My solution....halo....you live longer, and need to use more skill to headshot for longer periods. Also new borderlands ftw!
I played halo 3 and got to 46 skill then i realized it wasnt about skill anymore it was about grenade spam. Land a grenade and headshot count is only 1. If anything i was "pro" at bouncing grenades off surfaces...

Valteria

02-08-2013

Morello, you may or may not have already addressed some of these but I don't want to fish through the 70+ pages.

Has there been any consideration to halt future champion development to polish and expand existing content?

-More items (The arm guard is great, but more variety would be greater, how about an item that scales armor to your AP value?)
-VU's and Reworks (I mean come on look at Sion and Kennen.)
-What ever happened to achievements? (The blacked out option in your profile next to spells.)
-More profile pictures to go with the achievements? (starcraft stye, I think I would have earned a couple prestigious champion specific profile pictures by now .)
-fixing bugs, balancing champions that already have issues instead of creating more champions with more issues. (Remember Zyra? like seriously?)

Personally, seeing these kinds of updates would make me very excited for the future of LoL. Very excited.

Dex7ter

02-08-2013

What i wanted in LoL

1. champion select report, if u dont agree on kick at lest just get optio to report toxic players.
2. Remake duo, dont allow to destroy other people games if there to much elo rating difference.
3. In tribunal u should get 1 case, after player got 5 punish him, right now u can get only 1 game when u do it something wrong and players dont check other they just push the button, thats why i get ban 2 times in a row.
4. improve a lot ranked system now its sucks, now u have to get a realy luck to get up. If u dont improve this game sonn will have name League of luck
5. system that check if are 5 players realy conected to the game if not pause game and w8 max 5 min if not players who have dc lose points and rest dont have to play a 20 min game in most of the times.
6. Some icon system what u play in champion select.
We can give some icons every lane will have some special icons so when u connect to the champion select lobby u know what other players like to play.
7. i think playing with bots should be allowed only to test champions and dont give exp and ip, if u want to lvl up u account u should play normal games.
8.What if players cant log in and play in lol more then 1 month, he go trip or to hospital, u still will lose u rating even if u cant play with it i think it should be option to pause u rating. If u cant play u shouldnt lose that much or have a chance to get back to u true tier/ladder especially when now its much harder to go up.
9. Much better leaver system, i think leaver should lose more points then other players.
10. Much better support service, right now they send the same formula to every person they dont check the core of the problem.
11. Remove random pick.

i add few screens from my big colection.