@Riot: Where are all the programmers? :,(

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xXCrazyBarksXx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2013

Hows the handwriting of the programmers at riot?

WhattayaBrian

Engineer

02-07-2013
64 of 73 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXCrazyBarksXx View Post
Mine is terrible.

Chamenas

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhattayaBrian View Post
Mine is terrible.
You mean it does terrible terrible damage?

xXCrazyBarksXx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhattayaBrian View Post
Mine is terrible.
yay! so much for teachers telling me my writing is horrible. who needs it? XD

Anymeese

02-10-2013

Hey guys, I have another question that I've always wondered...

Why do games always do the whole.. "1 game(s)" thing? This bothered me so much in pokemon and now i just saw it in LoL Why not just say game if the number is 1, and games if the number is more than 1?

RiotSchmick

Software Engineer

Follow RiotSchmick on Twitter

02-10-2013
65 of 73 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anymeese View Post
Hey guys, I have another question that I've always wondered...

Why do games always do the whole.. "1 game(s)" thing? This bothered me so much in pokemon and now i just saw it in LoL Why not just say game if the number is 1, and games if the number is more than 1?
I'm not sure what were you saw that specifically, but it might be an issue related to plugging values into localized resource strings where pluralization rules vary depending on the language. Depending on exactly how your localization system is set up and how many strings you have and how many languages you have, trying to handle specific cases for each instance can get really painful. Imagine a language where one and two of an item both have specific rules versus more than two. The number of values you would have to manage in your resource bundles and do checks for before plugging them in starts to grow, multiplied by the number of places you have to do the checks. It can get pretty hairy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXCrazyBarksXx View Post
Depends on what I'm doing. If I'm just taking notes for myself, I don't bother and it's awful. If I'm writing a note for someone else and I make an effort, it's pretty good. It just depends on the audience. : )

Hexenir

02-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotSchmick View Post
I'm not sure what were you saw that specifically, but it might be an issue related to plugging values into localized resource strings where pluralization rules vary depending on the language.

Pizza on a Bun

02-10-2013

Usually how long are the programs that you guys create in C++ and Java?

Currently I'm creating a LoL eSports App using C++ that is a hub to other websites such as ChampionSelect.net and LeagueCraft.com.

It's my senior project for my Computer Programming and Simulations class in high school.

If you can't answer the question posted above, how much programming does it take to create a new champion and his/her abilities?

D3Reap3R

Emissary of the League

02-10-2013

I've started learning some Python and C++ by contributing to a public back-end project based on a popular mmorpg, which purposes on learning. Simple as that, I underestimated the variety, depth and the density of what there is and what I've yet to learn, however, I enjoy the factor of learning out of the actions that I do.

My question on a side note, what are your personal opinions on these - even if they are based on a public, popular game and the system itself is potentially abused for illegal use, would you condone it ? Just a personal opinion.

My actual question would be, what are the best ways (in your own opinion after having worked as programmer for countless years) of approaching a project. Layout, as in structure ("What do I want, how do I want it, what should I avoid ?"); Possibilities, as in how it can expand ("What could I add that would make it better to use, what could I do to improve it further afterwards, etc. ?"); Continuity ("What possible use could it have in the future ?")

Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotSchmick View Post
Depending on exactly how your localization system is set up and how many strings you have and how many languages you have, trying to handle specific cases for each instance can get really painful. Imagine a language where one and two of an item both have specific rules versus more than two.
Wouldn't that be a part of code clarity ? As in, a well-structured code could more easier avoid complex results and issues, as well as make it more precise ?

Thanks for the patience of answering the questions anyway

Jabe

02-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3Reap3R View Post
Wouldn't that be a part of code clarity ? As in, a well-structured code could more easier avoid complex results and issues, as well as make it more precise ?
Langauge is complex. Therefore, any code that generates it, parses it, or interacts with it is going to be complex. So rather than creating an elaborate language generation system that knows exactly how to pluralize everything for every language, just use shortcuts like "game(s)".