Boom Boom Vi - Srs Bsns Skin Concept

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Spookypatrol

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreestyleKneepad View Post
Thanks a bunch man, I'd appreciate any adivce you could give as far as concepting and drawing digitally goes. I've been drawing my whole life, but on the computer... not so much.
To be honest, I'm not sure what advice I can offer. I've been trying to record my screen while drawing to basically do my own "art spotlights" for a while now but it's a giant PITA to get the software and formatting to work and not hate me at some point during the process, so that hasn't gone over so well. I might be able to write up some tutorials at a later time as to how I personally do a few of my styles, but I can't guarantee when I can get those done. I can try to give verbal advice, but visual advice is definitely a ton more helpful when it comes to art, haha. Honestly, though, watching Riot's art spotlights have helped me a great deal with some of the basics and with coming up with new shading techniques. And there's always the option of googling for certain tutorials online, but I haven't personally had much luck in finding ones that don't totally blow, with the few exceptions of some of the more professional ones on deviantART. Basically, the most vital element is you pretty much need a tablet. With that a good way to start is to basically work with a very dark grey brush (not black necessarily, since black is so high contrast it sometimes actually looks less pleasing than using a grey, which looks more like natural pencil strokes imo) and shade like you would a pencil drawing. It's all in the brushes sometimes. There are some great brush sets available online (mostly on deviantART as well) if you aren't satisfied with the default brushes the program you use offers. If you can't get used to a brush that's pressure sensitive in terms of opacity (as a normal pencil would be) then a good way to get some shading in is to try crosshatching. But pressure sensitivity is pretty much a must to be honest.

I've probably stated a ton of stuff that you probably already know. Once again, verbal advice is generally garbage when it comes to art, haha, so I'm sorry about that. Wish I could be of more help right now. :/

FreestyleKneepad

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilcosby View Post
She should have a black eye,can't make Blitz look like he went out like a bezee
I tried a few drawings of that, and it really screwed up the look. I'm all for adding things that make it look like she was in a fight, but only if it doesn't take anything away from the "tough hot chick" look.

FreestyleKneepad

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookypatrol View Post
To be honest, I'm not sure what advice I can offer. I've been trying to record my screen while drawing to basically do my own "art spotlights" for a while now but it's a giant PITA to get the software and formatting to work and not hate me at some point during the process, so that hasn't gone over so well. I might be able to write up some tutorials at a later time as to how I personally do a few of my styles, but I can't guarantee when I can get those done. I can try to give verbal advice, but visual advice is definitely a ton more helpful when it comes to art, haha. Honestly, though, watching Riot's art spotlights have helped me a great deal with some of the basics and with coming up with new shading techniques. And there's always the option of googling for certain tutorials online, but I haven't personally had much luck in finding ones that don't totally blow, with the few exceptions of some of the more professional ones on deviantART. Basically, the most vital element is you pretty much need a tablet. With that a good way to start is to basically work with a very dark grey brush (not black necessarily, since black is so high contrast it sometimes actually looks less pleasing than using a grey, which looks more like natural pencil strokes imo) and shade like you would a pencil drawing. It's all in the brushes sometimes. There are some great brush sets available online (mostly on deviantART as well) if you aren't satisfied with the default brushes the program you use offers. If you can't get used to a brush that's pressure sensitive in terms of opacity (as a normal pencil would be) then a good way to get some shading in is to try crosshatching. But pressure sensitivity is pretty much a must to be honest.

I've probably stated a ton of stuff that you probably already know. Once again, verbal advice is generally garbage when it comes to art, haha, so I'm sorry about that. Wish I could be of more help right now. :/
I appreciate the advice- the reason I didn't do the art contest is because I have a tablet (an Intuos3 I got for xmas years ago, so it's not bad), but the pressure sensitivity is shot. Until I can get that working, there's not much I can do.

gentlemanswords

02-07-2013

Apart from that hair, everythings good.

sergeantpickle

02-07-2013

You could have her spin her arm like a softball pitcher's windup for Q charge up.

Spookypatrol

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreestyleKneepad View Post
I appreciate the advice- the reason I didn't do the art contest is because I have a tablet (an Intuos3 I got for xmas years ago, so it's not bad), but the pressure sensitivity is shot. Until I can get that working, there's not much I can do.
Ah damn. Yeah, without pressure sensitivity it makes digital drawing a virtual nightmare. Almost never looks good. You might be able to get away with vector drawings, but that's an entirely different technique I personally don't even do fantastically. When you get that fixed, though, I would definitely recommend getting yourself a solid brush set. Will make your life a lot easier. I can see later if I can link you to the set I personally use, actually.

FreestyleKneepad

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeantpickle View Post
You could have her spin her arm like a softball pitcher's windup for Q charge up.
That would be good for a more cartoony skin- which I would also play the hell out of- but it seems a bit silly for this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlemanswords View Post
Apart from that hair, everythings good.
I'm still iffy on the hair, which is why I drew a few different styles. I did like how Vi's skin had wildly different hair, so I wanted to do something similar with Boom Boom Vi.

FreestyleKneepad

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookypatrol View Post
Ah damn. Yeah, without pressure sensitivity it makes digital drawing a virtual nightmare. Almost never looks good. You might be able to get away with vector drawings, but that's an entirely different technique I personally don't even do fantastically. When you get that fixed, though, I would definitely recommend getting yourself a solid brush set. Will make your life a lot easier. I can see later if I can link you to the set I personally use, actually.
That would be awesome. Thanks a bunch for the support, man. I've been hoping to see Firedancer Draven, you've done a fantastic job with the thread.

Dryad Soraka

02-07-2013

i think soraka needs a couple new skins before we start thinking about vi

FreestyleKneepad

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by florrie View Post
i think soraka needs a couple new skins before we start thinking about vi
As much as I don't like Soraka (don't get me started), I agree wholeheartedly that she needs skins.

But seeing as Vi came out recently and Jayce is getting a second skin after... 6 months? Plus? It seems like a good idea to throw my idea out there before they get really into something else. Might give it a better chance of happening, you know?