Why do Game Developers think they know what the players want? What games failed you?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Space Wizzard

02-07-2013

Yo Morello, I wanna know why every season a sweep of new changes comes through. I mean you work so hard at balancing the current game for a year and then you decide to start from square one again. Are there subtilties I'm not noticing that made the game better because of the season 3 changes? Is the game in a healthier state than it was at the end of season 2? Im pretty curious about this.

Dogadewd

02-07-2013

@ Morello

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...1#post34407591

ARAM match making with a few conditions...

4,931 Replies

Mostly gone unnoticed...until now, when you formally give us a verdict on ARAMs future.

I hate being the direct and pushy guy, but lets face it...for a post that started back in 07-08-12...having only 5 riot employee posts on such a LARGE forum post with relevant topic, I cant help but feel a little angry.

Dogadewd <---with a capital D

P.S. You said be vocal.

Bernablanco

02-07-2013

I think that (i am going to write in spanish becasue is easier) deberian de hacer un balanceo general a algunos champs han traido objetos nuevos en esta season 3 hemos visto champs q han sido utilizados mas seguidos en ranked games pero q pasa con los demas, eso a aumentado la facilidad de juego para los jugadores... En la partidas ranked se ve el uso excesivo de los mismos champs... Lo q cause q its boring play lol... Cansa ver los mismos campeones con las mismas tecnicas y estrategias de juego... Creo q se deberia de invertir en algunos champs veteranos ciertos objetos... Una pequeña mejora (buff) we want to enjoy in this game...

Sinspurch

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
We did with Sejuani - so the newer ones will likely do this. Heimer and Karma already have a direction that we approve of, so I think we might be sending the message of "looking for ideas" when we'll be in a "looking for feedback on results" more soon.
I think the way you guys presented the remade Twitch and Evelynn was an excellent way to inform us on how/what you did to make those champions and stealth, which should be done the same way for Heimer and Karma, i read all the changes to Twitch and Eve and it was fun.

Morello

Lead Designer

02-07-2013
57 of 91 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogadewd View Post
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...1#post34407591

ARAM match making with a few conditions...

4,931 Replies

Mostly gone unnoticed...until now, when you formally give us a verdict on ARAMs future.

I hate being the direct and pushy guy, but lets face it...for a post that started back in 07-08-12...having only 5 riot employee posts on such a LARGE forum post with relevant topic, I cant help but feel a little angry.

Dogadewd <---with a capital D

P.S. You said be vocal.
Sometimes, we need to be quiet about things. This is one of those things ;x

innervation

02-07-2013

quiet for how long???? We <3 ARAMs

Morello

Lead Designer

02-07-2013
58 of 91 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph Stalin View Post
Yo Morello, I wanna know why every season a sweep of new changes comes through. I mean you work so hard at balancing the current game for a year and then you decide to start from square one again. Are there subtilties I'm not noticing that made the game better because of the season 3 changes? Is the game in a healthier state than it was at the end of season 2? Im pretty curious about this.
It's framework changes to deal with the sort of problems that balancing alone cannot. I'd say some things are better now (new options and champ viability overall, looking at recent tournies) while others need more work (item versatility and stat balancing).

So, we usually do these things to make sure we can solve some of the long-standing problems. The cost of that can often come with short-term balance issues while we work the kinks out.

Morello

Lead Designer

02-07-2013
59 of 91 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinspurch View Post
I think the way you guys presented the remade Twitch and Evelynn was an excellent way to inform us on how/what you did to make those champions and stealth, which should be done the same way for Heimer and Karma, i read all the changes to Twitch and Eve and it was fun.
I liked those too - I think they went a long way to set expectations. I agree.

Arctic Bro

02-07-2013

shutdown

DrTemptragon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2013

Morello, sorry to be whingy about this, but when are we seeing more Bilgewater or Zaun champs? We haven't seen any in over a year and they have less than everyone else to begin with.

Bilgewater I can see as hard to make concepts for, but my beloved Zaun...