MASSIVE Leagues bug EXTREME GLITCH

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

blackraven1425

02-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragefaceherpderp View Post
Most college writing handbooks advocate the addition of s after the apostrophe--though The Blair Handbook (2003) does include an escape clause: "For singular nouns ending in s, it is always correct to form the possessive by adding both an apostrophe and -s. However, if pronouncing the additional syllable is awkward--as with last names that sound like plurals--some writers add only an apostrophe."

http://grammar.about.com/b/2008/01/2...ss-website.htm
Well, The Chicago Manual of Style disagrees. Either way, it's really up to the writer, since there's no consensus on the issue.

blackraven1425

02-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhattayaBrian View Post
Be careful here. Darius' implies that there are two or more Dariu, or some singular form of Darius, which is nonsense. If there were two people named Darius and you wanted to refer to them both at once, they would be "the Dariuses" (alt. "the Darii"). However, this comes up so rarely in common parlance that it sounds strange.

Let us remember Office Space:

"I got a meeting with the Bobs in a couple of minutes."
There's no consensus on it. You were probably taught that the apostrophe S is always used, and I was taught that the apostrophe never has an S when the word is -S. Here's some sourcing for it, which clearly indicates nobody agrees on this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostro...E2.80.9D_sound

fmwyso

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhattayaBrian View Post
Singular possessive adds an apostrophe s, regardless of the letter the word ends in, barring exceptions like "its".

While it's true that it can be acceptable to do the alternative depending on where you go, the fewer silly rules we have in grammar, the better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.meredith.edu/grammar/plural.htm
Singular possessive
The possessive form of a singular noun is an apostrophe followed by the letter "s."

Kramer's hair
Daphne's patience
the car's engine

Words ending with s, z or x generally omit the "s."

Dr. Seuss' sense of humor
By generally, I believe this rule applies to any use where a general public audience is being given text. As much fun as it would be to perfect english by ridding its silly rules, it's vital to remain generally consistent in its inconsistency. In other words, you throw out the concept of not having silly rules as soon as you start speaking in english; by inherent design.

One could easily create a philosophical argument to why english should, or should not, go for "silly rules"; but the definite fact to be resolved is that english does encourage silly rules. I don't think english is the language anyone should be speaking if they want to avoid silly rules, so why attempt to avoid them when you are going towards them? Sounds most silly to me after all, to use the most silly language and attempt to make it concrete.

ricklessabandon

qa analyst

02-06-2013
3 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven1425 View Post
Well, The Chicago Manual of Style disagrees.
disagrees with which part, exactly? the bit you quoted seems aligned with the chicago manual of style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chicago Manual of Style (16th Edition), 7.15
The possessive of most singular nouns is formed by adding an apostrophe and an s. The possessive of plural nouns (except for a few irregular plurals, like children, that do not end in s) is formed by adding an apostrophe only. For the few exceptions to these principles, see 7.19-21. See also 5.19.
it would follow that the examples given in the original post (e.g., darius's wizards) are correct as well. judging by the chicago manual of style, that is.

Anymeese

02-06-2013

+1 for "s's"! "s' " just looks stupid unless its plural

Bainer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-06-2013

Wow people, please check your grammar before you post and support arbitrary incorrect qq threads. It makes you look silly

Wootskittles

02-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anymeese View Post
+1 for "s's"! "s' " just looks stupid unless its plural
I'm not even going to try to figure that one out +1

Kirbyfreek33

02-06-2013

I think the bigger problem is why Darius has a team of wizards. He does NOT seem like the type to like magic.

Sardis Jett

02-06-2013

I love went people post a thread, qqing. Then a rioter comes out and BAM wins thread

Kelberry

02-06-2013

They did this so they don't have the program that in. So they can just always add "'s" reguardless of the ending letter, I suppose it saves them like a line of code...