MASSIVE Leagues bug EXTREME GLITCH

First Riot Post
12345678 ... 12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HolyHammerStrike

Senior Member

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdeez59 View Post
it's accepted in english language as either way actually darius' or darius's.

the extra s is becoming more acceptable than it used to be.
That's because we keep nerfing the English language because people won't learn how to use it properly.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fappie

Senior Member

02-05-2013

Easy rule of sentence forming: If it sounds good it's probably right, if it doesn't it's probably wrong.

Nasus' SUPER DEATH TEAM sounds far better than Nasus's SUPER DEATH TEAM, simply because of how you pronounce Nasus.

On the hand hand, I like Darius's over Darius' for the same reason.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WhattayaBrian

Engineer

02-05-2013
1 of 3 Riot Posts

Singular possessive adds an apostrophe s, regardless of the letter the word ends in, barring exceptions like "its".

While it's true that it can be acceptable to do the alternative depending on where you go, the fewer silly rules we have in grammar, the better.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TwR

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhattayaBrian View Post
Singular possessive adds an apostrophe s, regardless of the letter the word ends in, barring exceptions like "its".

While it's true that it can be acceptable to do the alternative depending on where you go, the fewer silly rules we have in grammar, the better.
Unless their name ends with an "s" than you only use the apostrophe.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

octavian1127

Senior Member

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kody119 View Post
WRONG SIR!

he's correct. In the case of an S at the end of a name that is NOT PLURAL you just put an apostrophe; there is no need for the extra S and is horrible grammar and will get you marked down on college papers.

source: college level Lang. (I believe it was updated this year, or last. not fully sure.)


edit: found it: "With singular proper names ending in -s, insists the AP Stylebook, "Use only an apostrophe: Achilles' heel, Agnes' book, Ceres' rites"--a ruling upheld by the most recent edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association"


as such, "Darius' Wizards" falls into this classification.
this only applies to the types of examples you cited, where it already sounds like a plural. notice the way all three end in -es? as opposed to the league names that end in -us?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CannibalMoose

Senior Member

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhattayaBrian View Post
Singular possessive adds an apostrophe s, regardless of the letter the word ends in, barring exceptions like "its".

While it's true that it can be acceptable to do the alternative depending on where you go, the fewer silly rules we have in grammar, the better.
don't worry guys, engineer whattayabrian confirmed that there's no grammatical error.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Schtauffenz

Senior Member

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwR Phoenix View Post
Unless their name ends with an "s" than you only use the apostrophe.
No. You're wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/apostro.asp
NOTE: Although names ending in s or an s sound are not required to have the second s added in possessive form, it is preferred.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WarlordAlpha

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-05-2013

Oh god what have I started here

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannibalMoose View Post
don't worry guys, engineer whattayabrian confirmed that there's no grammatical error.
Well, at the very least, he confirmed that it's grammatically consistent, which does count for something, even if it looks funny.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

One Week Ago

Senior Member

02-05-2013

It is actually a preference on whether to use an apostrophe 's' or not.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Samuel Lee

Senior Member

02-05-2013

darius's wizards???


12345678 ... 12