Why do Game Developers think they know what the players want? What games failed you?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

vitalityx3

02-05-2013

man, the combat system in gunz was freaking awesome. probably the most keyboarding mashing/APM game. i only got to like lvl 51 or something. but oh wells

Alice Twilight

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Technical reasons.
Follow-up: Do you have any further thoughts you'd like to share on the subject?

Zerglinator

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamor View Post
I love how this gos from a whole bunch of games that were a letdown to LOL to WOW to smashbrothers to WOW. I love this thread. I even learned that metaknight is OP as hell. Just go with the meta.
...knight.

Morello

Lead Designer

02-05-2013
41 of 91 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Twilight View Post
Follow-up: Do you have any further thoughts you'd like to share on the subject?
It's one of those natural things that can happen when you make a game, but once it's there, i think you leave it. It's not very problematic and players are used to it (if we were talking about a new game, likely would be more deliberate about it either way).

toytoytoy

02-05-2013

The Mega Man X series after X6....

Tesla Effect

02-05-2013

Mass Effect 3
Command & Conquer 4 Tiberium Twilight
Sims 3
Dragon Age 2

Mikhal

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2013

I'll be honest, I do like Riot's balancing team, but I didn't know you had such a good sense of "why" you're doing things. My respect for you guys has only gone up. I've begun to believe that a lot of developers didn't know why they did things anymore; they just do things for money/appease their fanbase.

I lost faith when Diablo 3 happened. I beat it in hardcore and softcore and still felt like it was lacking in depth and design direction, especially since all they do is nerf, nerf, and nerf, when their beta videos had so much intuition and had an interesting thought process.

ShawNuff

02-05-2013

Quote:
It's one of those natural things that can happen when you make a game, but once it's there, i think you leave it. It's not very problematic and players are used to it (if we were talking about a new game, likely would be more deliberate about it either way).
Is minimization of animation canceling something that influences your future designs (Syndra for example can pretty much move freely while casting without much effort to cancel) or do you think its a positive mechanic to have.

Calypsx

02-05-2013

Quote:
BTW, this happened a lot with DotA players with League when we launched. Denying and fog-juking "made MOBA", but I think it's pretty clear that's not true :P
Except Dota is an ARTS not a MOBA... Please respect the names the developers wish to prefer it by. MOBA is a term made for this game.

Morello

Lead Designer

02-05-2013
42 of 91 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawNuff View Post
Is minimization of animation canceling something that influences your future designs (Syndra for example can pretty much move freely while casting without much effort to cancel) or do you think its a positive mechanic to have.
I think it's a lot of "free power," and I'd only include move-while-cast if the feel of the character were reliant upon it. Additionally, stopping to cast or attack is one of the biggest visual queues that action is occurring in many cases, and gives your brain just a little more time to react.