Can gangplank still be built as a critcannon?

First Riot Post
123456 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sorgklaan

02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedonismBot420 View Post
Critplank is fun as hell, but I only play it in normals.

It is really fun walking into lane and getting a crit on your first Q and the enemy has to instantly chug a pot. But it's not super viable, so I don't play him in ranked.

But that's the whole point, I want to play critplank in ranked. :|

The Sound

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-04-2013

My preferred build is:

Boots (usually Merc's)
Warmogs
GA
Infinity Edge
Triforce
Atma's

I run crit red's on him as well, end up with a 58% crit chance. The only problem is armor pen, but honestly I just try to focus squishies first.

EDIT: If you want to be manly, substitute Last Whisper for GA.

Auspexa

02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorgklaan View Post
Does Parrley cause Statikk Shiv to activate? if so, that would be awesome.
Of course

Sorgklaan

02-04-2013

bump

IS17b0de177b68a0d867573

02-04-2013

Quote:
Does Parrley cause Statikk Shiv to activate? if so, that would be awesome.
Yes it does

V1nushka

02-04-2013

I wouldn't recommend it in ranked unless you think your opponent is gonna be super easy. His early poke is just pitiful without crit. His money making ability is #1 for sure though. I think as long as you get a Warmogs for your 2nd or 3rd full item, he can be extremely powerful and have all the survivability he needs for the early to mid, but you gotta either have a pro CS count, or a good CS count with decent amounts of kills. That crit build only shines when he totally out itemizes or outlevels the people he's fighting. Much like Shaco jungle. If your team doesn't play up to snuff, and things start going downhill for ya, it's a big problem. That's one of the reasons if I ever play him in normals, I always go Philosopher stone + avarice blade ASAP. That with his parlay passive makes for great gold making so long as you don't get pushed out of lane.

I've experimented some using utility spec for the gp/5 and gp/5 quints too for even faster gold making in the sense you can get like 3 full items by the 15-16 min mark just farming if you're left unchecked. That also works, but I'd never try that against a strong top like Darius, Olaf, Lee Sin, Irelia, Renekton, etc. Too risky with the amount of burst those guys can chunk off you, and they're bound to impose their will on you. If you try it, just remember to make those GP/5 items and last hitting with parlay from a safe distance a priority. You really don't have the mana sustain to parlay for harass, especially when it's only going to do one block of HP in dmg. If you don't die, or get pressured, that alone will turn you into a powerhouse at least for a little while.

Sorgklaan

02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1nushka View Post
I wouldn't recommend it in ranked unless you think your opponent is gonna be super easy. His early poke is just pitiful without crit. His money making ability is #1 for sure though. I think as long as you get a Warmogs for your 2nd or 3rd full item, he can be extremely powerful and have all the survivability he needs for the early to mid, but you gotta either have a pro CS count, or a good CS count with decent amounts of kills. That crit build only shines when he totally out itemizes or outlevels the people he's fighting. Much like Shaco jungle. If your team doesn't play up to snuff, and things start going downhill for ya, it's a big problem. That's one of the reasons if I ever play him in normals, I always go Philosopher stone + avarice blade ASAP. That with his parlay passive makes for great gold making so long as you don't get pushed out of lane.

I've experimented some using utility spec for the gp/5 and gp/5 quints too for even faster gold making in the sense you can get like 3 full items by the 15-16 min mark just farming if you're left unchecked. That also works, but I'd never try that against a strong top like Darius, Olaf, Lee Sin, Irelia, Renekton, etc. Too risky with the amount of burst those guys can chunk off you, and they're bound to impose their will on you. If you try it, just remember to make those GP/5 items and last hitting with parlay from a safe distance a priority. You really don't have the mana sustain to parlay for harass, especially when it's only going to do one block of HP in dmg. If you don't die, or get pressured, that alone will turn you into a powerhouse at least for a little while.

And the fix to this is:

1. Passive farm
or
2. Jungle

You're thinking about it too much without realizing " yeah, they can kick my ass, but I can just sit back here and farm all day and get 10 more gold than them for every lasthit. "

Stankbeetle

02-04-2013

Quote:
But that's the whole point, I want to play critplank in ranked. :|
It is possible to play Critplank in ranked, if you are good enough, just as it is in normals. HOWEVER, since GP is currently a second tier top lane, he is best considered as an "invitation only" champion. What I mean is that he should never, ever be a first pick. There simply too many counters and strong options to shut him down.

If I am team captain and I pick GP right away, the enemy knows that it is practically a guarantee that I am going top with him. They have a choice of counter picking Fiora, Jax, or Pantheon to make my parley completely ineffective, rendering my options for dealing damage practically zero. If they do not want to play any of those champs, they also have the option of going with Jayce, Yorick, Kha'Zix, Olaf, Nidalee, or other champions with better burst, range and sustain. First-picking GP is basically surrendering top lane right from the champ select screen.

HOWEVER, if you are one of the last people to pick, and you are fairly sure that their Shen, Nasus, Cho'Gath, Garen, or another fairly passive, farming champ with low burst potential is going top, then consider it an invitation to play GP. Rather than playing aggressively out the gate, just out-farm them until you can get your crit chance up so that you become a major threat mid-late game.

My Critplank build is Infinity Edge, Phantom Dancer, Youmuu's Ghostblade, Warmog's, Iceborn Gauntlet, and Merc's Treads. With my 20% crit-chance rune page, this finished build gives me a 9/10 chance to crit, along with enough survivability to not die instantly, a spellblade that procs and slows every parley, some armor pen and an extra speed-boost for chases and escapes, everything a critplank needs and more. For masteries i go 4/22/4. The defense is to help compensate for lack of armor in early levels before I finish Iceborn, and gives me safety as I concentrate on building crit-chance and offense items.

Hope this helps and remember to always pick GP responsibly, good luck in solo-queue.

Sorgklaan

02-04-2013

I don't believe in the whole first tier, second tier ****. if he's really " second tier " he should be buffed. if not, I'm playing him anyways.

Arts Articuno

02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlemeyer View Post
It is possible to play Critplank in ranked, if you are good enough, just as it is in normals. HOWEVER, since GP is currently a second tier top lane, he is best considered as an "invitation only" champion. What I mean is that he should never, ever be a first pick. There simply too many counters and strong options to shut him down.

If I am team captain and I pick GP right away, the enemy knows that it is practically a guarantee that I am going top with him. They have a choice of counter picking Fiora, Jax, or Pantheon to make my parley completely ineffective, rendering my options for dealing damage practically zero. If they do not want to play any of those champs, they also have the option of going with Jayce, Yorick, Kha'Zix, Olaf, Nidalee, or other champions with better burst, range and sustain. First-picking GP is basically surrendering top lane right from the champ select screen.

HOWEVER, if you are one of the last people to pick, and you are fairly sure that their Shen, Nasus, Cho'Gath, Garen, or another fairly passive, farming champ with low burst potential is going top, then consider it an invitation to play GP. Rather than playing aggressively out the gate, just out-farm them until you can get your crit chance up so that you become a major threat mid-late game.

My Critplank build is Infinity Edge, Phantom Dancer, Youmuu's Ghostblade, Warmog's, Iceborn Gauntlet, and Merc's Treads. With my 20% crit-chance rune page, this finished build gives me a 9/10 chance to crit, along with enough survivability to not die instantly, a spellblade that procs and slows every parley, some armor pen and an extra speed-boost for chases and escapes, everything a critplank needs and more. For masteries i go 4/22/4. The defense is to help compensate for lack of armor in early levels before I finish Iceborn, and gives me safety as I concentrate on building crit-chance and offense items.

Hope this helps and remember to always pick GP responsibly, good luck in solo-queue.
I don't think I ever lost to a jax or fiora top as gp but maybe they were just bad:/

123456 ... 8