Just Some Draven Tips

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PinoyShot

02-03-2013

Hey, here's to you, fellow Summoner; some Draven tips to help you dominate bot lane.

• For runes, go for flat attack damage/armor penetration marks, armor seals, scaling magic resist glyphs, and attack damage/armor penetration quints; remember that attack damage runes increases Draven's effectiveness during early game, and armor penetration runes increases Draven's effectiveness mid to late game. For masteries, go 21/9/0 with an emphasis on attack damage, attack speed, and armor penetration.

• Can your partner protect you (i.e. shield, heal, fear, etc.) from incoming damage? Start off with a Long Sword and two potions, then go for Boots of Speed followed by the Bloodthirster. If not, start off with Boots of Speed and three potions, then rush the Bloodthirster for sustain in your lane.

• Draven's Spinning Axes (Q) skill modifies his auto-attack, boosting the power of his next auto-attack. When his axes hit, they bounce off his target, and will land in an area marked by an icon (seen by both friendlies and enemies); if caught upon landing, Spinning Axes will be refreshed instantaneously at no cost. Spinning Axes can stack up to 3 times (however, having three stacks requires you to juggle all three; catching the third axe while having two in your hands will make it magically disappear).

• When thrown while standing, a Spinning Axe will return to/near your current position. If you move right after you throw an axe, it will land in your path; use this to your advantage! For example, you can safely farm by throwing a Spinning Axe, then moving away from the target (towards your turret); this will ensure that your axe lands safely away from any danger. Or you can move towards a target to ensure your Spinning Axe lands near your target, which means you can chase any enemy champions and still do massive damage.

• Catching axes has many benefits; the longer you catch them, the more mana you save. Also, you'll always deal an impressive amount of damage. You should catch axes, but don't catch them when they will get you killed! At times it's better to just drop an axe.

• Abuse the hell out of your Spinning Axes skill; use it to farm and harass enemy champions, it does quite some damage plus activates his passive, Wicked Blades, which deals damage over time.

• Always have at least one axe spinning during combat. Draven's damage is pretty low when attacking without an active Spinning Axe.

• DO NOT get tunnel vision while throwing/catching axes. Be aware of your surroundings!

• Draven is a monster late-game if you can juggle two/three axes. Learn how to juggle, and you will be a beast among men; one way to juggle is to attack from a stationary spot so your axes land relatively close to you.

• Draven's Blood Rush (W) skill boosts both movement speed (for 1 second) and attack speed (for 3 seconds); its cooldown is instantly refreshed if you catch an axe. Use this to your advantage in a fight to raise your DPS!

• If you get caught by an opponent and escape will ultimately lead to your death (i.e. Master Yi activates his Highlander skill and is rushing towards you), activate your Spinning Axe and attack from a stationary location. Continuously activate Blood Rush after every catch and you might be able to survive the attack and leave with a kill!

• If opponents are running, you can chase by hitting them with a Spinning Axe, catching said axe, and using Blood Rush to chase. The same tactic can be used for retreating, as well.

• Draven's Stand Aside (E) skill is a skillshot that slows targets hit and temporarily disrupts them by pushing them aside; this skill can be used in a defensive style (slow and push incoming enemy champions), or offensively (slow and push enemy champions that you will be engaging, or interrupt an opponent during a duel to output more damage than them).

• Stand Aside can also be used to cancel enemy ultimates such as Katarina's Death Lotus, or Nunu's Absolute Zero. Hold onto this skill in large team fights so you can deny their ultimates like a boss!

• Additionally, a well-timed Stand Aside can deny an opponent's gap-closing skill if timed properly; however, the damage from that particular skill will still be inflicted to Draven. Imagine this: Jax is about to leap on Draven with his Leap Strike. If Draven lands a Stand Aside on Jax while he is in mid-flight, Jax will be pushed aside and his Leap Strike will be rendered useless. This does not apply to all gap-closing skills, such as Fizz's infamous Playful/Trickster skill.

• A good combo for Draven would be E > W > Q > Auto-attack; basically, you slow/push, rush in, and throw your axes. If possible, have an axe already spinning to do even more damage. Remember, more axes means more damage.

• Draven's ultimate, Whirling Death (R), is a global ultimate where Draven throws his axes across the map; these axes will also grant vision as it travels. Unlike Ezreal's Trueshot Barrage, however, these axes will slow down and return to Draven if it hits an enemy champion or if you press R a second time after throwing your axes. Be sure to have a clear line of sight on your target before using Whirling Death!

• Additionally, Whirling Death can be used to steal objectives such as red/blue buff, Dragon, and Baron. Use this if you think you can do enough damage to steal the enemy's objective!

• Try not to use Whirling Death too early; use it when you know you can secure kill(s) or if you can hit multiple opponents that are low on health. If needed, you can reposition Draven if your target tries to juke/dodge your Whirling Death on its return.

Hope this helps you out! Got any other Draven tips that I didn't mention? Post them below for the benefit of the League of Draven!

Tips not enough for you? Read this guide: http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...nocking-259761
Tips and the guide still not good enough? Watch Aphromoo play as Draven (he kicks ass, btw): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7c92R45roY

10 Feb 13, edited starting items
11 Feb 13, elaborated on Stand Aside VS other skills
25 Feb 13, elaborated on safe farming/chasing with Spinning Axe

Sessha

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-04-2013

I agree with most of it, my thing would just be to start with a long sword and 2 pots, not boots and 3 pots. My reasoning is that Draven is strong through out the game, but he really shines in early laning when he out damages all other ad's by a supreme margin(especially when running full armpen marks/quints) I can almost always get a lvl 2 first blood with the surprising amount of damage I can throw out on the enemy. They are not ready to have a spinning axe hit them at lvl 2 for 1/4th of their HP and then put a true damage dot on them(the armpen makes you deal true damage 85% of the time at start)

PinoyShot

02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sessha View Post
I agree with most of it, my thing would just be to start with a long sword and 2 pots, not boots and 3 pots. My reasoning is that Draven is strong through out the game, but he really shines in early laning when he out damages all other ad's by a supreme margin(especially when running full armpen marks/quints) I can almost always get a lvl 2 first blood with the surprising amount of damage I can throw out on the enemy. They are not ready to have a spinning axe hit them at lvl 2 for 1/4th of their HP and then put a true damage dot on them(the armpen makes you deal true damage 85% of the time at start)
Your starting loadout might be best if your lane partner can provide you healing/shielding; that extra potion could mean the difference between life or death. However, for my next, game, I'll pick up a long sword instead of boots to see if I can score an early first blood.

Thanks for the input, definitely worth a try!

Sessha

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyShot View Post
Your starting loadout might be best if your lane partner can provide you healing/shielding; that extra potion could mean the difference between life or death. However, for my next, game, I'll pick up a long sword instead of boots to see if I can score an early first blood.

Thanks for the input, definitely worth a try!
No problem. And yea that is a big help, but also if they can just stop the enemy reaching you, I lane alot with a friend who runs support fiddle and everytime the enemy comes forward to try and harass he just fears em, silence and I get 2 free axes off.

PinoyShot

02-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sessha View Post
No problem. And yea that is a big help, but also if they can just stop the enemy reaching you, I lane alot with a friend who runs support fiddle and everytime the enemy comes forward to try and harass he just fears em, silence and I get 2 free axes off.
I tried your approach with Janna as my partner (premade with good communication), and might I say, I dominated bot lane to the point where I got fed and the enemy team ended up surrendering at 32:39 with my KD ratio at 10/1. Good tips, man; gonna make an edit in fact.

Thanks again!

Hirumonogatari

02-10-2013

how does stand aside interrupt jax's leap strike? it's not a channeled spell...

PinoyShot

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSZHUNG View Post
how does stand aside interrupt jax's leap strike? it's not a channeled spell...
I'm sorry, that was a bit vague. Draven's Stand Aside cannot cancel a gap-closer such as Jax's Leap Strike; however, if it hits a champion who is currently using a skill to close the gap between themselves and Draven, they are stopped right in their tracks.

This is very useful, since Draven is a pretty squishy champion.

Thank you for pointing that out, I'll make an edit.

PinoyShot

02-28-2013

And thus, this thread rose from the dead.

Bump.

wingedCORNDOG

3 Weeks Ago

thanks it helped

FantasySniper

3 Weeks Ago

Dat necro-post