Riot - Please Respond regarding AUSTRALIAN / OCEANIC Server

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

d3vlyn

02-04-2013

Bumping this because it isn't that hard to put a server farm in Australia. Many lower budget games have done so off the bat, with nowhere near as much support in Aus as LOL already has. Since the new league system, I've really wanted to compete against my other league members, but it would be far more interesting in a smaller competition against local players.

We can't keep playing at 200+ ms pings. Us Aussies have to live with the fact that we can only play some champs at 50% effectiveness, such as; blitz, ezreal, lee sin, brand. The delay causes us to have to predict enemy movement far further ahead.

I'm sure an Aussie league would give the NA scene a run for its money, just let us actually play on LAN speeds.

Riot, do something.

iRiquee

02-04-2013

Riot forever giving 0 shts.... i play on 250 ping ALL THE TIME and when riot has issues i get 320-350 zzz this is so annoying

thekous

02-04-2013

brazil

Fundo

02-04-2013

Bump for an Australian server, the ping sucks on NA

pjsk

02-04-2013

I'm from Australia, my best ping ever has been 220 ping... I can only imagine playing on <40 ping

NZ Firetruck

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-04-2013

Bumping at a time that perhaps more reds are likely to see this thread. Still after the coveted response that actually lets us know if there's anything planned.

Shalebridge

02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3vlyn View Post
Bumping this because it isn't that hard to put a server farm in Australia. Many lower budget games have done so off the bat, with nowhere near as much support in Aus as LOL already has. Since the new league system, I've really wanted to compete against my other league members, but it would be far more interesting in a smaller competition against local players.

We can't keep playing at 200+ ms pings. Us Aussies have to live with the fact that we can only play some champs at 50% effectiveness, such as; blitz, ezreal, lee sin, brand. The delay causes us to have to predict enemy movement far further ahead.

I'm sure an Aussie league would give the NA scene a run for its money, just let us actually play on LAN speeds.

Riot, do something.
^

pieceofpecanpie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-04-2013

So I'll just post this here.

Much like the one useless red post here, the Australian LoL Players thread was also met with one similarly useless. Although I consider it an even meaner response. Here it is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGoGoGo View Post
Hi guys, sorry for our silence on this thread.

We know you’re playing under bad pings and suffering from peak-hour patch-time and that’s not cool. We’ve been investigating the issue for quite awhile already. I personally visited Sydney a few months ago and had a chance to talk to a lot of people in the industry and got some insight into the problem.

Our research is still ongoing, but we’re learning a lot and making progress evaluating various solutions. We’re dedicated to improving your Leagueof Legends experience, so please accept our apology for the delay.
Feels a bit like baiting a mule with not a physical carrot on a stick, but cajoling them that carrots do exist and that they can even be placed on tempting sticks and that you may do so as soon as you find both these things. Thus, Aus LoL players (the mule) don't even know which direction to turn as we search despairingly for the place where this delicious carrot may appear from.

Here was my initial response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceofpecanpie
So roughly translated "Hi guys, I'd like to chat but can't really say anything. We still love you though. Thanks."

If I gave my girlfriend that **** she'd see straight through me and slap my arse silly.

How about a genuine response? What issues have you been investigating? What insights did you gather personally in Sydney? What solutions are you evaluating? Is there anything we could or should be doing to help you? Are you looking into setting up a server or is it in the too hard pile?

What I - and most likely many other Australian/NZ based LoL players - would appreciate most is to hear where you're at with this. That there doesn't qualify as a response. It makes for a fun let's-fill-in-the-blanks-game for ourselves, but in terms of providing any shred of hope or evidence that you are working on something it does not. For all I know you wandered around the opera house for a week and had a couple of catch up chats with friends.

If you want to interact with your playing community then do it like you mean it. I am sure there are many players here - including myself - who are more than willing to help, provide feedback, campaign against stupid laws or whatnot or do anything in any way that will make a difference. If you are stuck and can't find a solution, tell us! If you're stringing us along and aren't committed to a server at all then at least have the balls to throw that out there and we'll have a chance to reconsider our consumer loyalty.

I'm sorry but this jerky response just isn't good enough. The question about a server was posed back in the day, you made the decision to open the door to us and make it seem like you'd explore the option. You're at least committed to providing a proper response. I think the majority of gamers here would be happier to hear bad news rather than vague niceties.
Just thought I'd share that in this thread.

R3dund4ncy

02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3vlyn View Post

Riot, do something.
I can write a huge (several paragraph) post detailing why it actually is quite difficult to build a server farm in Australia, but I can't be bothered for this thread. The reason that many smaller games have been able to do it is BECAUSE they are smaller games. For Riot to introduce a server, it would probably cost them tens of times more than it costs Valve to maintain a server for Dota 2. For a game as large as LoL, we're talking about a huge amount of money here.

I want an Australian server, I really do, I want it to be on a VPN linked to the NA server, I want a 50ms ping, I want all of these things, however I don't realistically see Riot doing it simply due to the cost. Perhaps we are overlooking indirect benefits that Riot would experience about 12 months after introducing a server, but I also can't be bothered writing that up for this thread.

pieceofpecanpie

02-04-2013

Then why even bother posting if you can't be bothered explaining yourself?

Why can't Riot be bothered explaining themselves either? What they're planning, issues they're having, whether it's even likely etc. etc.