Anyone else not want to do ranked anymore?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Keith Bearjumper

02-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litose View Post
ya..system has infinite checks to make sure that you deserve a promotion...and none for a demotion
When I first read how the new system worked I was very fearful that players would be constantly fighting to earn ranks they had already earned and it seems to be the case. If it takes as few losses as two to get demoted than a quarter of all players that make it to a new level are going to get sent right back down and have to do it again.

Riot took the old system and grafted a massive and frustrating grind on top of it.

Yegg

Game Designer

Follow Yegg on Twitter

02-03-2013
12 of 12 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmack View Post
Please respond to this.

You guys keep saying that the reason the lower gains were added at 90+ is to make sure you didn't just get lucky, but in reality what it does is force you to rely on getting a lucky win streak in order to advance.

I know from how my games generally go that I do not belong in the division I'm in. Unfortunately, because of how the system is set up, whenever I approach the promotional series I get stiffed by the nerfed LP gains. No matter how well I did in the games leading up to it, that 1 loss due to bad luck with teams completely undoes 3 wins.
Behind the scenes it's working as intended, in that as soon as the system considers you ready for the Promotion Series, the LP clamping will ease up and your losses won't erase multiple wins any more. So you just need to keep winning a bit more than you're losing until you pass those checks.

That said, even though everything is working behind the scenes, it doesn't feel good right now, and there's not a lot of feedback on what's going on, so we definitely need to improve on that. I have some ideas that I'm fleshing out.

Captain Krayt

02-03-2013

Bump.

Chompey

02-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appendixless View Post
And I dont think it is fair to call it "demoralizing" when there is a clearly defined worst player tier, aka lowest tier of bronze. How is that not demoralizing for the players in there?
I don't think that makes any difference compared to the previous Elo system. If you were in the triple digits, it would still be demoralizing, especially the people who were in 500 Elo or below.

Fisherman Fizz

02-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yegg View Post
We've talked about this, but the problem with it is that it'd be very demoralizing to be playing a series where the best possible outcome is the status quo and the worst outcome is a demotion. Would you be motivated to log in and play ranked during that? I think a lot of people just wouldn't bother.

The flipside of course is that it makes it feel like the demotion was a lot more fair when it does happen.

How do people feel about this?
An alternative could also be removing the series to get promoted up a division (but keeping the one for tiers).

Bedwilly Sanchez

02-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalze View Post
Not happened with me and a friend, we both are Silver 1, we are in different leagues .
It is possible you have different friends and that they were placed in a division with the other ones...are you in a division with ANYONE on your friends list?

Send Me Lewds

02-03-2013

Won my first two games, I've lost every single one after that due to bad players/trolls/ragers. Was never this bad when the old system was in place.

Pigroastinya

02-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxuka View Post
I give up on ranked, trying to get up but I just got stuck with a first pick Leblanc -_- Had to queue dodge. Next time I get stuck with a troll I get demoted, yay. There's nothing to protect us anymore from trolls and you lose LP for it now.
Nothing wrong with LeBlanc :/. You trolled yourself.

MarijuanaMonster

02-03-2013

Yegg people are more concerned with "The system needs to make sure you can keep playing at that level" during a promotion series. The system feels harsh because many do indeed try their best but encounter trolls or people who don't take it as seriously.

When someone is in a promotion series that doesn't mean the other team mates are. It could happen where one player really is trying their best, but a team mate could grief and just want the game to end. They have no idea that the person is trying to get promoted.

Suggestion for this issue: Trolls/Griefers/Leavers are impossible to handle the way we want too. But maybe let people gain a bonus of some sort, or more grace time if they win a match during someones promotion series.

That might not be fair or right, but it feels very unfair to the people who are trying to get promoted where the other team mates aren't on the same mindset.

example: someone could flash for a kill and die and the opponent gets away. They then spend the rest of the game not trying when another team mate wants to keep pushing through for their promotion.

I am fine with the system but recently I dropped a division. It happened when someone wanted to riven jungle and fed. They then threatened to report everyone else on their team and no longer wanted to communicate or work together. I would of dodged this match at the start, it is very clear when someone isn't serious in ranked play. But I just want to que and play and not suffer consequences from trying to avoid toxic players.

djdomestic

02-03-2013

My duo friend went from 95-96 points from a game, why is this allowed? We probably won 10/12 games last night. We just won our first game for the day, he got 2 points... now at 98.

EDIT: We are both in silver 1 division, and we're fighting vs some people in gold already... why only 1-2 points per win?