Model Size inconsistencies are ridiculous

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

0QPe8VDDB3

02-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by exelsis xax View Post
mordekaiser is 8 feet tall in his lore
jarvan is taller than mordekaiser
i don't even...
The metal suit must have compressed him.

Shentok

02-02-2013

Twisted Fate looks like he slides across the ground instead of walking with his massive size.

Gryphios

02-02-2013

It's good to see a red response to this, but I think the fact that every new champion and remake has been consistently on a different scale than the older champions is a bit of a problem. For one thing, if someone like Twisted Fate is already gigantic, what will happen when you remake someone like Cho'Gath? If you think you had people complaining about zoom issues before...

cocacolalips

02-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceStallion View Post
On the surface it seems like it might be simple, but it actually has potential impact on lots of other things. One has to do with animation, as you scale up or down a character that will change the distance each given step will cover across the ground. The actual speed the champion moves does not change though. When these two things are really out of sync you get a foot sliding effect. Basically it will seem like the character is on ice skates. Trust me, animators hate that
You might want to check again then, because the new annies walk is rather ridiculous in that sense.

Snakerot

02-02-2013

What I want to have addressed as well is the discrepancies from skin to skin on the same champion. Why are some so tiny in comparison to the base model? Makes me not want to purchase them.

Arance

02-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceStallion View Post
On the surface it seems like it might be simple, but it actually has potential impact on lots of other things. One has to do with animation, as you scale up or down a character that will change the distance each given step will cover across the ground. The actual speed the champion moves does not change though. When these two things are really out of sync you get a foot sliding effect. Basically it will seem like the character is on ice skates. Trust me, animators hate that
Must start petition for an ice skate wearing champ and watch animator's heads explode...

Sageoffire

02-02-2013

If you want a good laugh, pay attention to Sona.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TINY

DemiluniS

02-02-2013

leblanc has a really, like really small model, I hope she's also getting a VU because comparably to the new champs she doesn't really fit the new standard

SpaceStallion

Lead Character Artist

02-02-2013
3 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
For one thing, if someone like Twisted Fate is already gigantic, what will happen when you remake someone like Cho'Gath?
Scale inconsistencies only look truly odd or broken when you're dealing within a given group or species, especially if that group exists in the real world.

For example if we decide to make a heroic human male character we have to take into account that everyone knows what real world humans look like. You go in with some set of guidelines. You can bend and push those guidelines pretty far, but there is a limit within any art style. All of our characters are pretty stylized but if we make other humans then they ought to at least relate somewhat to one another.

Now with a fantasy species that doesn't exist in the real world like Cho'Gath there isn't a reason to change his scale. Exactly how big is a Cho'Gath??.. depends on how fed he is, that's about it

Elysion Spectre

02-02-2013

isn't it bad for big model characters, because their hitboxes are way bigger, so they are easier to target with skillshots. I could say this is a huge con with lulu's ult