Model Size inconsistencies are ridiculous

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ryceman

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-03-2013

I was just playing a game as Master Yi with a Sley Belle Katarina and realized how huge she is. Like ridiculously huge towering over me. Comparing some more models I noticed this is a trend. Most of the newer models are just humongous towering over older champions and skins even. Can we bring models to scale with each other? I understand not every champion should be the same size. Hecarim and Mordekaiser and 2 examples of champions who should be huge but there is no reason for Katarina and Soraka to be towering over everyone.

Shockodile

01-04-2013

Yeah Brand is like, mega huge in comparison to like, everyone. Dude needs to be brought down a little, I think.

Hakobo

02-01-2013

Bump this stuff.

Teary

02-02-2013

I agree. When the Soraka remake came out, my first thought was "why is she so tall now?" She does tower over like EVERYONE, and I don't really understand why.

SpaceStallion

Lead Character Artist

02-02-2013
1 of 7 Riot Posts

Hey guys, first off thank you for the feedback. The scale of champions and how they compare to one another if always an ongoing discussion.

Many of the very old champions had lots of strange scale inconsistencies that we are fixing at the same time as making new champions.

As we continue to focus on reworking and improving some of the older champions' artwork we take that time to make sure their scale is consistent with the latest new champions we are creating. What we've noticed is players pay more attention to a scale change when it's also accompanied with the model rework. For example, characters like Mordekaiser and Malphite had their scale fixed months ago but since they still had the original models, not as many people actually noticed.

As far as the characters mentioned, the reason Brand is so tall is related to his lore. The body that Brand possesses was once a man from Lokfar, the same area as Viking inspired characters like Olaf are from.

For Soraka, with her rework she did get taller to match newer champions, but some of her perceived height change came from how she stands now. You'll notice she is now much more upright and graceful in her posture, where as the older Soraka was hunched over and had a lot of bend in her legs. A character's pose can do a lot to influence how tall we see them when viewed from a top-down camera like we have in LoL.

Master Yi is one of our older characters and might possibly be a bit small. I don't see him as being a very tall champion, but mid to average height. No guarantee we will change him, but I will definitely take a look.

Thank you again for the feedback!

Zerglinator

02-02-2013

Wait, there's a Red named SPAAAAAAAAAACE STALLIOOOOOOOOOOOON?

Canfrith

02-02-2013

Nautilus.....lol that huge beast XD

Crunchdoggie

02-02-2013

how long does it change the size of a model? Seems like you only have to change a few numbers around, meaning the entire issue could be solved with a day of attention

SpaceStallion

Lead Character Artist

02-02-2013
2 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
how long does it change the size of a model? Seems like you only have to change a few numbers around, meaning the entire issue could be solved with a day of attention
On the surface it seems like it might be simple, but it actually has potential impact on lots of other things. One has to do with animation, as you scale up or down a character that will change the distance each given step will cover across the ground. The actual speed the champion moves does not change though. When these two things are really out of sync you get a foot sliding effect. Basically it will seem like the character is on ice skates. Trust me, animators hate that

One of the other reasons has to do with game play. If the scale of the character art does not match his hitbox (invisible box that registers a hit or miss when you click) you get lots of problems where it looks like a shot or a grab landed, but it does nothing. If you then compensate by scaling up or down the hitbox to match the art you can make a character easier or harder to hit and that can cause balance changes. Not a thing to be taken lightly.

These are some of the reasons the whole issue of correct scale can be a bit more complicated than just a number change.

exelsis xax

02-02-2013

mordekaiser is 8 feet tall in his lore
jarvan is taller than mordekaiser
i don't even...