Knockback & Knockup changes this patch

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lunaria

02-02-2013

does this have anything to do with wukong and alistars knockups sometimes throwing people like 9 miles high?

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

02-02-2013
7 of 21 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Explosion View Post
Tenacity affecting knockups may be a bit strange thematically-- do you resolutely resist being in the air?

Does your will increase gravity by 30%?

If you resisted being hit has hard, why did you take the same amount of damage?

Naturally there's the "magic tenacity" explanation, but still-- there may be a better way to balance knockups.
I'll go with "my boots magically make me lighter on my feet, which means I can pull my feet out of glue faster and I land more quickly because I'm more dexterous". This was a pretty heavily debated point, but I'm confident that we won't put something in the game that feels wrong to us.

IS1dcaa58ecc419efdf187e

02-02-2013

Considering it was previously a knock-back over 1 second, why not put the new 'stun' for 1 second?

That way it should be exactly like it was previously.

Question: How will cleanse interact with the new 'stun'? How did it interact with the old headbutt into wall?

lordfrezon

02-02-2013

Aw, I just played a Lulu game and thought that was a new feature.

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

02-02-2013
8 of 21 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagee Prime View Post
please tell me knock up no longer turns your champion to the opposite direction they were facing. Its really dumb being turn around especially when you have directional based abilities like Nidalee's pounce or Riven's Broken Wings.
Is this new to this patch or did it happen before?

More specifically, did it happen *sometimes* before and it always happens now?

Super Explosion

02-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
I'll go with "my boots magically make me lighter on my feet, which means I can pull my feet out of glue faster and I land more quickly because I'm more dexterous". This was a pretty heavily debated point, but I'm confident that we won't put something in the game that feels wrong to us.
Well, the feet out of glue thing isn't that incongruous-- those Treads are pretty slippery.

However a cat's dexterity does not make it land faster if fired from a cannon.

To be honest, it seems like knockups should just be balanced as if they were a better version of a stun (largely because they are): whenever you put a knockup in the game, make sure it is short enough that the player doesn't really need to worry about Tenacitying it.

The Nautilus trick works, I believe-- very short knockup into longer stun.

Edit: Could even potentially have a different graphic for displaying a stun that resulted from being knocked up (and falling heavily perhaps ), or the like.

GhostFrog314

02-02-2013

Quote:
Knockups are currently unchanged by tenacity, but I did add support for us to enable Tenacity to work on them in the future.
Quote:
Looking at this, Nami's Q bubble is setup differently - it is a 3 second knockup that gets "popped" after 1 second and drops you to the ground. Should be the same duration.
Just out of curiosity, are these two things related? I definitely remember hearing (and it says on the wiki) that Nami's q is a stun and not a knockup and can be reduced by tenacity. If her q is actually coded as a knockup, is having it treated as a stun related to the ability to make tenacity work on knockups?

Xelnath

Systems Designer

02-02-2013
9 of 21 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFrog314 View Post
Just out of curiosity, are these two things related? I definitely remember hearing (and it says on the wiki) that Nami's q is a stun and not a knockup and can be reduced by tenacity. If her q is actually coded as a knockup, is having it treated as a stun related to the ability to make tenacity work on knockups?
Nami's Q is a 3 second knockup, with a ~1 second stun on top. This stun (like all stuns in the game) is reduced by Tenacity. When the stun fades, Nami's Q snaps the target to the ground.

Thornmaelstrom

02-02-2013

Quote:
Is this new to this patch or did it happen before?

More specifically, did it happen *sometimes* before and it always happens now?
This has always been part of LoL for as long as I can remember, and it was really annoying when playing with/against facing-relevant champs like Rumble/Shaco/Cassiopeia/Corki.
When I first started playing Rumble in about mid S2, I remember at least 1 occasion when someone got away by having an ally knock me up and aim my flamethrower to in the top-right direction.
Also, when I was playing blue-side, at mid lane their Alistar W+Q combo'd me, making me face towards their Cass who then ulted as I was drifting towards the ground. Also happened ~mid S2ish. Since then I haven't really payed attention to knockups nor had anything that ridiculous happen, but I'd assume its still there if no one thought to change it.
EDIT: Actually, it happened so long ago I can't say with confidence it was the top-right direction, and I remember I was near the blue outer mid turret but I don't explicitly being blue. Still merits testing anyway, anecdotal evidence like 500 games and a year ago isn't worth much.

Aughra

02-02-2013

Thanks Xelnath. You're doing a good job man!