@Riot, the new ranking system is quite frustrating.

First Riot Post
12345 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Honggg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-02-2013

I'm trying. I really am. I thought the changes were going to be awesome and would finally do away with the bland ELO system that we had before. I've played seven ranked games today, and honestly, the new ranking system is extremely frustrating.

I started out today playing duo queue with my friend; we are in the same division, Silver I, and had around the same ELO before the system changes (my current ELO was around 1445 and his was around 1480). We managed to win four straight games, but for some odd reason, he managed to garner 85 points while I was stuck with a measly 57. I thought, perhaps, the fault belonged to the duo queue, that maybe my MMR was too low or high. I played three solo queue games. I lost the first two, losing around 20 ELO each, and won the third one, gaining only around 16.

I went 5-2 today and somehow only managed to get around 30LP, barely close enough for a promotion. Had this been in the previous ranking system, I'd be up at least 20-30 ELO right now, and very close to achieving gold. I don't see how making players lose 20 LP but gain only 12-16 works. It's essentially forcing the player to win at least two games before losing one. I know Yegg has claimed there has been problems with Silver Division I; however, even if i were a victim of the bug, or whatever it's called, I still can't help but feel frustrated.

My ELO was around 1440 before it was removed. All I really needed was 5-6 straight wins and I'd be at 1500 around. With the inception of the new ranking system, winning 5-6, at the current pace I'm at, nets me around 60-70LP. It's pretty close to being promoted but still another 2-3 games away. Even if I were to win my next three games, I'd have to win another 3, in the "playoff" series, to finally advance to gold. I'm basically have to win around 5 more games to get gold.

I don't understand why we have to lose LP for dodging. Excessive dodging is annoying but I do think players should be allowed one dodge without penalty. Sometimes, I just might not feel comfortable with my team, whether it be someone flaming during champion selection or someone instant-locking top lane when we already have one. The second dodged game should come with a slight penalty in LP, not the first.

The ranking system is new. I'm still hopeful that Riot will manage to make this work, but the beginning of the new ranking era has been discouraging to say the least. I do hope my feedback will be helpful in improving the system and I look forward to the improvements.

Honggg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-02-2013

bump

Zileas

VP of Game Design

02-02-2013
1 of 5 Riot Posts

He gained more LP because he is a 'stronger' silver 1 than you are. So, he's someone that should move to gold before you.

As you win more games in a division, you will get more and more LP for wins, and lose less and less LP for losses. People are confused right now because they are treating it like Elo, and have a bunch of expectations from Elo and how wins and losses work. LP and Elo are totally different.

So -- think of LP as just the earn-in to the placement matches. Your friend started off 40 elo higher, so he SHOULD be considered more quickly for a placement match.

Also, keep in mind that the silver to gold leap is supposed to be difficult because it permanently puts you in a higher, more exclusive tier.

- Zileas

I destroy noobs

02-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
He gained more LP because he is a 'stronger' silver 1 than you are. So, he's someone that should move to gold before you.

As you win more games in a division, you will get more and more LP for wins, and lose less and less LP for losses. People are confused right now because they are treating it like Elo, and have a bunch of expectations from Elo and how wins and losses work. LP and Elo are totally different.

So -- think of LP as just the earn-in to the placement matches. Your friend started off 40 elo higher, so he SHOULD be considered more quickly for a placement match.

- Zileas
How do you explain the fact that some people are skipping divisions though? Like I personally went straight from Plat 3 to Plat 1.

netkitten

02-02-2013

the new system needs a lot more effort to climb elo ladder

Zileas

VP of Game Design

02-02-2013
2 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustofoblivion View Post
How do you explain the fact that some people are skipping divisions though? Like I personally went straight from Plat 3 to Plat 1.
Of that, I'm not sure. Yegg would have to speak to that. I think I know, but would rather he spoke to that.

XElement

02-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post

Also, keep in mind that the silver to gold leap is supposed to be difficult because it permanently puts you in a higher, more exclusive tier.

- Zileas
Hi Zileas ~
So are you going to be busy trolling or strictly serious tonight?

Edit: Omg, I'm surrounded by from both sides by Reds. I'm doomed!

RoboLions

User Experience Designer

02-02-2013
3 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustofoblivion View Post
This happens when you outpace your current division, the system will calculate that you should be able to skip a division and does so. This won't, however, let you skip a division straight into another tier. e.g. - From Silver Division III to Gold.

tarlune

02-02-2013

my sentiments exactly. Frustrated.

Rak Wraithraisér

02-02-2013

Riot u must explain this to me! im in Silver Div 1(ALREADY 400 matches- not a placement anymore)(HIGHEST elo 1554 and CURRENT elo was 1430) placed in silver Div 1 fair enough, won 4 consecutive matches, get to 49 LP, then proceed to lost 1 matches and lost 22 LP,,,

so what im asking is DO YOU expect me to have a win ratio of 3-1 just to barely going up the ladder?? AND even worse my opponent was all gold while all my allies was in DIV 1, so BY RIOT's LOGIC i should lose LESS LP, not lose MORE LP because i versus higher division?????? dont give me all that hidden elo ****, they clearly have higher elo and all my teammates have lower elo, even before fighting a much higher elo opponent will only lose me 14 elos.

So yeah whats up Riot??! i need a red answer. Let me see how you will explain this one CLEARLY? if you cant give a satisfactory answer then i need my lp back thank you.

12345 ... 7