Ice Frog and Valve...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SlyGoat

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclephillip View Post
he solo balances the entire game
Hahaha. Ha. Good one.

Top Lane Sensei

10-12-2010

crazy I'm looking forward to playing a new game.

youthere

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyGoat View Post
Somewhat disagree with your first point. IceFrog is honestly a better designer than anyone working at Riot; he churns out **** like Invoker, Clockwerk, PotM, Batrider, etc. and takes community suggestions for awesome stuff like Puck. But I do agree that the overall metagame of DotA has stagnated since icefrog took over, which is why I quit - but then, the same thing is starting to happen with LoL.
Well, it's far easier to take community feedback as a one person modder than as a full fledged game developer.

I have to disagree about IceFrog being a better designer than anyone at Riot, maybe that's just because I preferred DoTA under Guinsoo. I do wish Guinsoo had more power over LoL to be honest.

Guinsoo

Game Designer

10-12-2010
1 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Somewhat disagree with your first point. IceFrog is honestly a better designer than anyone working at Riot; he churns out **** like Invoker, Clockwerk, PotM, Batrider, etc. and takes community suggestions for awesome stuff like Puck. But I do agree that the overall metagame of DotA has stagnated since icefrog took over, which is why I quit - but then, the same thing is starting to happen with LoL.

Totally agree on the second point. IceFrog does a lot of **** that makes him hard to like as a person. But I respect his work on DotA, and LoL would probably not have the playerbase it does if not for IceFrog's continued development which seriously raised DotA's popularity (and by association set LoL up for the same popularity - huge amount of LoL players are former DotA players or friends of former DotA players)
To say that he's better because he can make more convoluting designs I find insulting, SlyGoat. You are no longer my forum hero. Good day to you, sir.

P.S. - I can make convoluted heroes too - I made Invoker - but I choose not to because I realize now it is bad design. I wouldn't put Invoker or Clockwerk into LoL beacause I think they are poorly designed.

youthere

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclephillip View Post
HL2 was considered one of the best games of the year (possibly even all time). What the hell did you find disappointing about it?
The terrible, terrible physics puzzles. And the god awful vehicles that you spend half the **** game in.

Spellsy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-12-2010

pretty sure icefrog was the best thing to happen to dota, not that guinsoo and eul didnt handle it well, but i feel icefrog has improved the game significantly. (now, not saying icefrog > guinsoo/euls though, because obviously it has been significant time since then, in which im sure guinsoo and euls have improved). i dont see how any dota fan can dislike what icefrog has done.

but, to the issue, i dont see how you can say "seriously doubt it will be better than LoL".. i seriously doubt it will be worse than LoL.. not because LoL isnt a very well made game, but instead because i feel that game has alot of potential, while this game has some stuff holding it back.

even though i think Dota2 will be > LoL, doesn't quite mean that people will like dota2 better though, because if people compare hon and lol, they can be seen as roughly the same quality of game, yet LoL still attracts tons of people because of the DIFFERENCES in the two, something i think there will be between dota2 and LoL .. so i think they will each have their niches, no matter the "objective quality".

and lol@youthere, why dont you just say "i dont like him cause i dont hold my own opinion and instead follow the opinions of others [pendragon]"

Unclephillip

10-12-2010

Quote:
Hahaha. Ha. Good one.
Nice trolling Sly but you're not going to get me.

Unclephillip

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthere View Post
The terrible, terrible physics puzzles. And the god awful vehicles that you spend half the **** game in.
Half Life 2 was innovative for having one of the best physics engines out there. Groundbreaking graphics and excellent shooter gameplay. I agree vehicles sucked but the physics puzzles were easy if you could handle the gravity gun.

huhwhat

10-12-2010

If Valve comes out with a DotA clone, I'll play both it and LoL By the time they do come out with it though, probably be waay more invested into LoL (been buying champs), so probably play this more, unless, by some unlikely miracle, it's ridiculously great, and puts LoL to shame....which I seriously doubt would happen--LoL is a fantastic game, favorite thing to come out in years.

Unclephillip

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spellsy View Post
pretty sure icefrog was the best thing to happen to dota, not that guinsoo and eul didnt handle it well, but i feel icefrog has improved the game significantly. (now, not saying icefrog > guinsoo/euls though, because obviously it has been significant time since then, in which im sure guinsoo and euls have improved). i dont see how any dota fan can dislike what icefrog has done.

but, to the issue, i dont see how you can say "seriously doubt it will be better than LoL".. i seriously doubt it will be worse than LoL.. not because LoL isnt a very well made game, but instead because i feel that game has alot of potential, while this game has some stuff holding it back.

even though i think Dota2 will be > LoL, doesn't quite mean that people will like dota2 better though, because if people compare hon and lol, they can be seen as roughly the same quality of game, yet LoL still attracts tons of people because of the DIFFERENCES in the two, something i think there will be between dota2 and LoL .. so i think they will each have their niches, no matter the "objective quality".

and lol@youthere, why dont you just say "i dont like him cause i dont hold my own opinion and instead follow the opinions of others [pendragon]"
LOL is behind HON in terms of new maps, spectator mode, replays, and all that jazz. Considering the original DOTA already had that I can only assume that DOTA 2 will be released with spectator and replays already in.