@Riot, I want an explanation - New Ranked System is flawed.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LOLOL BYE

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rafikerus View Post
The system wouldn't do that. because then you'd have a team of all 1400's vs a team of all 1700's. The system wouldn't let that game go on. You'd either have a team of 1700 elo players on one side and you with 4 1700 elo players beside you or you would play against other 1400's.
You are matched based on your elo (Still there, just hidden) - Because of my placement games, my elo is around 1650 (Proven due to last placement comparison)

I am now in Silver I - Which is filled with 1400s. I will still vs people based on my skill level, and have a team based on my skill level (1700s, Gold) but I only progress through Silver.

TehomCD

02-01-2013

My understanding is that the League Points for losses/wins basically will try to match your hidden Elo rating to what division you're supposed to be in. If you're in a division way below your Elo, you'll get massively more LP for wins than losses, making you climbing into the correct division virtually inevitable, while the reverse is true for being in a division far above you.

RoboLions

User Experience Designer

02-01-2013
1 of 7 Riot Posts

Drawing comparisons between your teammate and opponent's divisions and the hidden Elo system is not a good path to go down because there are no assurances that their current Elo is the one they were placed with, meaning you may be matched with someone who's Elo is lower than you think.

But to specifically address your concern, if your hidden Elo is higher than expected for your division, you will earn more LP for wins and lose less LP for losses. This means you will much more quickly reach your promotion and get into the higher division/tier.

We understand that some people are frustrated that they aren't in the tier they expected, but there are no longer Elo cutoffs for certain Tiers, and you cannot lose your tier once you get it. So reaching the next tier means a lot more than it ever did. Best of luck getting there again, I'm confident you can.

Delay

Master Recruiter

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot RoboLions View Post
Drawing comparisons between your teammate and opponent's divisions and the hidden Elo system is not a good path to go down because there are no assurances that their current Elo is the one they were placed with, meaning you may be matched with someone who's Elo is lower than you think.

But to specifically address your concern, if your hidden Elo is higher than expected for your division, you will earn more LP for wins and lose less LP for losses. This means you will much more quickly reach your promotion and get into the higher division/tier.

We understand that some people are frustrated that they aren't in the tier they expected, but there are no longer Elo cutoffs for certain Tiers, and you cannot lose your tier once you get it. So reaching the next tier means a lot more than it ever did. Best of luck getting there again, I'm confident you can.
If there are no Elo cutoffs then people misplaced into their (lucky wins, etc) tier will be stuck there making it worse for the people who belong/are on the way of moving up.

The system is really confusing.

Steadfast

02-01-2013

So if like myself in Division 1 of Bronze (and should of been bottom of Silver according to what you guys falsely said earlier) i cannot lose a tier so i could happily fall down to 700-800. Why wasnt bronze split into 2 tiers as there is a huge difference in skill below 1000. Add dodge penalty and apparently an LP system which makes you lose more points than you gain , it seems the solution to nasty ranked queue is get poeple to stop playing alltogether. I was one game from silver preseason but thanks to your beautiful new system I am 100 points (10 games ? + 5 placement matches away). props to the genius who came up with that.

Also At least make placement matches involve others in the placement matches so people are all equally invested in winning.

GnomeDigest

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-01-2013

Quote:
Best of luck getting there again, I'm confident you can.
It may take you ten times longer to reach that point under this new system but hey, whats a few extra hundred games right?

Lethminite

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfast View Post
Also At least make placement matches involve others in the placement matches so people are all equally invested in winning.
They said they plan to add that in the future.

Big Fluffy Bunny

02-01-2013

Yeah, I hear ya. Both my current AND high elos were gold, and somehow I got placed into silver tier 1. It makes no sense.

milllo

02-01-2013

Quote:
... and you cannot lose your tier once you get it.....
from the description of the leagues:
"If you fall below zero LP as a result of decay, you'll be placed into the next lowest division. If you're already in Division V of your league, you'll fall into a new league in the next tier down. This is currently the only way to get demoted to a lower tier."

Hellioning

02-01-2013

Quote:

I think there was a MAJOR miscommunication. The only thing we've been told is that our placement would be based upon current and highest Elo and under that plan comparing our placements in regards to our pre-season Elo makes perfect sense.