@RiotAmes - thanks for being awesome!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PrepareToRespawn

02-01-2013

Hey RiotAmes, honestly thanks for providing such an honest explanation. I doubt most people or other companies would personally attempt to rationalize with their community. You've accomplished your intention and I'm sure others along with me appreciate your response. We have a intense community and this topic really made me realize why we can't just simply have nice things.

I've never posted here dude but I'm just surprised at the logic being thrown around. Annie's rework itself was exciting - come on, how often do you see this level of interaction between game developers and their communities. Riot is growing so fast (financially) but in the midsts of all of this they are not forgetting about US. I understand the concerns about Limited skins and Legacy skins but we should not be so selfish. Its not the end of the world if others can enjoy a skin that was never established to be Limited skin. Think about the community and the growing number of players/fans of League. Heck I'm new and around for 5 months but I was so excited about the Holiday and Special skin sale earlier in the year. Its not like i wish Striker Ezreal or Nutcrako magically appear one day, lol! My point is that we forget so easily about the things that please us all as a community and worry so much about the ones that impact is individually!

RiotAmes you're bold for providing a explanation to us all. I don't see a fault or mistake here at all - what I see is a honest relationship between a company and their customers. You cared so much that you would try to reason with everyone on your time off! Dude that right their is dedication to the community and what can anyone else ask for. Riot should be grateful for your interaction. Again, the day will go on and people will something else to get intense over. Truth is, LoL is an addiction that is fueled by passion in our community.

Anyway, RiotAmes thanks and enjoy your night! ***very cool to learn that their was a hard copy of LoL game - curious on the boxing and art!

RiotAmes

QA Analyst

02-01-2013
1 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepareToRespawn View Post
Truth is, LoL is an addiction that is fueled by passion in our community.
Someone's going to quote me out of context on this one day, but..

You guys are my boss at the end of the day. It's why I like working at Riot. Our customers aren't some faceless mass. In many ways, our customers are also us- we play all the time and in some ways you're involved in what we make. We want cool stuff, too!

Riot is a company fueled by the community's passion. Thanks, community!

Quote:
Anyway, RiotAmes thanks and enjoy your night! ***very cool to learn that their was a hard copy of LoL game - curious on the boxing and art!
I like talking to all of you. Few companies would give me the opportunity to be open with their user base like this. That said, thank you for your thanks!

Burn the Witches

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAmes View Post
I like talking to all of you. Few companies would give me the opportunity to be open with their user base like this. That said, thank you for your thanks!
I've noticed that too, but why is that? In the starting days of Epic Games before their Unreal Engine really took off (still with Atari as their publisher) they were allowed the same freedom to post and interact with the community. Over time I've noticed a lot of companies aren't quite like this.

EA, SOE, for instance, and many other companies will only allow their PR staff to speak publicly.

Is it legal issues? Fear of backlash? etc?

Iron Solari

02-01-2013

Quote:

You guys are my boss at the end of the day. It's why I like working at Riot. Our customers aren't some faceless mass. In many ways, our customers are also us- we play all the time and in some ways you're involved in what we make. We want cool stuff, too!

Riot is a company fueled by the community's passion. Thanks, community!

My respect for you has grown tenfold.

Atheau

02-01-2013

Quote:
Boom. Quoted. Stripped all relevant context.

Bet you're regretting those words now.

Also, <3

RiotAmes

QA Analyst

02-01-2013
2 of 7 Riot Posts

Riot is player focused, and part of that is how we engage with players.

There is a lot of inherent risk in letting anyone in your company speak in a public setting. Upcoming content and feature leaks are a huge risk, we can upset or insult players, and so on. The chance to hurt the company's image is high.

What we get, though, are developers more closely tied to the people they develop for. We get a community who supports us, even if they don't agree with us. I see often that players buy RP just because we talk so much. That's great- I know that I'm more willing to spend on a company I trust.

Also, it's fun. Our bosses kinda like fun.

Shadowed Ruby

02-01-2013

I like fun. You and I are very similar, Ames.

However, I play a game that is over 10 years old, throughout the years they have seen drastic drops in their staff interacting with the community. Over and over they saw everything go bad in anything they said, and if they had fun, people would wonder why serious stuff was not being addressed.

I hope Riot does not experience this (They inevitably will and have, but I mean the reduction of interacting with the playerbase rather than the player base being whiney). It was such an awesome time having those who worked for us, played with us, and developed for us interact with us. I'd hate to lose it again.

RiotAmes

QA Analyst

02-01-2013
3 of 7 Riot Posts

If you're thinking of the same game I am, then I know what you mean. I remember how awesome it was for me to read up on what the devs were saying. I did it in place of playing sometimes. I've got the opportunity to do that for others, so when I can- when it matters- I try to do the same.

And occasionally mess with people who legitimately want to be messed with.

Noxian Mercenary

02-01-2013

Quote:

There is a lot of inherent risk in letting anyone in your company speak in a public setting. Upcoming content and feature leaks are a huge risk, we can upset or insult players, and so on.
Insulting players?

Where's Zileas when you need him? <3

RiotAmes

QA Analyst

02-01-2013
4 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxian Mercenary View Post
Insulting players?

Where's Zileas when you need him? <3
What am I, his keeper?

You find him.