Did Annie's visual rework surprise you?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Calypsx

01-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
We are NOT making her a stripper or ANYTHING CLOSE. I have made EXTRA SURE that visual rework efforts steered away from this trend. We are retaining classy and elegant. There might be a bit more skin but it's going to be damn tasteful.
Karma is the only reason I ever log on to this game anymore. Literally the only character I enjoy playing.

If you remove her fan weapons that'll be even worse. Steel fans are my favorite weapons in media, and irl i'm a student of fan kata. I feel a connection with the character and would hate to have that taken away...

This is honestly the breaking point, if she doesn't use her fans anymore, and if she's made into an entirely different character, I literally can not play this game anymore, as much as I hate to admit it.

Please Riot, don't screw this one up... There are people in this game who do only play this game for a certain character. Karma is my reason, just like how Fizz is my boyfriends.

Whist

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2013

She lost her charm in the visual rework.

She totally needed an update, but she doesn't have the same charm, she looks way older and it just doesn't feel like annie any more...rather, a weird fan-art.

Aurasai

01-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I believe so, but not before a lot of the others mentioned. He's older and needs art love, but it's not elephant-feet bad.
Any plans for a VU on Morgana. Her current splash art (that is one of the best in my opinion) and in-game model, look like 2 entirely different characters. Her release was centuries ago and her splash art reminds me she can look like a badass with a new VU in every… single… game…
Her splash art reflects her as a mage with immense power, while her in game model looks like a crippled old hag with paper straps for wings

NinjaKitten

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2013

iron stylus is an example of the many things wrong with riot, fights for woman dressing "modest" like some womens right fanatic, thats why we never get cool skins only robot skins now and days

starkey xxx

01-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaKitten View Post
iron stylus is an example of the many things wrong with riot, fights for woman dressing "modest" like some womens right fanatic, thats why we never get cool skins only robot skins now and days
No he's just an example of someone who thinks that if a woman is supposed to be something she should look like it, not someone wearing a sexy costume.

Aomines

01-30-2013

I don't know. Sometimes I think Veigar needs a little love.

Half of his skins look really nice, but the other half are meh with the model he has. But he's not as in need of a visual upgrade as other champions might be. Just my personal opinion.

Shinrasaa

01-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypsx View Post
Karma is the only reason I ever log on to this game anymore. Literally the only character I enjoy playing.

If you remove her fan weapons that'll be even worse. Steel fans are my favorite weapons in media, and irl i'm a student of fan kata. I feel a connection with the character and would hate to have that taken away...

This is honestly the breaking point, if she doesn't use her fans anymore, and if she's made into an entirely different character, I literally can not play this game anymore, as much as I hate to admit it.

Please Riot, don't screw this one up... There are people in this game who do only play this game for a certain character. Karma is my reason, just like how Fizz is my boyfriends.
They did say that they are trying to max her appeal to a broader audience, but at the same time, they said they will stay within the bounds of a champion. Of course that means there is a ceiling for appeal, that's why they have to look at what changes they have to make carefully. They already did research and I think one thing they looked at the most are what defines a champion for people and more importantly, what people like and find appealing about a champion and what they find forgettable/uninteresting. For a rework, they are probably aiming to change what people found bad about the champion.

For Karma, her fans are unique to her and probably a part of her that is more memorable. As such, I don't think you need to be scared that those will go.

They are probably looking to change her dress, her colors and make her more beautiful and refined overall as a champion (maybe her hairstyle will be changed around a little bit too).

Obviously, direction in champion creation has changed over the years. At the start, there was a lot of room for experimentation and a lot of fun champions were made who are still iconic(example Cho'gath, Kog'maw, Nunu...) but at the same time, some champions came out...wrong in the sense that they didn't appeal to a lot of people or just didn't make sense as a champion overall (gap between design and lore/skills), some examples here are Trundle, Sejuani and unfortunately Karma.

Now, I think Karma's biggest problem is that she is underpowered as a support, she would be played a lot more if she was viable, but at the same time, she doesn't have the kind of design that would draw you in regardless. If you look at champions like Amumu, Fiddle, Gragas, those are the champions that immediately come to mind when thinking of LoL.

With time, champion design has changed, they were trying to put in work into every champion to make them more cohesive and high-quality, but in the progress, some of the uniqueness that a lot of champions before had was forgotten. That's why a lot of people complained about only humans champions being released (Jayce, Draven, Darius...) or female design being too similiar (Dark Valkyrie Diana RIP, Syndra, Elise...) .

I think at the moment, they are trying to mix high quality and uniqueness together (see Champs like Kha'zix, Renegar, Vi) without blundering and making a very unique champion who is all over the place and not really well received.

Unfortunately for Karma though, she doesn't have the most unique design (although I personally like her refined air and elegance) and added with the fact her kit isn't really up to par with other support champions, it's created a bit of a black hole of unpopularity. Of course, she is still really fun in dominion and her kit works for mid or top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaKitten View Post
I hated Steel legion Lux so much and I'm not a fan of a lot of the robot skins (though Battlecast as a theme is pretty cool) but how can you not like the parrot? He is one of those who do talk here on the forums and communicate (a lot more than a lot of other companies do) and of course, not everyone can always like everything...Apart from that, he made some really great champions like Leona and Diana, you've gotta love him just for that !

Jibamao

Recruiter

01-30-2013

Quote:
Mostly because Karma is one of the most unappealing champions, creatively, to our fans - a lot of our research dudes have looked at this, plus it makes sense. Gal in a monochrome dress is a weak theme that isn't really doing anything.
Don't forget Karma's darker skin color. LoL players are afraid of black people.

JamDubs

01-30-2013

Just popping in to say that Annie's little smile she has while she's laughing after her jokes is adorable and it makes me squeal like a 5 year old child every time I see it.
I really like Annie's visual update.

Beer von Bro

01-30-2013

Quote:
Agreed here, but I think this is less just art and more "making a Ninja a tank is visually dissident" to me. It's a common counter-example we talk about when trying to make a character cohesive, but I think Shen is what Shen is at this point.
I think Shen is fine at the moment, but I hope he is on some kind of list and is going to get a rework at one point(like maybe in two years time, I think that's realistic).
He looks ok currently, but honestly that's just because he is way too bland for players to notice while they are paying attention to the actual game. His physique is average, his color scheme consist of one greyish-blueish-purpleish color, and he lacks any huge effects on his skills. Currently the only thing that's interesting about his model, is the pose, constantly being ready to strike with his swords.

Don't get me wrong, I like it this way, but if you look at him closely, he really does need some kind of noticable detail. Especially with his skins to differentiate them a little, nothing huge, maybe some icicles hanging on Frozen skin, blood moon shen having more brutal blood effects, and he'd welcome a purple ashe arrow treatment too just like T5 Taric and some other champs.
As for him being a tank..his muscles could be buffed up a little bit(MK style), especially how they look under his shoulder pads(I understand it was easier to do it this way back then..but...just look at poor surgeon shen..). Other than that, I think it's fine, especially with his theme and lore. I was surprised at first that he is a tank, but in a really positive way. I don't really dig ninjas but when I realized Shen is actually a tank and checked him out, I instantly thought "how cool is that?". I've grown fond of his kit, and I think he's one of the coolest tanks thematically.

Do you agree Morello? Or are you seeing this differently?