Summoner Rift - Custom Map Skins

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yurixy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachis View Post
I dig the beach texture. I think replacing the tree textures would be a big win. Perhaps this tutorial could be helpful, you could repaint the alpha on the trees to make them feel more tropical.
Oh yeah, you got a point. I can artificially change the model (cutting parts of it) by manipulating the alpha on the texture.

I remember I did this some times, at Sexy Ahri skin for example (one of my custom skins) where I removed an object from it.

You gave me a great idea to use on the trees. I just need see if I can actually do this without deforming too much the trees.

Thanks for your comment and the idea!

CommandShockwave

01-29-2013

Man, I'd love a SR skin with a "cosmic" kinda theme. Like the Algalon boss room in WoW. Obviously with less transparency, but with the whole "stars everywhere" kinda thing.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...l/algalon7.jpg

MidbossK

01-29-2013

Digging the beach theme. The river looks esp cool. Just a small thing, but the turrets wooden base would flow a bit better if it had a bit of kicked sand on them. Right now it looks a bit "unnatural"(?). Compared to how say, the stairs or blue/red buff ground textures are much more seamless. Also, I cant tell from the album photos, but the river could use some water/puddles/whatever for a bit of contrast.

A youtube video showing it off would be nice too.

Meteonyker

01-29-2013

Nice, Player based summoner's rift skin, while Riot still has "no-time" nor "ressources" to do a random map skinned SR for each game(like old Winter map). Multi-millions invested Company vs Small crew of passionnate fans. I don't know what to say.

SkyKesper

01-29-2013

Oh my god give this man a job riot wtf

Drachis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Associate Technical Artist

01-29-2013
4 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurixy View Post
Oh yeah, you got a point. I can artificially change the model (cutting parts of it) by manipulating the alpha on the texture.

I remember I did this some times, at Sexy Ahri skin for example (one of my custom skins) where I removed an object from it.

You gave me a great idea to use on the trees. I just need see if I can actually do this without deforming too much the trees.

Thanks for your comment and the idea!
If you have any questions about any specific portion of potential map mods hit me up I'm happy to help out. Making mods for a game you love is a great way to get on the path to becoming a professional game developer (it's where I stated out).

xethik

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachis View Post
If you have any questions about any specific portion of potential map mods hit me up I'm happy to help out. Making mods for a game you love is a great way to get on the path to becoming a professional game developer (it's where I stated out).
For the sake of it, I'd like to point out that this is true for all spectrums of game development, not just art.

Programming, writing, development, art, music, etc. Incorporate what you love into games you love and you'll be at a good starting place for the profession.

YoshiStampedeBlu

01-29-2013

So some random person from the community was able to do what a WHOLE RIOT TEAM wasn't? The fu...

Wargasmic

01-29-2013

I really like Shadow Dragon Varus. It looks awesome!

xethik

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshiStampedeBlu View Post
So some random person from the community was able to do what a WHOLE RIOT TEAM wasn't? The fu...
Well... This is all texture work, no new 3d models. There would definitely be a lot of 3D model changes and whatnot for any holiday SR theme from Riot these days.
Secondly, things move naturally a bit slower in a business. There is a lot more that needs to be checked and done, more testing that occurs, and more feedback before publishing.

It's more than acceptable that Riot did not have the time to pull out a winter SR skin, if you ask me. Especially since they were working on Twisted Treeline at the time, too.