@Riot: Where are all the programmers? :,(

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zydion

Associate Software Engineer

01-29-2013
22 of 73 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckley183 View Post
How did you learn to teach yourself any new languages? I've tried reading and watching tutorials but idk nothing sticks. I've wanted to program for gaming companies all my life but my school doesn't offer anything related to programming besides math and im taking best I can.
Once you've mastered one language, learning other ones comes fairly naturally, provided that you understand the fundamentals behind languages and computer science.

If you just want to pick up programming though, you can check out codecademy.com. They teach you various languages step by step and provide interactive feedback right in your browser, which saves you the trouble of having to set any coding environment up and still able to learn the basics.

RiotSchmick

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Software Engineer

Follow RiotSchmick on Twitter

01-29-2013
23 of 73 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydion View Post
Once you've mastered one language, learning other ones comes fairly naturally, provided that you understand the fundamentals behind languages and computer science.

If you just want to pick up programming though, you can check out codecademy.com. They teach you various languages step by step and provide interactive feedback right in your browser, which saves you the trouble of having to set any coding environment up and still able to learn the basics.
That's pretty cool. I didn't know about this site. Nice one.

Golux

Adjudicator

01-29-2013

@RiotSchmick (or whoever wants to answer, maybe Brian can field it too): The programmers who have answered all have been saying their favorite language is C++ or Java or whatever they use, which is great.

But doesn't Riot have the crazy guy whose favorite language is Lisp or Erlang or MIXAL, and says weird things that makes the other programmers roll their eyes but is still a really awesome programmer? Because if Riot doesn't have that guy, I am a little disappointed, I gotta say.

FattyDrake

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotSchmick View Post
Unfortunately we are limited by the same friends list max as everyone else, so we can't add when our lists are maxed out. : \
Well, since you are one of the programmers.. aside from scheduling, what's preventing you from increasing that limit? Is it a client-side limitation, or is it a matter of trying to keep backend overhead down?

WhattayaBrian

Engineer

01-29-2013
24 of 73 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaugh View Post
i also have a few question (my programming knowledge is limited to 1st yr undergrad):

1. since lol is such a big game (im guessing ~10k+ lines of code?) im sure u guys have to read/edit other programmers code. do u guys ever get pissed off due to poor documentation or bad style of the code?

2. being the master programmers u are, do u still get compile or exception errors when u code?
1. We're much, much bigger than 10k lines of code. :P I did a fairly janky rough estimate, and--ignoring preprocesser directives, comments, and brace-only lines, we've got about 425,000 lines of code.

Bad style is in the eye of the beholder, and it's important to separate what is beautiful to you from what is reasonable to write. If you write:

void f() { // brace not on its own line
// ...code...
}

Then I cringe, but it's not like I can't understand it.

2. Yes. YES. There's no such thing as a programmer who doesn't get compile errors.

I'll respond to other things when I get home--just wanted to grab the line numbers while I could. :P

Zydion

Associate Software Engineer

01-29-2013
25 of 73 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golux View Post
@RiotSchmick (or whoever wants to answer, maybe Brian can field it too): The programmers who have answered all have been saying their favorite language is C++ or Java or whatever they use, which is great.

But doesn't Riot have the crazy guy whose favorite language is Lisp or Erlang or MIXAL, and says weird things that makes the other programmers roll their eyes but is still a really awesome programmer? Because if Riot doesn't have that guy, I am a little disappointed, I gotta say.
We have people here who only program in Erlang. I would assume that their favorite language is Erlang o.o

Aithòs

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyDrake View Post
Well, since you are one of the programmers.. aside from scheduling, what's preventing you from increasing that limit? Is it a client-side limitation, or is it a matter of trying to keep backend overhead down?
I'm not one of their programmers but my guess would be database limitations. When you have a playerbase in the millions and each one can have X number of friends you are talkin about a table dealing with tens if not hundreds of millions of records and that puts a lot of strain on performance. Increasing it by say 100 could mean several billion more records...

CommandShockwave

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhattayaBrian View Post
1. We're much, much bigger than 10k lines of code. :P I did a fairly janky rough estimate, and--ignoring preprocesser directives, comments, and brace-only lines, we've got about 425,000 lines of code.

Bad style is in the eye of the beholder, and it's important to separate what is beautiful to you from what is reasonable to write. If you write:

void f() { // brace not on its own line
// ...code...
}

Then I cringe, but it's not like I can't understand it.

2. Yes. YES. There's no such thing as a programmer who doesn't get compile errors.

I'll respond to other things when I get home--just wanted to grab the line numbers while I could. :P
425k?! Holy sh*t. That seriously sounded like a lot, but then I got curious.

I wonder how many lines of code WoW is?

...well, in 2009 it was, wait for it... 5.5 MILLION LINES. WATAFAK.

RockcIimber

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydion View Post

I want to get into programming in languages such as C++ and eventually try to work on small games (maybe using UDK). For someone that has hardly any programming experience aside from a bit of dabbling in HTML and JavaScript a few years ago would you still recommend that website for a start? I've tried jumping straight into C++ using learncpp.com but I kind of lost track at times and it felt like I wasn't really getting anywhere at times.

Akuseru

01-29-2013

I would like to give props to whoever came up with the format for spectator mode. having poked around it quite a bit I find it's really clever. I hope that if / when we get an official replay system you guys can release details about the system I bet developers could create some really sick stuff (like how you did with the RAF formats)