Why do Game Developers think they know what the players want? What games failed you?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MLG Weedle

01-29-2013

I've seen glitches/accidental coding error, that players enjoyed and could've sparked an idea for the developers to incorporate in the game, get "fixed". I've seen so many games turn to dust due to over-simplification of the game. Games that begin to turn "r&tard proof" hurts its older players and benefits newer players. The irony is making something extremely easy to understand doesn't quite bring out skill or understanding to the new users, they must go through the hours of experience like everyone else did. If anything the game becomes more easier and "over powered" from my experience and levels/achievements are gained much easier & faster.

All it took was Burning Crusade (Second Expansion of WoW) to wreck the game for a lot of users. WOTLK was personally what was the last straw for me. The 2 games that disappointed me the most were, Maplestory & Gunz. With so many new jobs and monsters, what used to take beta/2005 users a year+ of grinding to get to level 170-ish not even 200. Now in 2013 a player can achieve level 200 in a week with NX Cash(Karma Coins)

Gunz 2 removed the ability to K-style and many other trick moves. This was what made the game unique in its own way. No other game came close to the combat system gunz had. You defied gravity and did it with style(armor and skills) The best part was you did not have to conform to learning K-style.The community created their own game style without aid of the Developers. Everyone knew their play style and joined rooms that complimented it. (People didn't get angry because you didn't go with the meta(K-style) there were i believe 4 other styles then sprayers)

TL;DR I fear Riot will fall into this way of thinking "We know what you want" I see it a little bit, but hopefully its nothing. I'm curious to see if anyone has felt this way about a game you used to play. I'd like to read the comments.

with momoiroUME

01-29-2013

Most big corporation are like this. Runescape is probably another good example. I just play league till it ends up like that and another good MMO/MOBA comes out.

Steelra

01-29-2013

I understand that feel. But Riot seems a lot more involved with their community than most companies.

I kind of wish we had a poll page, where Riot looks for possible changes to the game and then polls the players for their input.

Galgus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2013

What exactly are you afraid of Riot doing?

Deleting some fun bug/ gimmick that might show up in the future?

Goth Skunk

01-29-2013

What games failed me?

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Syndicate
Hitman: Absolution
Alpha Protocol
Borderlands
Fallout: New Vegas

GEARS3OWNS

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goth Skunk View Post
What games failed me?

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Syndicate
Hitman: Absolution
Alpha Protocol
Borderlands
Fallout: New Vegas
Fall Out New Vegas...I cry for the tears of my Vault brethern.

Worst Zed Ever

01-29-2013

Game Companies strive to make money and only money once they get too big, only releasing what they think will make them money safely, mainstreaming it, adding co-op/multiplayer, and taking out the stuff that made the real fans love that series to cater to the majority. Resident Evil is an example of this.

Game Companies that have let me down? Obsidian, Bioware, and Blizzard.

The Fatalii

01-29-2013

The new final fantasy games. Everything after ff10 just blows. No free world map and ****

Voidgolem

01-29-2013

Capcom is the only one that really comes to mind.

Galgus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2013

I enjoyed Fallout: New Vegas for awhile, but its an ocean of content with knee-high depth.

Not to mention the second half of the game is pretty much arbitrarily deciding the fate of the region with very limited choices.

I much prefered the scavenger/ small-time hero feel of the first half.

Honestly, Skyrim is kind of the same way IMO.