Did Annie's visual rework surprise you?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

StationaryObject

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
We scrapped and reworked the old one, that's a fair expectation. I think it delivers.
I knew there was a reason why you were one of my favorite red's.
<3 You rock.

Apollinarius

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Yi and Sion are definitely on the list (in my mind, Sion is the WORST offender). In this case, how we prioritize has a lot of complexities - specifically for Sion, we also want to fix his gameplay, but we're not doing Sion before we get through Karma, and hopefully Heimer.

So we chose a rework that was art-only. Sivir was a runner-up, but the art team wanted to get Annie done first as it also shows a definition for non-standard age characters in our updated art style - specifically, Annie shows what children look like in League.
This rework made me sad. While the old art wasn't great quality, it really worked for Annie thematically. It was cutesy, and Annie was all about being cute while your face melted off.

The new Annie doesn't look cute at all. She is a lot more cruel looking without retaining any of the child qualities. The resulting combination makes her feel nothing like Annie of old. I guess that's a goal with the reworks - to change the feel of the champion - but while I think it improved things for Nidalee and Soraka, it was a change for the worse for Annie.

Since I was never very good with her, I primarily played her because I wanted to play as Annie with her bear Tibbers in Co-op games. Now that motivation is gone.

Schwalbenschwanz

01-29-2013

Suspicious how none of the questions about Taric get answered. Could this be a sign? (Pls make it happen)

Morello

Lead Designer

01-29-2013
11 of 65 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarkaid View Post
I know that this is a little bit off-topic but Morello could you please tell us if there's a Zyra skin on the works? Anytime soon? She is my favorite mid champion and I would like a new skin on her
Not right away, but we are concepting one - and it will be good

There are other champs that I want to get skins out for first.

questir

01-29-2013

Morello i have to say that I'm scared how long will take for a Warwick kit rework or buff because im pretty sure you guys gonna realize how outdated his kit is. The last rework was from Kat and came out with a model rework and this makes me think that if there is plans for a kit rework you guys going to release this along with the model rework at the same time and seems like a Warwick model rework will take some time because there is other model rework priorities which i agree

Morello

Lead Designer

01-29-2013
12 of 65 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollinarius View Post
This rework made me sad. While the old art wasn't great quality, it really worked for Annie thematically. It was cutesy, and Annie was all about being cute while your face melted off.

The new Annie doesn't look cute at all. She is a lot more cruel looking without retaining any of the child qualities. The resulting combination makes her feel nothing like Annie of old. I guess that's a goal with the reworks - to change the feel of the champion - but while I think it improved things for Nidalee and Soraka, it was a change for the worse for Annie.

Since I was never very good with her, I primarily played her because I wanted to play as Annie with her bear Tibbers in Co-op games. Now that motivation is gone.
Sorry to hear that - that is disappointing when that happens. Have you actually played with it with the VO lines, animations, etc, or did you look at a screenshot?

I do feel that your view is a great minority here, but that's not much consolation when you're that person :P Though it's true that reworking anything will be met with some unhappiness, I'd just like to minimize that.

Mirana Arashi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2013

Come on Morello , don't ignore me and tell me , is Heimerdinger in the list for a Visual Upgrade? I desperately want to know , please.

Zerglinator

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by swan2swan View Post
Does this mean that we can expect another child champion in the near future? Because that would be cool (at the moment we've got Nunu and Annie, and possibly Amumu, though people say he's a Yordle...I find it more thematically-fitting if he's an immortal child, though).
Dangit bro, Fizz! FIZZ!

Hellioning

01-29-2013

Morello, you should make an ask thread, like the ones Ezreal and Gypsylord have.

I promise none of my questions will be about Irelia or healing.

Neo Starscream

01-29-2013

Morello! quic question and if you can answer, what are some of the themes you guys are working on for upcoming skins, not for who just the concepts on what to expect? :3