Help thread for players, answer by 1800s.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ExecutionerK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoLash View Post
I'm fairly sure skillshots only get difficult at like 600 ping. I've had 350 ping or so on holidays and I could land skillshots just fine. I have 170-220 ping here in Australia, and that seems almost perfect to me. It's just what you're used to, and if you usually play 200+ ping I don't see why you should have a problem with it.

And a question to Ken..
I've just started ranked matches, and have won 9 and lost 9 (Around 1200 elo). I personally think this is the right elo for me at the moment, but I think I can push it up to around 1300+ if started duo'ing.

I currently have the following champions:

Top: Garen, Jax, Jayce, Kayle, Nidalee, Olaf, Tryndamere, Warwick
Jungle: Warwick, Olaf, Nunu?
Mid: Ashe, Katarina, Kayle, Nidalee, Ryze
ADC: Ashe, Corki, Ezreal, Graves
Support: Soraka, Nunu

I feel like most of the champions I have for top lane and jungle I am not comfortable with. It's mainly Olaf jungle and Jayce top i'm going to when I need it. My "main" role however (I don't play it the most, I play whatever I need but I'm best at it and I ask for it usually) is ADC. I feel like I need to get more champions that benefit a wider range of supports. Primarily improving champions that are less caster orientated and more like auto-attacking and kiting, which is why i'm picking up Ashe.

Also, I've started playing support. I'm currently strangely successful with my soraka, but am not a fan of nunu. What agressive supports do you think I should pick up, if I can only afford 1 for the time being (of any price).

I'm happy with mid and support (for a little bit) but should I aid my lack of choice in competent bruisers/tanks and AD assassins such as Darius, Khazix, Zed or buy Vayne/Draven (I realllllyy want to but think I'll be bad at her).

<3 Ken. Thnx for answering all these questions over the last few months.
First off if you are maining AD carry I think you should stick to it and avoid learning everything at once. It is good to practice support as well because you will be playing with a support in the lane majority of the time but learning jungle and top at the same time? You won't have enough time.

I think you should learn Caitlyn however, she represent the lane dominated AD carry with superior autoattack range, which is similar to ashe in the lane. Practice to harass with Caitlyn and win the lane than works on Ashe as Ashe has 50 less autoattack range but have the strongest ranged AD carry ultimate.

As for support, I will recommend playing Taric and Leona. These two champions are really strong and tanky

rikoLash

01-28-2013

Thanks for the reply.

I'll definitely look to purchase Taric soon as he's pretty cheap. Sorry for another essay, but you I can't resist taking the opportunity to talk to players of your skill level xD

I've tried Caitlyn many times, and the thing that has struck me every time is that her range seems to be so much lower than it feels like when i'm playing against her. I've had too many bot lane caitlyn's lost lane against champions like Graves, Ezreal etc. I think I wouldn't do very well with caitlyn but her style of play would be worth learning to improve my mechanics on other champions.

The thing which has confused me EVEN more now however, is that today, in a Normals Draft Mode game, I played against an Ezreal as Miss Fortune. In the background was a Chaox stream in which several people had said that MF was the strongest adc in season 3.

I tried her out, and absolutely destroyed the Ezreal. I could eventually kill AP Yi while he was meditating just by popping W and auto-attacking with my Q. I know learning her may not improve myself as substantially but I feel like I can fare in lanes that I previously had trouble in (Against Ezreal, Caitlyn). My personal experiences of Caitlyn in the past lead me to think that Miss Fortune will win me more lanes as I slowly build up my champion roster.

The reason why I wanted to start on jungle and top is because there are times when i MUST play these roles. Prior to becoming lvl 30, I found that carrying as an ADC was practically impossible if you don't have a tanky bruiser on your team who has also done well to back you up and peel for you. I then found a liking to almost all the champions that play top lane and jungle and began buying some of them. Even though my teammates are consistent now, I feel like playing CC monsters as being extremely beneficial when I can play champions like Olaf and just split push or backdoor all day.

^ The above is a useful paragraph that you really shouldn't have wasted your time in reading, as it doesn't help anyone. As are these couple of sentences, and the next paragraph.

What do you think of Chaox/Xpecial in contrast to Aphrolift? I don't know how good Aphrolift is, as I am only familiar with Doublelift's individual skill, but after watching them mess around today in solo queue (I have nothing better to do I just came back from overseas) I don't feel like Chaox is a top tier ADC anymore.

Soraka build. Sight stone - aegis upgrade- warmogs - rylais - locket - frozen heart
My build is tanky, and I feel like it's not how your meant to build soraka at all. The only reason I continue to use it is because of how god damn easy it makes it for me in teamfights and how succesful I've been with this build in normals and ranked. I can stand just about anywhere in range and just act like a second tank. My question in this case is, how are you MEANT to build Soraka? Also, does Q even proc rylais?

AsianDiction

01-28-2013

Wassup Ken,

Something I really wish to be addressed, how do you know when to flash/tumble/arcane shift out of CC in the middle of a fight? It happens mostly when I'm on vayne, but how do you keep track of cc coming at you? Reaction time? Random flashes and somehow dodged that knockup? I can barely concentrate in a teamfight, and I always never notice the CC coming at me in time to dodge it.

Seen pro streamers such as Aphromoo, vayne dodging every CC, snares, knockups. My question is, is this you have to teach yourself or does it come with experience of getting hit by them?

Is using A as attack move really important to walk inbetween AA as an ADC? Currently I use my right click, move and then click enemy, repeat.

Thanks again, hope my repeated questions aren't annoying.

ExecutionerK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoLash View Post
What do you think of Chaox/Xpecial in contrast to Aphrolift? I don't know how good Aphrolift is, as I am only familiar with Doublelift's individual skill, but after watching them mess around today in solo queue (I have nothing better to do I just came back from overseas) I don't feel like Chaox is a top tier ADC anymore.

Soraka build. Sight stone - aegis upgrade- warmogs - rylais - locket - frozen heart
My build is tanky, and I feel like it's not how your meant to build soraka at all. The only reason I continue to use it is because of how god damn easy it makes it for me in teamfights and how succesful I've been with this build in normals and ranked. I can stand just about anywhere in range and just act like a second tank. My question in this case is, how are you MEANT to build Soraka? Also, does Q even proc rylais?
As far as I can tell, currently the strongest support player is probably madlife, but because woong is so bad that no one ever mention about him (sucks to be a support that has a bad AD carry). Combo wise, mechanically Aphrolift is probably the best, but I am 100% sure that Xpecial knows support better and deeper than aphro, thus probably making chaox/xpecial combo better. (And yes, Chaox is more of an all-rounded player compare to a top tier ADC)

Soraka build:
1. Rylai does proc with starfall, but it counts as AoE (so 15% slow)
2. Your soraka build is really expensive, and usually you won't have that much money
3. In some team comp you will want shurelya for engaging or disengaging.
4. The cdr is really late in your build, which is often the strongest stat support can have.

ExecutionerK

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianDiction View Post
Wassup Ken,

Something I really wish to be addressed, how do you know when to flash/tumble/arcane shift out of CC in the middle of a fight? It happens mostly when I'm on vayne, but how do you keep track of cc coming at you? Reaction time? Random flashes and somehow dodged that knockup? I can barely concentrate in a teamfight, and I always never notice the CC coming at me in time to dodge it.

Seen pro streamers such as Aphromoo, vayne dodging every CC, snares, knockups. My question is, is this you have to teach yourself or does it come with experience of getting hit by them?

Is using A as attack move really important to walk inbetween AA as an ADC? Currently I use my right click, move and then click enemy, repeat.

Thanks again, hope my repeated questions aren't annoying.
The better you are at awareness, the easier it will be for you to keep track of everything. I know that some AD carries can even memorize the cooldown on the enemy abilities, while some AD carries rely on supports to help them so that they know what is coming to them.

As for tumble/arcane shift useage on escape, you should always use them right before the enemies going to hit you, either it is a malphite ultimate or an olaf running at you.

This is something that you will have to keep practicing to learn, or you can get a friend or two just spam skillshots at you.

Finally for A clicking, it is an easy way to let you kite without the need to right click on the enemy, as most players do not click fast enough and a good portion of the attack speed will be wasted, so until you are sure that you can fully use that attack speed (which is unlikely) you should just stick to A click and attack whatever is closest to you.

Bad Player

01-28-2013

Would you recommend gp10 or armor yellows on support? Also what do you do for reds?

ExecutionerK

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadPlayer6 View Post
Would you recommend gp10 or armor yellows on support? Also what do you do for reds?
You can get SOME gp10 on yellows if you have to but never all out gp10. Armor is too strong on support when it comes to bottom lane.

Personally I use armor red and armor yellow with gp10 quints, but there should be enough room for you to fit some gp10 in yellow but should never go past 4gp10 (with quints)

MadeByEdam

01-28-2013

When do we should Baron in a game - and when we shouldnt

ex: when all of the ennemie is died and we cant push, the earliest possible... etc...

ExecutionerK

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouhahaha View Post
When do we should Baron in a game - and when we shouldnt

ex: when all of the ennemie is died and we cant push, the earliest possible... etc...
1. When enemy have a strong turtle team comp
2. When you are so far ahead of the enemies that if they fight you, they will lose
3. When the enemies are out of position
4. When the enemies don't have map control.

rikoLash

01-28-2013

Thanks AGAIN for the reply, I'll keep that in mind when I'm playing soraka next.

As Miss Fortune how am I meant to position myself in a teamfight? She's the first ADC i've played without a reposition skill of some sort, and in the last game I found that in order to get my full ulti off I would have to come too close to the fight, and Olaf could just dive me regardless where I was standing it seemed.

I'm assuming it's just practicing kiting that I need to do, but a fed Olaf running at you with ghost is kinda hard to stop.