Mac PBE vs Bootcamp

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Udyr

eCommerce Manager

Follow Udyr on Twitter

01-28-2013
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Someone posted the suggestion of resetting the Mac's SMC if you are playing on a laptop.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Also in the power settings preferences, you should select "Higher Performance" when you want to play LoL, which should help as well.

Mokkun

01-29-2013

This thread seems to have been slightly high-jacked into talking about people with very very significantly newer/fancier setups than me (specifically, Retina).

And apparently laptops.

The original post has to do with an iMac, not a laptop.

Not sure that helps for much with the initial post's point, but I should probably make the distinction in case it does.

Topher84

01-30-2013

the iMac is a macbook pro with an attached monitor. Same parts better display.

Sighmon8x

01-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher84 View Post
the iMac is a macbook pro with an attached monitor. Same parts better display.
Their specs are actually quite different.
Well, different enough.
Also there is a huge difference in ventilation and power usage.

Betta

02-01-2013

Your problem is 10.6.8. Newer versions of OS X have better implementations of OpenGL and newer graphics card drivers.

hailstorm350

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokkun View Post
On the other hand. Unlike iLoL, I can actually ping the minimap.
I don't know why you're having this problem with iLoL, I run it all the time on a mac Mini (last one w/ a CD drive, 4GB ram, core 2 duo 2.4Ghz, not great graphics), and can ping all day long w/ both types of pings.

Quote:
Self cast works (all be it with the issues that self cast has on windows too for randomly needing multiple key inputs) and I don't have to open and confirm the interface to clear glitchy junk off my screen.
You can open package contents on iLol, navigate inside until you find an application named "wine" or something similar inside. You can toggle a checkbox that allows option to be used in game so self casting works.

Quote:
~edit I am very sad that Command-M does not work to window mode the game.
You can set resolution in game to enter windowed mode, but you're right, it's extremely difficult to get to windowed mode easily, let alone switch to background apps.

It really is crazy the difference. And I do believe that it's drivers, there's also an option in the aforementioned app that you can choose to use quartz or something along those lines to improve performance in the game.
Usually I get hte most lag when I'm clicking a lot, so it's teaching me to be a little easier on my mouse

EDIT: I am on 10.8

Hype Algerian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-08-2013

Hackintosh user here. It's an Asus G53jw that has both Windows and Mac on it (it's a whole fight to get Mac to work, but worth it for development / testing issues).

Both Win & Mac clients (not iLoL) work flawlessly without VSync and all max. iLoL has a sharp FPS drop but that is to be expected due to the Wine layer; still awesome given the circumstances.

------

10.6.8 is hella old in Mac terms. Also, there are newer drivers for NVidia cards I think (though they only work on 10.8.1 or other Lion versions onwards). I do think that getting those 30fps is actually a feat considering the build of your Mac.