Matchmaking Changes [1-16-2013]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dex7ter

01-28-2013

bot on top lane make this game, 71 wins ez 5 sona, again fail mm not fair...

Guges

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex7ter View Post
bot on top lane make this game, 71 wins ez 5 sona, again fail mm not fair...
Looks like your Darius is the reason you lost. He fed top.

Your Sona had 16 assists and your Ez only had 5 deaths...I'd say she did her job just fine.

Economicz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-28-2013

matches no longer even

Ryios

01-28-2013

I had a game last night where I qued with 2 friends. We had planned on our garen going top, our 700+win guy going jungle, and I was going to go mid on kennen with amumu in the jungle...

Well the Duo Que MF and Sivir decided that wasn't going to happen. They locked after 30 seconds and both said "Top". We were forced to not have a jungler. I had called mid and went with kennen to fast... my mistake there. Our jungler ended up going fizz who got countered by elise so I had to go AP bot... (we had two ad range top) with garen.. who had also called top and locked. MF and Sivir didn't care, they went top...

Anyways... MF And Sivir lost their lane to Wukong (who was solo, they had a jungler)... how do two of the strongest AD carries loose top to wukong?.... They were constantly over extending and getting jumped by Shyvana and wukoing's ult... Then calling us bad the whole game...

Matchmaking was horrible in this since. I have about 300 wins, my other friend with 700+ our garen is level 27 and has around 120 wins or something.... Matchmaking found us two people who didn't even know what roles go in what lanes. It's stuff like this that makes people play with smurfs when trying to get their friends to level 30.

RiotKiddington

Platform Engineer

01-28-2013
45 of 46 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancine View Post
what if i have 2200 normal wins? I CANT FIND A QUEUE FOR 30 MIN
This is not the case. The feature will turn it self off after searching for 90 seconds without finding enough players within the given range.

However, in the next version of MM change, we will make additional adjustment to make matchmaking speed a little faster.

Ryios

01-28-2013

I don't really care how long I'm in que, as long as the matches are balanced.

What would make that nicer is if we could actually see what's going on during the que. E.g. Have an icon next to the que timer we can click on that shows us who's been found and how many are still being looked for. Then maybe we could just click cancel if we recognize any trolls and don't want to q, then the other player's screen would just show me disappear and it continues to fill my spot.

You could even have it be more detailed like

JoeSombody = W:340|L:901 ELO:1209 MPC: Riven T:80%, M:10%, B:5%, J: 5%

MPC (most played champion), T = Top, M = Mid, B = Bot, J = Jungle

So if I want to top, I see he's 80% top, I could just click shuffle on the q window and it moves me to a different matchmaking in progress or something like that. But probably would fail, someone would always be clicking shuffle...

Asphexius

01-28-2013

Looks like some positive steps riot, though longer, que's i have had some really fun, close games this past week.

Questions when queing for non-ranked 5's (group of irl friends);

Primarily, three of us have 600+ wins, break even to +10% win/loss (ish), one has about 300 wins, and the last only has 150-200 wins, and is much lower elo.

Do premade 5's match with premade 5's exclusively in draft/blind non-ranked? We have consistently run into a situation where this lower experience, lower elo play cannot feasibly play with us. After playing with him in 2's and 3's (vs. the 5's- still 5v5 format) it would appear he gets matched with D's/F's (A-F; i know A-F is overly simplified and bad scale for comparison, but works for the rough idea) if not in a 5 man premade. He has to lane against something more akin to a B's/C's any time we 5 que. The difference is drastic, where he may go 50/50 in performance in those smaller ques it goes to roughly 05/95 in performance in 5 man (still unranked) que. Most noticeably he recently had to lane vs a person who had 400 wins on any of us (over a 1000 different to him) with something like a 20-25% win/loss ratio. The short version is we basically had to stop playing with (and have that akward conversation) an irl friend since there isn't a 'pub' mode. Eg, games that have no matchmaking system would pair you randomly with any and all skill levels so you would have hard games and easy games in any given lane. Pubs without matchmaking would be the quintessential, 'you win some you lose some'. While a 'pub' mode would be interesting to consider, obviously wouldn't be popular in most situations.

Just curious on how this scenario works in the matchmaking system and personally don't see a real solution. Short answer seems that you can't really play full premade with friends of various skill levels and experience levels, especially when there is such a significant gap on the team. With this game being so heavily reliant on all the players you can only carry so much and walking in 4v5 isn't much of a starter

Sikozu

01-28-2013

Question for the REDs:

So, I have recently started to play Ranked - Solo Queue games again, and I've notice a trend that is kind of frustrating. So first background information.

I have over 500wins total. I believe within Ranked - Solo Queue I'm 6 and 4 at 1260ish ELO (and slowly climbing).

Now, here's my concern. We are supposed to be grouped with people of similar skill and wins if I understand the changes correctly. Now I acknowledge, I can end up with great and horrible players at my ELO as 1200 is the entry point, and I'm still near it. However, my last few games I've looked at the people I've played with, they are all 200 or less wins and "Unranked" in the Ranked - Solo Queue.

It is kind of frustrating too, as I generally play support (I fill also) and it is very common for me to witness classic "rookie" mistakes, which in all honesty, I don't feel I should have to deal with. Especially when considering I'm past the 500 win mark, and yes I know, there people with far more wins than that out there too.

So to sum, is there a reason I'm being grouped with low win players? My last game was composed entirely of -200win, "Unranked" players. Is the win ratio going off of our Ranked Wins? I'm just curious if this is intended or an accident. Oh! The queue time I'm experiencing is anywhere from instant, to about a 40seconds if that means anything to you.

Thanks!
Sikozu =]

DCode

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-28-2013

Hello
@RiotKiddington
@Lyte

I'm still being paired with players that have 5-6k less gold than me as I play jungle, sometimes even as support. I kill their enemy laner 2, sometimes 3 times in a row, I do this for every lane, and jungle.
They pěss the advantage away, feed, and the game ends as I pile up deaths to desperately try to BD. (from 7/0 -> 9/11, in this instance).

This is not fun, when are you going to undo the work you've put into matchmaking entirely?
I'm patiently waiting, 3v1ing or 2v1ing enemies just so I can kill 4 towers+inhib+nexus in a row in a desperate glorious 1 man power push is getting pretty damn boring, I'd like to play with real teammates again, you know, the ones I had before you fiddled with matchmaking.

I'm sure you don't care about my soloque woes but, I couldnt help but share my story.

DCode

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotKiddington View Post
However, in the next version of MM change, we will make additional adjustment to make matchmaking speed a little faster.
Forgive the double post Mr Kiddington however could you consider undoing the matchmaking changes entirely before you consider making additional adjustments?

Maybe its easier to make a step in the right direction if you take a step back from the wrong one, maybe if you stay in the wrong one it'll take you 2 steps, or more steps, or maybe even a light jog before you end up in the right direction again.