I'm RiotGypsy. AMAA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

nxKythas

01-27-2013

Is there a reason you say Wrengar over just Rengar?

Super Explosion

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxKythas View Post
Is there a reason you say Wrengar over just Rengar?
"Wryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy", perhaps.

Lion-Wrench?

Someone to keep Wriggle's Lantern company?

Simple semi-phonetic pleasures?

gypsylord

Champion Designer

01-27-2013
63 of 65 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Explosion View Post
Burst mages are not "incredibly toxic"--

See: Season 1 Annie and Fiddlesticks.

AKA some of the champions that made the game popular and memorable in the first place.

As well, I'm not sure how you can hold the opinion that getting 'one-shotted' is bad while simultaneously releasing things like Darius, Kha'Zix, and Black Cleaver.

You may as well delete the assassin class entirely with that.

(Alternatively, you could try to foster mechanical counterplay through itemization and well-timed burst mitigation abilities. )
Annie either reliably one-shots you or she doesn't. If she can do it then your lane is over. Whenever that bear is up she is going to kill you. That's just how it's going to be. You can't CS, you can't fight her, the only thing you can do is pray to the jungle gods and hope that your Lee Sin doesn't have other lanes to babysit. When Annie was able to do this consistently in most games it was incredibly frustrating for players. Look, I love Annie, she's a great character and I'm glad she's in our game, I just worry what our game would be like if her strength was at the "gets picked frequently in tournaments" level. I have a feeling there would be significantly less amounts of fun going on.

Fiddlesticks is not a burst mage. Veigar is a burst mage.

Burst mages burst you from 600+ range, all within the span of about a second.

Darius and Kha both have to get close to you for slightly longer periods of time in order to deliver their burst (ideally this is the case, Kha @ 2.4 AD ratio was crazy OP) . This necessitates a higher amount of risk and positioning and allows for more counterplay. There isn't much counterplay to a fed Annie. She drops a bear on you and you die. GG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporai View Post
Do you guys have a demonic champion on the pipeline?
Demons are scary
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorofTortuga View Post
When designing champions, will you take in to account the requests of the community to decide what is most fitting?
We're always listening to the community. Leona is a great example of this. People wanted the "female tank." They got Leona. We're always trying to gauge player desires and try to deliver on that in whatever ways we can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord Hades View Post
what are your thoughts on Darius and will he be getting a rework soon.... also do you like cup cakes ?
From a "playing as" standpoint I think Darius is one of our best designed champs. Theme is cohesive. Everything on him feels great and functions how I expect it to. Fluid combos. Big high moments. Super fun.

Playing against though, Darius is not so great. No clear opportunities for counterplay outside of "just kite him and pray your jungler comes to help." I believe CertainlyT is testing some Darius changes. We'll see how they pan out.

Kupkup

01-27-2013

Will we ever see a doppelganger champ that can steal/copy abilities in some fashion?

King Osthilion

01-27-2013

Hey RiotGypsy,
I was thinking about how awesome it would be to have a champion that would be a GORILLA!!!. Is there any possibility of this in the future?

Super Explosion

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsylord View Post
Fiddlesticks is not a burst mage. Veigar is a burst mage.

Someone didn't see the beta. Ask Phreak about it.

Quote:
Darius and Kha both have to get close to you for slightly longer periods of time in order to deliver their burst (ideally this is the case, Kha @ 2.4 AD ratio was crazy OP) . This necessitates a higher amount of risk and positioning and allows for more counterplay. There isn't much counterplay to a fed Annie. She drops a bear on you and you die. GG.
Look, you can pretty much say "there isn't much counterplay" to a fed anything.

Kha'Zix drops himself on you with E. You die. GG.

The fact is that counterplay does exist to such abilities in the form of Banshee's Veil, Kayle Ult, Soraka Heal, Morgana Shield, Zhonya's Hourglass, Hexdrinker, Basic Resists and so on.

You could literally focus on providing players with skillful timed counterplay maneuvers.

Quote:
Annie either reliably one-shots you or she doesn't. If she can do it then your lane is over. Whenever that bear is up she is going to kill you. That's just how it's going to be. You can't CS, you can't fight her, the only thing you can do is pray to the jungle gods and hope that your Lee Sin doesn't have other lanes to babysit. When Annie was able to do this consistently in most games it was incredibly frustrating for players. Look, I love Annie, she's a great character and I'm glad she's in our game, I just worry what our game would be like if her strength was at the "gets picked frequently in tournaments" level. I have a feeling there would be significantly less amounts of fun going on.
You're not talking about Annie here.

You're talking about every champion with any sort of burst ability.

You may as well replace "Annie" with "Riven".

This has nothing to do with burst mages at all, it has to do with lanes being very snowbally.

That is a gamestate issue that does need to be corrected, and it is not corrected by making burst mages pointless to pick.

FyshinaTux

01-27-2013

I'm a little butt-hurt at the moment, so QQ incoming but please read on as I'll try to keep it polite ^^;

Akali, just played against one...

She had a hextech gunblade, liandry's torment, warmogs, sunfire cape, and boots... she was unkillable and practically instagibbed everyone with that build.

My question, I suppose, is whether or not there are any plans to look into akali's balance issues. She's supposed to be an assassin, not an assassin+tank combo.

gypsylord

Champion Designer

01-27-2013
64 of 65 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Explosion View Post
You're not talking about Annie here.

You're talking about every champion with any sort of burst ability.

You may as well replace "Annie" with "Riven".

This has nothing to do with burst mages at all, it has to do with lanes being very snowbally.

That is a gamestate issue that does need to be corrected, and it is not corrected by making burst mages pointless to pick.
^Should have bolded that line. It isn't just the damage that makes burst mages problematic. It's the effective range and speed at which they can apply said damage. Riven has to close with you to kill you and her combo takes a good amount of time to execute. Characters like Annie and Veigar do not have either of those downsides. With Riven, Kha, and Darius, you oftentimes get to "see it coming," and even if you don't their aggression will at least still place them in a position that is significantly less safe.

Will answer more questions later. Need to go eat...then sleep...

Aran888888

01-27-2013

Is there any work being done on xerath? Hes my favorite champion, but i hate how weak he is with everyone having gapclosers. And he kinda feels dumb without his ulti.

Please respond!

Avaela

01-27-2013

Why does having a big sword make Miss Fortune's bullets hit harder?
Its a simple question Norm