Support Match Ups

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vandevic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-25-2013

Hi, I don't have a ton of games under my belt. (less then 300 wins, about 80-90 ranked games this season) I consider myself a more then decent jungler when the occasion calls for it, an ok AP top or mid, and a horrible ADC. I main support and my ELO usually ranges between 1100-1300 this season as I've gotten a tad bit more serious in ranked games.

My credentials out of the way, I wanted to discuss Support Match Ups, and what roles are best for which supports. I main supports, but I am by no means a higher ELO player so my opinions may be wrong here. Part of the reason for me posting this is I wanted to learn a bit from the community. Anyway, I'll talk first and foremost about the supports I'm most experienced with, and then move on down the line from there.

Taric: Easily one of the strongest supports in the current metagame. If I am one of the first picks in a ranked game, and have no idea what the enemy ADC and Support are gonna be, I pick either Taric or Janna. A number of reasons here: fear factor on the stun is high, and allows you to bully the lane pretty well. Also, his passive aura reduces damage to your ADC from the opposing ADC, and your heal helps with lane sustain as well. I usually put two points into the heal early, and that should tide you over nicely through the laning phase. Lastly, his burst when you land his stun followed by a shatter is pretty good. Late game he tapers off a bit, but the aura and the stun remain useful throughout the game.

Janna: Seemingly fell out of favor with many players, Janna is my go to if Taric is already spoken for, or if they have some sort of kill lane all in engage comp like Leona/Vayne. If your carry is engaged on then her Q (coupled with her shield) can buy the time needed for them to back off after the Stun/engage. Also, between her Q and her R she is adept at stopping ganks that would otherwise be disastrous. Helps that most her abilities disrupt a few champs that are popular at the moment like Katarina. I look at Janna mostly as a counterpick to various picks made by the enemy team for the most part, however, she is an extraordinarily safe choice if you are first pick support and have no idea what you are getting into. Sidenote: she's one of the few champs I feel I get full effect from taking pickpocket. She's fast enough to run in, tap a champion, and run out without taking harass.

Lulu: She's an alternate Janna in a lot of ways for me. She's a choice that again I will pick into if the enemy comp is hyper aggressive, and this is for a few reasons. Early game Lulu harass hits pretty hard (using both Q and E as damage). That Blitzcrank/Graves lane will think twice about trying to grab you or your carry if they're low on health, and Lulu can typically harass vs these types of comps pretty safely. Also if a grab or engage happens her Ult, along with polymorph and her shield, can help to get you or your carry out alive. Her late game usefulness sort of outstrips Taric a bit because of the multitude of options she has, and maybe I should make her more of a go to champ in a number of other situations because she is really good at her job, but honestly I mostly use her if I see an Alistar or Blitzcrank on the opposing team. It may sound crazy to use her versus these types of supports, but I've had great success with it.

Soraka: My main support last season, and one I do not use anymore at all. I used to love to couple her with Ezreal/Corki to keep us in lane as long as possible, and the global ultimate helped ganks/dives in other lanes. That said, for some reason in S3 Soraka seems so underwhelming I don't like playing her anymore. Passive lanes are not the thing right now, you want to be able to walk up and help you carry crush the opposing duo, and that is not Soraka's forte at all.

Sona: Another mainstay pick of mine from S2, she is not a safe pick anymore and I only pick her in HIGHLY specific circumstances. Typically those circumstances include a Janna on the opposing team along with an ADC that does not have an especially hard hitting burst/steroid (i.e Caitlyn). Her hard hitting harass is still top notch, but she is so vulnerable in lane to the likes of Blitzcrank/Taric/Alistar/Leona (I could list more but I'll stop there) that I really don't pick her much at all. You want poke? Go Lulu.You want sustain? Level Taric's heal. Sona is a dangerous pick nowadays in my opinion.

Nunu: Great support, I pick him in very specific circumstances, although he seems to match most carries really well. I've even run him with Ezreals (which is sort of a bizarre choice I think) and he seems to do well. Bloodboil is amazing, absolutely amazing. It's like giving your ADC an extra item to melt the enemy team with. Couple that with his icebolt which will slow an enemy carry's speed/attackspeed, in addition to his ult, he is extremely good at both assisting his carry in getting kills and protecting them from the enemy team. I build mine really tanky, and oftentimes if you are blue side you can tank golems for your ADC at level 1 if you put a point into Q first. (this will effect early laning though, just a warning)

Blitzcrank: I used to play him a lot, but as most know he's almost always banned so I'm not as practiced with him as I could be. What can I say about Blitzcrank that isn't obvious? His CC combo is one of the best in the game, and timely grabs enable you to steal buffs and sneak kills that would be impossible otherwise. When I see an opposing Blitzcrank I have to be mindful of the grab, but you cannot fear it. You have to harass a Blitzcrank and put fear into that player, or otherwise he will eventually get that one grab that turns the tide.

Alistar: Here's a guy that is sort of just off the ban list in my ELO tier, I don't have a ton of experience with him. I've played him a few times, and his CC is ridiculously good, however I fail a lot at his combo so I shy away from using him for the most part.

Leona: I think Leona's CC is just as good, if not better in some instances, then Blitzcrank/Alistar's. The issue is she's intimidating for newer players to learn, and so you don't see her as often as some of the other CC monster supports like Taric/Blitzcrank/Alistar. She couples well with burst, just like the rest of them do, and Leona/Graves is combo to have a healthy fear of if you see them in lane. If I see a support on the other side that is squishy without an escape (i.e. Nami/Sona/Soraka) then I instantly go to Leona to make them pay. Of note: she is a great pick vs a Sivir as the shield Sivir throws up will block the root portion of your E, but you still dash to her. If you follow up directly with your Q then you still get the stun off. That's one of the big areas Leona's CC beats Blitzcrank's hands down.

Kayle: Ok, so Kayle may excel better at other lanes nowadays. She definitely does better with farm. All that aside, she is still an excellent support and I use her to great success today. First off: Crucible is often a waste on many supports, as past levels 1-3 you shouldn't run into mana problems. Kayle DOES run into mana problems, and Crucible helps supplement your kit very nicely. Very few supports would I rush a Crucible on, but with Kayle I really feel it's a viable option. Her heals not only are mana effecient, they have a HUGE range and they speed the target up. This helps ganks and escapes. Also, she has a slow to assist ganks, and her ult is great for tower diving early on. I'm always surprised I don't see more Kayles supporting, because she is such a great lane bully I love it.

Thresh: I've got very limited experience with Thresh, but from what I've played of him I really like him. His hook and lantern help to set up any number of plays that would be impossible otherwise, and his ability to protect his carry and shut down the enemy carry are impressive to say the least. If he hooks an enemy ADC he can follow up with his E pulling them back again, and then throw up the Box to slow them on their way out. Usually this Q>E>R combo hitting means you've netted your carry a kill. Interestingly enough, if you carry is being chased and you hook the chaser through the wall you don't pull them over like Blitzcrank, you just cause them to bounce off the wall which I like as it doesn't put you in danger while delaying the enemy. Also, the passive damage on the Q is great for harass and couples well with pickpocket. I've had fun with Thresh thus far.

Nami: I hate supporting as Nami for a couple of reasons I'll detail here. I was excited at first when I saw her kit, however, after playing some games with her I feel that if I wanted a champion to engage/initiate with I would take Taric/Leona. Her Q is really easy to dodge, and her R...it feels really weak and slow moving. If I wanted a champion with sustain that provides lane security I would still pick Taric, or maybe Janna. Her E may bring some damage/utility but ultimately it doesn't scale to well. (it has to be used within 5 seconds on the next 3 attacks, it is wasted otherwise) Oftentimes I'll E someone in Solo Que and they'll walk away from the enemy rather than harassing with it, not realizing what's going on. If the E lasted till the next 3 attacks, or if the E affected all attacks within 5 seconds (so that it scaled with attack speed like Lulu's shield) then perhaps it would be better. Right now it feels kinda meh. Her bouncing heal/damage spell seems to have such a short range that you can only get full use of it if your carry really goes all in on the opposing duo, which isn't very often. I mostly use it as a heal. Also come mid/late game I feel like I'm roaming aimlessly trying to find something to do. There are other supports that do ward clearing/placing better, and if she gets caught there's not a lot she can do.

I may have glossed over some champions that are used as supports, but this is the pool I generally pick out of. Anyone disagree, or have advice on match ups?

Vandevic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-25-2013

Some other threads revolving around supports, or folks that give good advice on the role of support:

Playing support is so rewarding - Hzah http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3043224

2100 Bottom Lane Analysis - I Love Nickwu http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2977011

Pawnce! World's First Daily High Elo Japanese Martial Artist Chef Archaeolgist Stream - Pawnce http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1889530

I'll add more in a bit.

canister shell

01-25-2013

Honestly i like to main support now because it is still such an easy lane to snow ball in your favor. Personally i love taric and have just recently earned the right to play battlestone taric (good story btw). That being said i just feel the strongest supports are taric and leona they just make laneing hell for the other team and Leona can single handy help win late game if you have a horrible adc. This due to the face that you have so much cc. As for match ups i still havent found a good one vs sivir, soraka they just stay in lane so long. Best i can say is if they are gonna play passive pick nunu your adc will be stronger then their's with a heal lane. If their gonna play aggressive you better have a cc support to stop it.

Oh and you didn't mention support lux or morgana but honestly i don't feel their super strong.

NA Hellraiser

01-25-2013

google spellsy support list

everything you need in a one-glance graphic organizer

thank me later

Vandevic

01-25-2013

Yeah, Lux and Morgana are on the "need to learn" list along with Zyra. I just picked up Zyra, but I'm still figuring that whole process out. I like her snare, but I need to get better at figuring out how to match up against other duo pairs with her.

Yaroslavsky

01-25-2013

You're asking which roles are best for supports? ADC..?

"Taric: great laning support with heals, stuns, and high armor early game.

Janna: Janna's a risky pick in solo queue, does well with ashe/ezreal, the majority of them actually.., one of the best late game supports due to heavy CC and protection for ADCs.

Nami: Never played, but seems like other supports do her job better, and her skills have high CDR.

Alistar's fun hes mostly used for a lot of aggressive ADCs like tristana, and vayne for some defence, those two being good matchups. he was nerfed hard a while back so people dropped him, but his kit is still strong. He's naturally tanky and his ult lets him be in the center of teamfights to waste the enemy team's burst. hes also decent at tanking the turrets, or going past it with his ult if he needs to help pick up a kill for his ADC. Okay jungler, clears too slowly, requires kills not burnt flashes on enemy team.

Nunu: really good support, used best with Kog'maw for high damage, good AS boost, and fairly tanky. Lots of CC and pretty good at protecting ADC.

Soraka best with passive laners pre-6 for the high sustain, seems to fall of late game, but her silence in teamfights is useful as well as her global heal. Has no heavy CC, no escapes, but still very safe support early.

Blitzcrank probably one of the harder supports to lane against, his grab zones you out as long as he has bush dominance or near his turret to pull you in. easily OOM and his grab early game has high CDR, (16-20 sec) first few levels, he really only has his grab + knock up to setup a kill or trade.
Alistar counters well for blitz. Late game blitzcrank can easily set up a free initiation by picking out the ADC. Counter by standing behind minions and doding his grabs to get him OOM.

Vandevic

01-25-2013

I wish I could Alistar better, I've tried practicing in a few bot games (cause I'd hate to miss the combo in a normal or ranked) and I just have problems getting him down. I really should learn him cause if he's open in ranked at my ELO folks occasionally request him played.

canister shell

01-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandevic View Post
I wish I could Alistar better, I've tried practicing in a few bot games (cause I'd hate to miss the combo in a normal or ranked) and I just have problems getting him down. I really should learn him cause if he's open in ranked at my ELO folks occasionally request him played.

they best this i can say for his combo, is to W and than right after Q like while your inroute with your w is when you have to q, its really annoying and hard to pull off. If you do it to late they just get knocked away to early and well their not stunned. I haven't played him that much but that's the most i can say for his combo