@Riot (Morello and Co.)--League of Legends Biggest Flaw

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fox P McCloud

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2013

Riot Design (Morello and Co)
First off let me thank you guys for making such a fun and wonderful game that is truly a joy to play; let me make it perfectly clear that I do not have a vendetta against LoL nor am I someone who harbors any ill-will against the game. That said, something in LoL hasn't been addressed (or very little) since its inception, and it's getting to the point I'm not sure if I want to keep on playing LoL because of it.

What is it? Simple; melee carries. While this might seem like a superficial reason to quit, I find it highly frustrating that little has been done for them since LoL was released---they've remained the same binary characters they have always been since day 1—decent/good at low Elo, but not effective or competitive for moderate and especially higher levels of play. Furthermore these champions are an extremely homogenous bunch both in design and in terms of aesthetics—they're all sword users; as far as mechanics go all three have a flat AD steroid (to the tune of 35 with 2 having a way to get another 35 AD), gap closer, survivability and/or invincibility frame (even if it's very small), sustain, and an MS+AS boost (Tryn is the sole exception with crit instead of AS and an AoE slow instead of MS boost). Additionally, they all have a reset/CDR mechanic. Niches are completely absent from them.

While I can understand certain mechanics and aesthetics are intrinsic to ranged vs melee---there's been very very little done in terms of diversity for this class---let's take a look at their ranged counter-parts---both in terms of mechanics, weapon aesthetics, and niches.

Ezreal: arcane/energy based weapon---niche is long range poke, moderate DPS, and “slipperiness”
Graves: Shotgun weapon—niche is extremely high burst damage, moderate DPS, and abnormally high durability for a carry.
Ashe: Bow weapon—niche is incredibly low damage (compared to other ranged Ads), but immense utility (initiation, vision, and perma-slow+self kiting).

I could go on and evaluate each particular ADC, but they each have their own particular niche that they excel at that other ranged ADCs do not have (and it may even be a weakness). Again, niches are completely absent from melee carries here—none of them particularly excel at just one thing and all of them have extremely similar tools for their class. Aesthetically, there's more variance here, as well (though still a bit lacking, IMHO), as you can pick someone with a technological weapon, gun, or good old bow and arrow (or throwing axes too, if you prefer a more Draven style =p). I understand that the swords the three melee carries use are vastly different swords, but at the end of the say, they are still swords, where as with their ranged counterparts, you can get weapons that aren't related to each other at all.

I think what concerns me, above all though, is how Riot doesn't seem to think it's really that important to balance melee carries or create new ones; it comes off as an afterthought; something to be worked on once all the games main issues are solved. The problem I have with this is; when will that time come? Take this statement;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
No, it's a good question - I think about this a lot. I'd like them to be good because it's a new way to experience the game that might not have to be fundamentally broken. It's one of those problems that has low impact now, but would let us make the game better if we can sit down and tackle it. It's been tough to justify, to myself, prioritizing it over the other things we've been working on.
Since I started playing LoL in March of 2011 I've seen comments in this same exact line be posted by multiple Rioters---here, nearly 2 years later, this same thought process still seems to be in effect. I realize change takes times, but whenever a serious discussion crops up about melee carries, this is the basic line that's always put across to players “we want to, but it's not that important right now; maybe later”.

This shows up in your creation of melee ADCs, as well; while it's been universally recognized that the number of supports are low and Riot has deliberately made a policy of having at least two come out each year (and this isn't even counting the quasi-supports that arise such as Leona, Zyra, etc). There's been no talk about setting a goal for melee ADCs---I seem to recall Morello even stating the reason they're not being made is because of a “question of their viability in high level and tournament play” (I apologize, Morello, but I can't seem to locate this statement, at the moment; if I find it, I will source it).

I'm confident that you guys at Riot have more than enough talent, creativity, and know-how to balance and more importantly create new and exciting melee carries, but I'm not sure if you guys will do it or not.

And thus back to my first point----unfortunately, if this problem isn't addressed, I do not feel I can personally keep playing LoL with a sense of enjoyment anymore without change---it would be like in Team Fortress 2---if they released multiple class updates and changes for everyone but the spy, then turned around and nerfed the spy a few times or kept him down because he domianates low level play (he does, by the by)---players who played the spy would feel left out and would (IMO anyway) have legitimate cause to move on .Thus is my position---I'm willing to give LoL a chance here; all of Season 3 and whatever drastic changes may be in store for pre-Season 4. If no changes have happened by the end of pre-season 4, Riot decides to change all current melee carries into fighters, or it's announced that melee ADCs are too much effort for what must done to make them viable---regrettably and unfortunately, I will have to depart League of Legends.

So, I ask you Riot; what will you do for melee ADC players?

TL; DR---Melee carry viability, variability, availability, and balance has always been questionable; little has been done over the years to improve this aside from a few tweaks here and there; we've been given a few bones, but they're meager, at best, compared to what other classes have received over LoL's development; what will (if any) be done to fix this?

EnmaDaiO

01-23-2013

And yet Darius remains a huge problem in Low Elo LoL.

Fox P McCloud

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnmaDaiO View Post
And yet Darius remains a huge problem in Low Elo LoL.
I'm not sure what you mean by this; what does Darius have to do with melee AD carries?

IS14ae4209b563c5354d301

01-23-2013

If someone on the forums made any idea how to fix melee caries, they would've been fixed by now

I mean, if someone plays them much, he/she should have an idea what are they lacking

Pilige

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CingedCinged View Post
If someone on the forums made any idea how to fix melee caries, they would've been fixed by now

I mean, if someone plays them much, he/she should have an idea what are they lacking
What they lack is a reason to play them over anyone else. Yi, GP, Fiora, and Trynd should all be like ticking time bombs. Once they hit full build, they should just eat through teams, but that is a balance nightmare. The other problems include heavy CC teams, the fact that melee carries can't stick to their targets long enough to deal lethal damage, the heavy prevalence of assassins in the current meta, and the need for safe laners. Melee carries in other MOBA games suffer from extremely bad early games, but super powerful / hyper scaling late games. That is not something Riot wants to do with league. Why? Because then the game becomes hold out for 50 minutes, and then faceroll. League of Legends is designed so that tactics and teamwork are the major winning force. In reality, only Tryndamere falls into the traditional melee carry role, because once he hits full build he two-three shots most champs. Yi and Fiora would be better served if they were transformed into assassin duelists. GP would be better as a ranged carry.

Redeemed In Fire

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CingedCinged View Post

The summary of problems they have is this:
* They're too snowbally
* They aren't sticky enough
* They are too CC vulnerable
* They are too vulnerable to harass in lane

These can all be solved but only if Riot takes the time to fix them. The key points are "too vulnerable to harass in lane" and "too cc vulnerable". Solve these and you solve the melee carry problem.

KotlettDrake

01-24-2013

they need to have some sort of short tactical cc immunity tacked on to their skills

Durbling

01-24-2013

I personally would prefer that melee carries not be buffed, or rather that they should be reworked.
Don't get me wrong, I like Fiora, I just feel that the counterplay goes way down when the melee carry is buffed.
I'm prob. wrong though.