Summoner Rift - Custom Map Skins

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Warrikon

01-23-2013

I just installed it and the amount of purple is amazing <3

Masterfiends

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2013

noir rift lol

Akraizel

01-23-2013

Loving it.

Bump.

Epichuntarz

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachis View Post
I'm not sure what the legal implications are for this it should be okay.

This is a very different direction from the style of the game, I like the color scheme (reminds me of the Harrowing Map mixed with Night Elf colors) but the pixel in pixel detail is a bit harsh for my eyes. It would be neat to see the colors integrated into the map textures. The increase in contrast and saturation will need to be metered to reflect the visual important of elements on the map. The ground is one of the areas of rest in our visual space which helps champions read against it.

I'd recommend picking an area of the map (single screen shot worth) you like and painting up the textures in that region to have a higher resolution while attempting to maintain a style consistent to League. Overlaying a texture and tinting colors is a way to add artificial detail to a scene but that can be inconsistent with the underlying visual direction. Learning to place your details in the places that your eye will enjoy most while maintaining a strong visual hierarchy takes a lot of self control and I tend to reference historic painters, such as Edgar Payne, to help direct my hand.

I look forward to seeing your future mods.

peace,
Drachis
If a non-Rioter was able to create a "skin" for SR, it stands to reason that the winter map shouldn't have been as difficult to implement (after the rework) as we were lead to believe.

Dante Brimscone

01-23-2013

I installed it and messed around in a bot game. It's a really pretty and well-done skin, and installing is a breeze. Unfortunately, I found the scheme hard on my eyes.

Nice job anyways, and thanks for the work.

Vulking

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2013

Quote:

This is a very different direction from the style of the game, I like the color scheme (reminds me of the Harrowing Map mixed with Night Elf colors) but the pixel in pixel detail is a bit harsh for my eyes. It would be neat to see the colors integrated into the map textures. The increase in contrast and saturation will need to be metered to reflect the visual important of elements on the map. The ground is one of the areas of rest in our visual space which helps champions read against it.

I'd recommend picking an area of the map (single screen shot worth) you like and painting up the textures in that region to have a higher resolution while attempting to maintain a style consistent to League. Overlaying a texture and tinting colors is a way to add artificial detail to a scene but that can be inconsistent with the underlying visual direction. Learning to place your details in the places that your eye will enjoy most while maintaining a strong visual hierarchy takes a lot of self control and I tend to reference historic painters, such as Edgar Payne, to help direct my hand.

peace,
Drachis
I wish Riot could actually start making skins for SR, specially since its so troublesome for Riot to do new maps and stuff do to several issues that have been noted in the past, however I see no issues with selling SR sin just like the Champions ones, all this do is add diversity without breaking the gameplay.

dogbiter

01-23-2013

Quote:

peace,
Drachis
drachis still alive??? i remember that vid they did for your birthday i think

Drachis

Associate Technical Artist

01-23-2013
2 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epichuntarz View Post
If a non-Rioter was able to create a "skin" for SR, it stands to reason that the winter map shouldn't have been as difficult to implement (after the rework) as we were lead to believe.
We focused our efforts on the updated Twisted Treeline over a winter version of Summoner Rift, the old winter was not up to the quality of the new Twisted Treeline, so we didn't want to take a step backwards visually by releasing outdated content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbiter View Post
drachis still alive??? i remember that vid they did for your birthday i think
Thanks for remembering me for that long :3 I've been floating around working, going to try and give you guys a bit more love.

TheEnygma

01-23-2013

kind of Ashenvale-ish, I like it but something about character models on the map itself looks weird

979F

01-24-2013

bump