Ruby sightstone just isn't enough...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ROOFIECOPTER

01-23-2013

Gp10s give 30 extra gold/minute.

Sightstone gives 50 extra gold/minute. (4x wards = 300 gold 4x wards using 2 at a time-max you can- lasts 6mins. 300 gold saved on wards every 6mins is 50gold/min.

Personally, I think it's stupid to not rush sightstone. The ruby upgrade can be bought later though.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2013

Even if you buy other wards occasionally, sightstone is still an excellent option, and should always be built as a support.Three isn't enough, true, but they're essentially free - all the sightstone does is fill the space your HoG would have filled before, but provides a better gold return. However, with HoG, you always needed another space for wards. With Sighstone, you can occasionally get away with the three/five wards in the stone on any given back, allowing you to fill your inventory further as you build up your items.

I've also found that my gold flow is vastly superior to season 2 - having Philo, Kage, and Sightstone is almost certainly overkill.

SeCKS Egai

01-23-2013

I do wish ruby allowed for more wards - I'd give up the hp in a heartbeat if it allowed 5 active wards at once. I like sightstone tho, since its so cost effective during the laning phase, but getting one more active ward isn't very impressive as by the time you're dropping that many, you need to be putting down more than 3 anyway

Aitheon

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSeCKSx View Post
I like sightstone tho, since its so cost effective during the laning phase
While I won't argue that sightstone can pay for itself over time. I have a hard time justifying its purchase early. 700g is a large amount to drop early game to receive no stats of any kind to help in the early stages.

Also in the laning phase I find I need more than 2 wards anyway as enemies like to hug the wall bushes in lane on top of needing to worry about bushes in river gank points.

For me, it's far more cost effective to start the match with both parts of philo stone and some wards. Then when I go back I finish philo and get wards (sometimes I even have enough for boots). And from there I always pick up a couple loose wards with every return to shop. It's not hard to find a spare 75-150g in my pocket with 2x gp10 items and gp quints.

Chopinator

01-24-2013

I usually start with 2 pcs from philo and 2 sight wards. The first back I get Philo 1 sight ward and 1 vision ward, I use vision ward to clear for ganking and sight as needed. 2nd back I get Pick and 1 sight and 1 vision. 3rd back is when I get Sightstone and vision.

Boots come later in build now. I have both MS buffs in utility tree so it allows me to wait for them.

Qsario

01-24-2013

2 Ruby SS on a team should be plenty, problem is getting anyone but supports to build it. What I do is to stock a few pinks in addition to my SS and put them in key areas (e.g. baron, dragon) or use them to counter annoying stealth champs (Eve, Talon during his ult, Akali, etc.).

It seems like they're planning on adding more HP to it, so it's only going to get better. Also note that you should feel free to move wards. Say you just took a tower and want to push, move your wards up further. This is another reason I prefer "real" wards on dragon/baron and on any hard-to-get spots (like one of their buffs) so that I can move the sightstone wards to wherever we need wards right now.

The unmatched mobility of your wards is one of the things that makes sightstone awesome, because your wards can roam with you and you can ward up during teamfights, even getting places like that tiny bush by baron when you need to prepare for a fight there.

alaskaneagle

01-25-2013

I never get the sightstone till I can either buy the ruby outright or have pretty much all the items I want and 3 wards and 300 health is better than wards and no health.

It costs to much to get early while only letting you have 2 wards on the ground (when I can get a pink for 150 and get my lane preped for a gank)

I see the reasoning behind it since they put a time limit on oricle, but I really don't see it as useful when you can only have 2 wards on the ground and a well placed pink ward leaves you with a gap in your vision. Guess what, a pink ward takes up the same space in your inventory as a regular ward, but the pink ward to clear the pink ward means you have a stone and a pink. If you've got a gp5 and boots you have even less space. Are you going without potions or an item to clear that pink ward?

Qsario

01-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaneagle View Post
The reasoning behind it since they put a time limit on oricle, but I really don't see it as useful when you can only have 2 wards on the ground and a well placed pink ward leaves you with a gap in your vision. Guess what, a pink ward takes up the same space in your inventory as a regular ward, but the pink ward to clear the pink ward means you have a stone and a pink. If you've got a gp5 and boots you have even less space. Are you going without potions or an item to clear that pink ward?
Potions? Don't use those any more after starting flask. Sell it whenever I run out of item slots, though, but I'll have tons of regen by the time I sell it thanks to Miracle. Pinks are replaced by oracle late game, when you have only ruby SS to rely upon. Hope you can convince your jungler to buy a second SS, because that's one time when 3 wards just isn't enough any more. 6, however, is generally plenty, given that you can let the wards roam. Though keeping dragon/baron warded is a bit tough when you have only SS to rely on, you should have the timers down by then, hopefully. Most games just don't go that long, though.

You won't run out of space that quickly if you're finishing items rather than buying lots of little pieces, though. And if your teamcomp allows you to justify building Shard of True Ice, you will have a GP10 you don't have to give up. Though I've actually been so fed that I could give it up and just rely upon Shureliya because our initiators had what they needed and I think I built something insane like a deathcap due to having way too much leftover gold (yes, we were _that_ fed.... I think I was closing in on 20k total gold).

Hairyhulk

01-25-2013

If you do the math like some here have provided it actually works out that Sightstone is the most cost-effective item in the game for a support. Numbers trump opinions and while I'm not in love with the SS I do think it has a purpose and if you coordinate with your jungler, you can each build ruby SS which can free you up to buy pinks, oracles, or Zeke's.

TheGrayBuffoon

01-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairyhulk View Post
If you do the math like some here have provided it actually works out that Sightstone is the most cost-effective item in the game for a support. Numbers trump opinions and while I'm not in love with the SS I do think it has a purpose and if you coordinate with your jungler, you can each build ruby SS which can free you up to buy pinks, oracles, or Zeke's.
Except now they are raising the cost as per PBE.

Ruby Sightstone

Total cost increased to 1550 from 1330

Health increased to 360 from 300

Sightstone

Total cost increased to 950 from 700

Now builds out of Ruby Crystal + 475 gold

Health increased to 180 from 100.