League of Legends on Mac In PBE Testing Now!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

VoltNinjA

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2013

make it available for iphone too : D

Grognak The Barb

01-23-2013

lololol someone necrod this thread

oh wait this is an actual relevant thread?

FOODFOOD

01-23-2013

Viz, I would love you forever if you could get this on Linux. I've been using Ubuntu for forever, but it's been really tedious having to reboot to Windows just to play LoL. I'd love to ditch Windows entirely for Ubuntu, but I play way too much LoL!

Viz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Associate Software Engineer

01-23-2013
24 of 100 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grognak The Barb View Post
lololol someone necrod this thread

oh wait this is an actual relevant thread?
This is an actual, relevant thread. Udyr posted it today. We really are releasing a Mac client again.

Macrofarad

01-23-2013

Emailed it to my mac friend it made his day c:

Now all that's left is a Linux client and Riot would be my favorite company ever ^^

Viz

01-23-2013
25 of 100 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOODFOOD View Post
Viz, I would love you forever if you could get this on Linux. I've been using Ubuntu for forever, but it's been really tedious having to reboot to Windows just to play LoL. I'd love to ditch Windows entirely for Ubuntu, but I play way too much LoL!
Well, now you can reboot into OSX. Problem solved. You're welcome.

Speaking personally, I would love to have the game playable on Linux as well.

Sporq

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotBrentmeister View Post
It's a decent way to start. We went through several strategies when tackling the port. There are several places throughout the code which use Windows API calls; these obviously had to be reworked and coded to the Mac as well. Sometimes this is as simple as making the equivalent Mac API call but sometimes there isn't one.

Additionally compilers can generate different sets of instructions based on the same line(s) of C++ code. Finding and resolving these bugs can be very very difficult in many cases.
On my freshmen year game project, we attempted to make our game cross-platform with linux, as that was the OS of choice for a couple of the team members. I don't remember a lot of what we tried, but I do remember a lot of preprocessor blocks that, based on which compiler we were using at the time (g++ vs VS), loaded different headers and libraries.

Is this sort of the same device used in the Mac port, or do you have infinitely better ways of doing thing?

Velvet Blanc

01-23-2013

What versions of OSX is this compatible with?

Zerglinator

01-23-2013

Will Mundo work on this new client?

I've heard that an Apple a day keeps the Doctor away.

Viz

01-23-2013
26 of 100 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporq View Post
On my freshmen year game project, we attempted to make our game cross-platform with linux, as that was the OS of choice for a couple of the team members. I don't remember a lot of what we tried, but I do remember a lot of preprocessor blocks that, based on which compiler we were using at the time (g++ vs VS), loaded different headers and libraries.

Is this sort of the same device used in the Mac port, or do you have infinitely better ways of doing thing?
For C++ (which is what the game is primarily written in), that's a necessary part of going cross platform. Another big part is wrapper headers that provide declarations that are common to all platforms, and definitions in platform specific files.