Matchmaking Changes [1-16-2013]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kuroishlence12

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2013

30 secs on queue, got paired with players from 175 wins to 1040 aproximately, i have 740, this "new system" is not working

Ziramond

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroishlence12 View Post
30 secs on queue, got paired with players from 175 wins to 1040 aproximately, i have 740, this "new system" is not working
or has been turned off?

Maestro Hulk

01-22-2013

with this new patch i have lost 80 elo getting the worst of the worst team mates, why ? Cause i got a smurf account , and i only got 190 wins in normal and have not played anything else, now i am match made with people that are not smurfs and i lose all games so hard its not even funny anymore , nice match making program from someone who does not even understand the game , noré plays it . Us smurfs are totally doomed ... and fun part is I cannot go on my main cause ITS PERMA BANNED .

Solaris17

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
In the latest game update, we rolled out a second beta test of a new matchmaking change that is live in all territories. This change will increase your average queue time by about 30 seconds, but we hope the benefits are worthwhile.

--

The matchmaker will now take into account the Number of Wins a player has in every matchmade queue (Normal SR, Normal TT, Ranked Solo/Duo, etc).

This means that for the first few minutes, the matchmaker will attempt to find teammates and opponents that have a relatively similar Number of Wins as you in addition to trying to find teammates and opponents that also have a similar skill rating. However, this does not mean it's impossible to get matched into a game with a large difference in Number of Wins--it's just more rare.

We need your help! Please give us feedback on the changes.

PS - RiotKiddington was the dev that did most of the work.
i think it is working out well. my games over the last several games have pitted me against people that were EASILY on the teams skill level. 7/10 games were a base race with lanes mroe or less holding their own. wasnt easy for us but we werent slaughtered either.

Nicodemous

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCode View Post
Then you missed the point entirely :|

The point was that before matchmaking was changed, I would never, ever get that kind of players (ok to be realistic, I'd very rarely get those kind of players), champ select would go by with noone talking, no hiccups no squabbles.

Or it'd be something like this:

-Join champ select
"mid if possible"
someone else says "mid", I ask:
"mind if I mid?"

if Yes
Thanks

if No
Alright i'll fill in

I've won enough games to escape the kind of players that behave like the ones in my screenshot (or at least it was way way way more rare), so to get paired with people that quite frankly make me want to uninstall, try to understand my frustration, its dodge or lose the game, I think I've lost like 6 in a row today maybe more, there really is nothing you can do with these people, and when you do let them have it their way, they end up feeding/doing really bad. Try to put yourself in my shoes. This is very frustrating.
go cry somewhere else, we don't care about you being a jerk and not getting away with it... and we don't care about your yoloqueue problems beyond time to get into game and the balance of said game. You call mid every game from what you showed and are a jackpie to anyone that dares suggest you give it up to them...

MatuMatuMatu

01-22-2013

i raised more than 250 elo since the change, getting out of the bottom, TY Riot.

Purgation

01-22-2013

I don't think wait times have been bad at all, and matchmaking *does* seem to be working better.

Right now at my elo (~1000) the biggest problem by far is afks.

Specifically, 6 out of my last 20 ranked games had an afk on one team or the other.... that's a huge issue with quality of matches and I believes contributes significantly to toxic frustration, the pain of elo hell, etc.

Everyone will have afks now and then, sometimes through no fault of their own, but I feel that this is an area that could really use some more focus right now.

The Black Kníght

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
'Experience' doesn't necessarily mean mechanical skill.

A low-win player that has 1500 Elo isn't playing weaker players, they are playing players who have less Champions/Runes.
I started playing ranked yesterday, and today got matched with someone with only 205 wins in normal, 0 wins/5 lost games in ranked, played only 1 champ and 2 games in season 2, only 1 rune page and probably just few champions, how can I get match with him? (want to know his nick?). Not that I have a lot champs and a lot of wins like many others old players, but it isn't fair because that player probably have fewer champs and cant fill all the roles, he probably bought the cheap champions that he will never use to play ranked and play only what he wants and rush the chat to say "top". I had to dodge that game, and after an hour I search for that player again and guess what, he picked the same champion and lost his game.

I have to search for every player in my team to see how old and experienced he is, and most of the people I match have their match history full of loss and a record like the first I mentioned.

edit(nvm the skill rating question), still i should have more than him

JarlaxelBaenre

01-22-2013

good job Riot. Way to keep working on the game and improvements to help the player experience. +1

molla18jogga

01-22-2013

One thing I realize with this new matchmaking system is that it may be bad for the new players to ranked.. if they have only a couple games played, then they will be matched up with other players who have only played a couple games..
HOWEVER, this is a far better system because if these players continue to play, they will begin to be matched with more and more experienced players.. (gradually escaping elo hell) in a way, this would actually discourage smurfing because you would be better off having a lot of games under your belt to avoid feeders and trolls..
in conclusion, this new mm system may be disadvantageous for the players that have only played a few ranked games, but it definitely rewards people who have played a lot of games (and have been living in elo hell for a long time) and helps those players escape elo hell..
i've played around 350 Solo queue games this season and have been struggling to get out of elo hell ( i started off around 800 because of early trolls, and am around 1000~1200 now).. since the mm system has been changed, i have noticed that the games are of a much higher quality.. for the people who are saying that the mm system has made the games worse, i would be curious as to see how many of those people actually have played 200 plus games, and if they have not played a lot of games, i would suggest that they play more to increase the quality of the people in the game..