How should Garen be nerfed?

Nerf his HP per level 8 17.02%
Nerf his Health Regen base and per level 7 14.89%
Nerf his passive to set amounts per level 3 6.38%
DON'T TOUCH MY GAREN! 29 61.70%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Garen Nerf Needed

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Oceanian

01-21-2013

I asked many communities what they thought of Garen and every single one of them said that he is currently unbalanced.

Some points for Garen is he is able to silence for a large amount of time and then harass without any consequences since he can sit in a bush and heal himself up. Even when you're harassing to stop his passive it won't make a difference unless you're an AP caster.

The main nerfs he need is on either on his passive OR his health per level. Maybe for his passive make a certain amount of HP regen for his passive per level instead of scaling with his health?

Here are some main nerfs that should be considered:

• Nerf his base health regen, its 7.5 and he already has his passive.
  • Nerf his passive so it is a set amount instead of scaling with his HP
  • Nerf his health per level

I've not suggested this just because Garen is a lane nightmare of mine, but this survey was asked to players ranging from 1200-2k ELO.

Garens' stats currently:
Quote:
Damage 52 (+3.5 / per level)
Health 455 (+96 / per level)
Mana 0 (+0 / per level)
Move Speed 345
Armor 19 (+2.7 / per level)
Spell Block 30 (+1.25 / per level)
Health Regen 7.45 (+0.75 / per level) + his passive
Mana Regen 0 (+0 / per level)
Take into consideration:
Perseverance - If Garen has not been struck by damage or enemy abilities for the last 10 seconds, Garen regenerates 0.5% of his maximum Health each second. Minion damage does not stop Perserverance.

Other champions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorick
Damage 51.7 (+3.5 / per level)
Health 421 (+85 / per level)
Mana 235 (+35 / per level)
Move Speed 345
Armor 15 (+3.6 / per level)
Health Regen 7 (+0.7 / per level)
Mana Regen 6 (+0.45 / per level)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf
Damage 54.1 (+3.5 / per level)
Health 441 (+93 / per level)
Mana 225 (+45 / per level)
Move Speed 350
Armor 17 (+3 / per level)
Health Regen 7 (+0.9 / per level)
Mana Regen 6.5 (+0.575 / per level)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelia
Damage 56 (+3.3 / per level)
Health 456 (+90 / per level)
Mana 230 (+35 / per level)
Move Speed 345
Armor 15 (+3.75 / per level)
Health Regen 7.5 (+0.65 / per level)
Mana Regen 7 (+0.65 / per level)
I don't know if the community itself will agree with me, but honestly if multiple communities have something to say about Garen it's Nerf.

Hidden Dragon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-21-2013

Garen is unbalanced. He's pretty underpowered in fact.

He suffers the same issue as Udyr - lack of mobility. He has no reliable gap closer and his CC clear is tied to his speed boost, making kiting him extremely easy. It is why Garen sees almost no competitive play. In addtion, he has absolutely no tools to deal with a ranged opponent in lane, making very easy to shut down.

Just as an example of this, Garen has never seen any competitive play since his rework.

Arcane Ezreal

01-21-2013

People who have a move like Panth's E with black cleaver takes garen out in no time.

HenryKrinkle

01-21-2013

People who complain about Garen don't know how to play against him.

I mostly play Garen and can EASILY tell if my opponent in the lane knows what the heck is doing.

1. If you are not Ranged, you DO NOT attack me. I will kill you most likely. However, there are smart melee champs that, if played correctly, can deal with Garen early.
2. Smart Garens place wards, so you cant gank me. We will catch you hiding and kill
3. In my opinion, Garen cannot be built to be tanky. He must equip damage and critical chance to have ANY hope of killing anything late game. Therefore, know that Garens will focus your support as we cannot kill ADC
4. A tanky Garen is just a useless spot in the team. Don't focus him and dont try to kill him. He can't kill you.
5. if you are low HP and silly enough to hang around any Garen, you deserve to die.

Know how to treat Garens. They are far from needing any sort of nerf. In fact, because their role is very limited and specific, they are not used much in tournaments and not banned much, as someone pointed out above. I also don't think they need a buff - they have a specific role and they do fine with it. If the opposition is bad enough to fall victim to garen in a lane several times early on, they are at a great disadvantage not because "garen op", but because the garen did his job, and you failed to do yours. They have their specific role: Kill early games people who are foolish enough to fight. And poke late game + try to assist others killing a champ.

Jamaree

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-21-2013

Asked the community my ass.

Dondarrion

01-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaree View Post
Asked the community my ass.
Lol, maybe he did ask them if he was unbalanced but didn't specify whether they meant overpowered or underpowered.

SeiYouSiLa

01-21-2013

lol Garen doesn't need any nerfs, just imagine how you would build him

build damage - not tanky enough and die easily
build tanky - can't even kill minions

Inochiii

01-21-2013

It all made sense after I read your name. You know Garen is a hard counter to Riven, right? Anyways, I agree 100% with what Hidden Dragon said.

Peligrad

01-21-2013

Gayrun has a lot of counters.

I don't think he got played at all in the tourny last weekend...

That speaks magnitudes within it self.

Chaz5

01-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidden Dragon View Post
Garen is unbalanced. He's pretty underpowered in fact.

He suffers the same issue as Udyr - lack of mobility. He has no reliable gap closer and his CC clear is tied to his speed boost, making kiting him extremely easy. It is why Garen sees almost no competitive play. In addtion, he has absolutely no tools to deal with a ranged opponent in lane, making very easy to shut down.

Just as an example of this, Garen has never seen any competitive play since his rework.
I completely agree. Garen is a low elo stomper to be sure, but when you realize his gap closer is also his escape, and he can easily be slowed by running through a minion wave during judgement (as this now slows him) you can easily kite him around.

Garen is great in the situation where is can ambush the opponent, but the fact of the matter is you can easily avoid him by simply warding or straying away from bushes in lane. He can't hide in the bush forever if he wants gold after all.

Also the main complaint I see from the OP is that his health regen is simply too high, this is of course false. Anyone who knows their salt about league champions would know Garen is about average for an AD bruiser, and nerfing his base regen or passive to be equal to that of others would, very simply, make it as if he had no passive at all.

Garen is not overpowered, and sees almost no competitive play whatsoever, as such I see no reason why he should be nerfed in any manner as this would only make him weaker than any other top laner.

Also as a note to the op: When trying to state that you have interviewed people in this regard as a fact, cite you damn sources and put links. Otherwise anyone can say anything about anything and try to pass it off as true. President Obama told me that one himself in a forum reply that I feel no need to source. (see what I did there?)