Matchmaking Changes [1-16-2013]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Guardman

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunk Lord View Post
Like he said, there were some issues with the queue system after the patch. Meaning it was a bug, and you shouldn't be seeing it again.
I am still being stuck in queue just last night for almost a minute and a half last night, which before this change I was usually in queue for around 20-25 seconds before the change. So unless their is still a problem it represents a 300% increase in queue time.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

01-19-2013
19 of 46 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketball95 View Post
im not mad at all but if the Elo system is meant to rate players according to skill and players with higher Elo win more shouldnt they be at a higher Elo? I mean I think it shouldnt matter how many wins you have because skill should be what determines your rating IMO. If anyone has a rebuttle Id love to hear it.
The new matchmaking feature does not only use Number of Wins to match players. Number of Wins is now just another parameter (among the many!) that the matchmaker will consider.

When we initially considered this feature, we also believed that skill ratings like Elo were accurate enough that we didn't need Number of Wins as an additional parameter; after all, players typically reach their true skill rating brackets within 150 games. However, when we dove into the research we found some surprising results. For example, some players choose to level up through Co-op vs AI games. Once they hit Level 30, they jump into Normals and get absolutely crushed by players who played Normals to hit Level 30. Because matchmaking now takes into account Number of Wins, these Co-op vs AI players will no longer start their journey into Normals against players with over 1000+ wins in Normals already.

We also found that Number of Wins does make a difference in Ranked Mode--especially at the lower wins bracket. Assuming equal Elos, there might not be a difference between players with 1000 Ranked Wins versus 1200 Ranked Wins, but we definitely saw some lopsided games with players with 1 Ranked Win versus 100 Ranked Wins.

When it comes to matchmaking, there are many dimensions that reflect a player's skill in League of Legends. We could argue that Elo represents the 'mechanical skill' of a player; for example, if a 1400 Elo player faced off against a 1500 Elo player with the exact same runes, masteries and champions, the 1500 Elo player should win a majority of the match-ups.

However, this doesn't necessarily capture the 'experience' of a player. In League of Legends, more experienced players tend to have better rune selections and a larger champion stable for complex counterplay. We find that adding Number of Wins to the matchmaker does a decent job of accounting for 'experience,' so we're testing this feature to determine if the increased queue times are worth the potential accuracy improvements in the matchmaker.

This is the kind of feature that may not actually improve the matchmaker for other games, but in League of Legends where players can build out their collection of runes and champions... it just might work.

Fat of the Land

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
The matchmaking system still prioritizes skill ratings. It's not just using Number of Wins.
Except by adding another factor unrelated to skill, ELO is now less accurate in predicting a players skill rating than it was before.

A low-win player could have the same rating as a high-win player (for example: 1500), but the low-win player will have earned that against less experienced (weaker) players on average therefore that players 1500 rating comes with a giant asterisk. Yet the system says they are the same ELO.

Are you really OK with this?

dyfrgi

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladar7 View Post
Basically this change encourages people to make smurfs. Smurfs and new player will be matched together.
I was thinking the opposite. Smurfs tend to have higher Elo / games played than new players, so they'd take a long time to find a match. If the increase is 30 seconds on average, it must be significantly higher for outliers, like a smurf with, say, ranked Elo of 1800 with 40 games played, which is definitely an outlier in Elo / games played.

Grimlockkickbutt

01-19-2013

Fan of this

NightFire666

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask Tyrant Swain View Post
Constructive Feedback: I love you.

^

Says everything. Makes games more fair. Might be able to say GG now.

Valahiru

01-19-2013

Lyte,

Thank you for the information. I really appreciate how Riot as a whole shares information with the players.

I've been playing for about 3 years (on and off) and I have slightly over 250 wins in SR. Lately (before the patch) I've been getting stomped over and over again--to the point that I'm reluctant to queue anything other than co-op. Will this change help even out the matches I'm put in and make the game easier to enjoy?

Thanks for your work.

bagmangood

01-19-2013

Sort of an odd side effect (not sure if its really related), but I have a relatively low number of wins compared to what i'd guess is my normal elo (modesty!). I've noticed that I've been playing with a lot more really negative people these last few days.
I realize this is league, but this is the worst its been for me since at least the summer (or 5 minutes into a game right after honor came out and someone is feeding)

Lyte

01-19-2013
20 of 46 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat of the Land View Post
Except by adding another factor unrelated to skill, ELO is now less accurate in predicting a players skill rating than it was before.

A low-win player could have the same rating as a high-win player (for example: 1500), but the low-win player will have earned that against less experienced (weaker) players on average therefore that players 1500 rating comes with a giant asterisk. Yet the system says they are the same ELO.

Are you really OK with this?
'Experience' doesn't necessarily mean mechanical skill.

A low-win player that has 1500 Elo isn't playing weaker players, they are playing players who have less Champions/Runes.

Lyte

01-19-2013
21 of 46 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunk Lord View Post
So that average queue time increase includes players with 2000+ wins, correct?

Actually, out of curiosity, are there any params in place for outliers of like 3500+ wins to combat excessive times for higher numbers? Like, does the matchmaker recognize the meaning behind the numbers, or just that the numbers need to match... if that makes any sense lol.
Yes, average queue time increases includes players with lots of wins. The maximum increases we should see are about 1.5 minutes.

We did have some queue issues since the latest patch, so some of the queue times you are seeing might be related to that. If you keep seeing long queues, please feel free to post a screenshot and I'll take a look at what's going on.

Let me know who you are queued with, and perhaps post a screenshot of the queue timer.