Matchmaking Changes [1-16-2013]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TimofeyMozgov

01-19-2013

Took long enough. It's annoying being at 1300-1400 ELO and then queuing with players with 100 normal wins without a single full tier 3 rune page. Riot should raise the requirements to play in ranked. 500 normal wins minimum and at least 5 full rune pages and at least 30 champs.

ORANGEMAU5

01-19-2013

Please read this!!!!!

I have already submitted a support ticket a long time ago and since then, no one from Riot has given me an answer. If I remember correctly, when Jayce's patch arrived, the League of Legends server went crazy and a whole bunch of problems happened. My friends saw their champions deleted from their list and they reappeared after a while. Me on the other hand, all my WINS that I had at that point were deleted. I had around 280 wins and I still haven't got them back. If the new matchmaking system is matching people by their number of wins, it won't take into consideration the 280 wins I lost. When I sent my support ticket, it was 1 day after the bug occurred. I had 2 to 4 wins even though I was level 30 and i had 5 wins in my match history. I do not have a screenshot of the incident but please look at my ticket.

Thank You
-ORANGEMAU5

Tunoko

01-19-2013

wow, no wonder its been so damn easy at my elo, lol

its all people like me who came back recently to ranked again

Tunoko

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimofeyMozgov View Post
Took long enough. It's annoying being at 1300-1400 ELO and then queuing with players with 100 normal wins without a single full tier 3 rune page. Riot should raise the requirements to play in ranked. 500 normal wins minimum and at least 5 full rune pages and at least 30 champs.
Absurd. ive seen people play at high silver level [~1450] after ~300 normal wins, and 5 rune pages? get out of here. i have 14 but i was 1500 when i only had 3

TimofeyMozgov

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crs toastWaffle View Post
Absurd. ive seen people play at high silver level [~1450] after ~300 normal wins, and 5 rune pages? get out of here. i have 14 but i was 1500 when i only had 3
I saw someone fight off an armed robber one time and survived. LET'S GET RID OF COPS!

Tunoko

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimofeyMozgov View Post
I saw someone fight off an armed robber one time and survived. LET'S GET RID OF COPS!
fact is, a lot of people are well above the 'average' level of 1200 long before 500 wins. and rune pages are basically unobtainable without RP, so...'

unless you seriously mean to tell me that as a 300-400 wins summoner thats been playing for a few months and doesnt own much you'd spend 6300 ip on a rune page when there's still a plethora of locked, shiny and alluring champions as well as runes to unlock

game is still 'free2play' i'd like to keep it that way tbh

TimofeyMozgov

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crs toastWaffle View Post
fact is, a lot of people are well above the 'average' level of 1200 long before 500 wins. and rune pages are basically unobtainable without RP, so...'

unless you seriously mean to tell me that as a 300-400 wins summoner thats been playing for a few months and doesnt own much you'd spend 6300 ip on a rune page when there's still a plethora of locked, shiny and alluring champions as well as runes to unlock

game is still 'free2play' i'd like to keep it that way tbh
Play normals. Get IP. Buy rune pages.

Amelie

01-19-2013

I was duo queuing normal games with a friend on the EU server. We are around level 15 there, but we have gotten matched with a level 30 who was queuing with two level 8 friends. Our team was all under level 20 with around 50 wins.

The level 30 had over 1000 wins. The match was completely lopsided and unfair. Will this patch improve situations like that, or is it still a problem with pre-mades?

Kenzo84

01-19-2013

Meanwhile. The AFK in champ select STILL get a random champion and get put into the game.
Meanwhile. Duo Q in ranked still exist.

Syrusa

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillmaster19 View Post
These 15-20 minute Dominion queues are no fun

It might work in more popular queues like summoners rift, but it needs to be dynamically adjusted based on queue popularity at the time, so that there aren't super long queues at off times, or in unpopular queues like dominion draft.

I don't mind waiting slightly longer for a SR game to get a much more evenly matched game, but when the queues get excessive it really isn't worth it IMO.

also, this seems a bit risky to put into ranked. If you're in a way seperating new ranked players and experienced ones, depending on how strict the win based matchmaking is it may be frustrating. New players will have easier matchups, and possibly even fly up hundreds of elo since they are against other new ones. Then when they have a lot of wins and match up with more experienced players, they will drop and do poorly because they got a high rating due to easy opponents.
This might potentially mess up the accuracy of elo rating, as it would be much easier to reach say 1500 on a new smurf, than on an account with 200+ ranked wins.

Quoting response for convinience, good to hear.

As a programmer I have to say it wouldn't be too difficult to adjust how strict the win based matchmaking is based on the current popularity of the queue automatically. Every 30 minutes or so check how many players at each win level queued, then based on those results adjust how close the system attempts to matchmake them. If it's at a super low level(like dominion draft), just disable it completely.

Dominion blind is fine. But dominion draft... yeah 15-20 minutes! Keep it for blind but take it out for draft.