Matchmaking Changes [1-16-2013]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Servaetes

01-18-2013

So as it currently stands, it goes by number of wins? My friends and I queue as 5 for normal draft games and the queues end up being hysterically long times (anywhere between 10-20 minutes). We probably all have high normal ELO ratings is my guess, because we're all at least 300-400 games up over our losses.

Does playing at certain periods of the evening also have a negative impact on time, or is it just our higher ratings and queuing as a premade? Our opponents are sometimes a full 5, or random groups of people but they have a typical 1-4 minute wait time compared to ourselves.

MissedMaiUlti

01-18-2013

One thing about matchmaking that would probably make queue times longer but more beneficial is to have a checklist of the roles you'd want to play instead of having to rely on the picks on ranked or the calling system. It would reduce the amount of rage people put in if a system where it allows you to choose what role you'd prefer/want to play and people that would main let's say top lane wouldn't have to be a support and be raged at for not knowing how to support. Just my 2 cents in the pot.
PS: I do agree everyone should learn how to play every role, but it's more beneficial for a top main to play top instead of a less preferred role.

TiberiusAudley

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
In the latest game update, we rolled out a second beta test of a new matchmaking change that is live in all territories. This change will increase your average queue time by about 30 seconds, but we hope the benefits are worthwhile.

--

The matchmaker will now take into account the Number of Wins a player has in every matchmade queue (Normal SR, Normal TT, Ranked Solo/Duo, etc).

This means that for the first few minutes, the matchmaker will attempt to find teammates and opponents that have a relatively similar Number of Wins as you in addition to trying to find teammates and opponents that also have a similar skill rating. However, this does not mean it's impossible to get matched into a game with a large difference in Number of Wins--it's just more rare.

We need your help! Please give us feedback on the changes.

PS - RiotKiddington was the dev that did most of the work.

I seem to recall suggesting something along these lines all the way back in beta, but using "Games Played" rather than "Wins" -- even a loss can be a learning experience...

A player who has played 100 games and only won 40 is still generally going to know more about the game than a player who has played 10 games and won 8 (with the exception of smurf detection going off).

I'm glad this change has finally made its way into the game, even if I think it's not quite the ideal way of handling it. Every game played is a learning experience, and those opportunities to learn should weigh in on matchmaking algorithms and expectations on winning.

I mean, there's a much greater chance you'll run into something you don't know how to counter if you have less experience in the game, and your chances of winning in that case drop dramatically.

Zealeth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2013

Mr. Lyte sir,

Since this patch, a my friend and I have been experiencing ridiculously long queue times (3+ minutes per game). We play Normal Draft, and have never experienced queue times this long. Recently we've had queue's hit upwards of 20 minutes. This change has made it so much more time consuming to get into a game, and it's really becoming a nuisance. Are there any plans to bring down this extra queue time? It's getting a tad ridiculous.

Venova

01-18-2013

maybe it's just me but I've noticed some really bad matchups the last couple of days since the last update, I went from 6-7/10 wins to 1/10 wins, directly after the update. Maybe I'm being matched up with higher skill.. but it doesn't seem that way, not with how some of my teams have been playing / trolling etc. I'm sure it's probably just a normal losing streak (which we all have from time to time i'm sure, this will be my 3rd or 4th severe one), but the timing makes me wonder a bit. I have also noticed my queue times be significantly longer, maybe it can't find enough people at my skill level with ~800 wins? I think maybe this needs to be tuned a bit, but maybe it's just coincidence or me.

AgentD

01-18-2013

I'm very confused... If # of wins is a factor in determining victory, shouldn't the players with higher wins already have this factored in to their matchmaking via their ratings? Seems like it is double-dipping on experience.

RiotKiddington

Platform Engineer

01-18-2013
10 of 46 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Decay View Post
Mr. Lyte sir,

Since this patch, a my friend and I have been experiencing ridiculously long queue times (3+ minutes per game). We play Normal Draft, and have never experienced queue times this long. Recently we've had queue's hit upwards of 20 minutes. This change has made it so much more time consuming to get into a game, and it's really becoming a nuisance. Are there any plans to bring down this extra queue time? It's getting a tad ridiculous.
This should not be related to matchmaking changes of this change. It was the server instability after patch that caused the issue you experienced. Sorry for your inconvenience.

RiotKiddington

Platform Engineer

01-18-2013
11 of 46 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladar7 View Post
Basically this change encourages people to make smurfs. Smurfs and new player will be matched together.
We will see about that. :P

Verviticus

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotKiddington View Post
This should not be related to matchmaking changes of this change. It was the server instability after patch that caused the issue you experienced. Sorry for your inconvenience.
My group of five (out of a pool of about ten) has been experiencing 10-20 minute queues for the past 3-4 weeks. Is this the same issue?

It's been really, really painful to win a game in less time than the queue + draft.

Mirodir

01-18-2013

My friend and I (both playing since closed beta) just played a 3on3 with a lvl 10 friend of him.

Since him and I didn't play a lot of 3on3 (around 10 wins each) and his friend never played 3on3 at all we were able to completely faceroll the enemy team; ending it 3/2x with no turrets lost. We ever only died because we made a competition out of it on who can make the most cocky play and get away with it.

If you wanna look at the game, it's my last played Xerath-game (and the first 3on3 in a few days).