Smite needs to be changed

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MajorUrsa

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikruti View Post
Ouch, that Magnetism spells sounds terrifying. First, of course as you mentioned was your own team trolling. But second, there are already some champs who are almost impossible to get away from, that would definitely make it impossible.

On the other hand, I loathe champs who have get out of jail free cards. So...hmm....

Nope, still think it would just go poorly.
Mobility Champions are a big issue! We lack a lot of the mobility items for most common builds on Dominion. Adding in a spell like this gives you an interesting way to interact with that obnoxious Nidalee, while still allowing the opponent room for counterplay since they still have their full damage potential at their disposal. The range could even be a little farther! To catch sneaky Kassadins with excellent reflexes!

The spell wouldnt work like flash, it would be more like a Blitz pull, and you would be pulled to where the ability was used, to prevent abuse from Magnetism/Flash. Now in this example, Nidalee attempts to escape, and uses her pounce, hits a brush but you land Magnetism at 650 range, pulling her back at you. But because you lined up directly with her to pull her to you, she fires off a fast Q and hits you in the face into her cat form and executes you.

So the spell would have fantastic uses, but also has some serious risk involved!

Ikruti

01-18-2013

I understand but think about how Blitzcrank changes the entire dynamic of a game. Now imagine a Blitzcrank that can not miss. Now imagine an entire team of Blitzcranks that can't miss.

I agree that it would counter those troublesome champions like Nidalee, but it is quite a powerful ability you're granting. I think it would be very difficult to balance it.

Orphane

01-18-2013

How about

Gravity Well
200 second CD

Roots all enemy champs for 1.5 seconds in a 600 radius and suppresses movement abilities for 6 seconds for any enemy champions hit.

MajorUrsa

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikruti View Post
I understand but think about how Blitzcrank changes the entire dynamic of a game. Now imagine a Blitzcrank that can not miss. Now imagine an entire team of Blitzcranks that can't miss.

I agree that it would counter those troublesome champions like Nidalee, but it is quite a powerful ability you're granting. I think it would be very difficult to balance it.

I love it! hue h ehu e

MajorUrsa

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphane View Post
How about

Gravity Well
200 second CD

Roots all enemy champs for 1.5 seconds in a 600 radius and suppresses movement abilities for 6 seconds for any enemy champions hit.
Everyones Mumu!

Amumu entangles surrounding enemy units in bandages, dealing magic damage upfront and rendering them unable to attack or move for 2 seconds.

Diameter of AoE: 600

Orphane

01-18-2013

That was kind of the point, except it's just a root and does no damage, and also doesn't have a CD that can be reduced by anything but the mastery. It should probably be longer or the same as Garrison's CD, so, let's say 220 seconds.

FDru

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIX View Post
To address the actual topic, I am *very* in favor of replacing Smite with another defense/push-oriented summoner spell. The first one I'd want to try is deal X true damage to all minions in AoE and heal for 2% missing health per minion struck. Maybe even fiddle with flat damage to enemy champions (100?) or instakill on all pets.
Y U STEALZ MY IDEAS

Smite is in need of a rework in general, and the only thing I could think of that would make it useful on every map while keeping it useful for jungling is to make it an AOE and increase the cooldown.

It's now a pushing spell, a counter-pushing spell, can still be used to help junglers who struggle early and to secure objectives (jungle mobs). If Garrison got its deserved nerf Smite might even be competitive with it.

NamKim

01-18-2013

Why do people complain about Smite?

I thought Smite hard countered InFe eD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawix View Post
InFe eD is a minion that spawns sometimes on high elo games and gives a lot of gold to the enemy team.

HaIfhearted

01-18-2013

I remember once I had a game where my team took 3 smites to troll with.

The enemy team ended up having a Zyra.
She never got to have any plants ever, and everything was good.

ShawNuff

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorUrsa View Post
So how about a replacement?

"Magnetism (Summoner Spell) 180 Second CD:
Target champion is pulled to your location. Enemies are slowed by 25% and allies are healed for 120-600 depending on level. Range 700"

The idea is this is a dual purpose spell, that allows defensive and offensive uses, much like my other favorite dominion spell, garrison. Offensively it allows you to chase, or initiate on an opponent, at a reasonable range, while slowing them, but unlike exhaust, does not prevent them from dealing damage, making this a spell that is useful to tanky champions and not squishier carries. Defensively an ally gets caught out or CCd it allows you to stave off some of the damage and pull them out of the fire (Could also be used for trolling, and since you may not want it used on you, especially if youre baiting a gank or some other nonsense this part of the ability could become an issue.)
I'll take the bait.

Pros:
-Very interesting summoner

-Creates new gameplay patterns. This shouldn't be overlooked. Even just offhand, I can think of all sorts of cool things you could do with this.
Cons:

-Would very likely shutout most other summoner spells along with revive and maybe Garrison

-Essentially allows any champion to destroy a squishy target by pulling them into your team with really only self counterplay (you can counter Magnetism by your own instance of it). Carry champs already are pretty miserable with the Assassin FOTM.

-Abuse cases and mistargetting on teammates

-Movement repositioning is probably the strongest CC in the game (blitz hook, Alistar headbutt, Nautilus grab). Allowing it willy-nilly to any teamcomp will probably do one of the following
a.) Light CC teams win out because they get free CC from a summoner
b.) stunlock teams become even more difficult to deal with.
c.) Champions like Olaf and Poppy get a nice buff. They run to whoever they want, and you can't pull them off. This already happens, but imagine if there were 4 more CCs for them to dodge... it increases the value of their ultimates by quite a lot.

-Completely remove flash as an option. This assumes revive is mandatory for now. If I get one summoner spell, why do I choose one with nearly twice the cooldown and slightly over half the range? If I get gapclosed, I counterplay with my summonerflash, I get my summoner completely nullfied by this SS, and furthermore, theirs will be back up for a free use, while I wait for mine.

-Potentially reduces the readability of teamfights. Anytime an important fight happens with summoners up, the ability to tell where you are and what is happening and strategically plan accordingly will fall tremendously. This problem would diminish with increasing skill, but the barrier to entry of the mode would increase significantly as well as the "wtf why did I die" moments.

As a whole, I think this summoner idea creates more problems than it solves (and I think most people probably assumed that anyways). I really just made this post as an exercise to see what ramifications something like this would create.