Let's Talk Legendary Requirements @Hippalus @IronStylus

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

umadbro jpg

01-17-2013

@Hippalus @IronStylus

I'd really like to talk about what makes a legendary skin, and what makes a reskin, and where the line is drawn in between. I also want to make sure that no one misinterprets my tone - this is a discussion, not a rant.

I think I can speak for most when I say pulsefire really whet our appetites and showed us the true potential of what skins can be. Evolving model as you level up, new particles, theme options...just fantastic. Since then we've had eternum nocturne and battlecast cho - two great skins with new particles and voice overs, but thats where the line was drawn. We've also had a khazix and lulu skin that blurred the lines between what constitutes a reskin and what constitutes a legendary.

I spent the better part of today playing Aether Kayle on the PBE. I thought the new attack animation was great, the remodel was fantastic, and it was clear the designer had a direction he wanted to go with the particles and I think he reached it in a lot of ways. But to quote another user below me, "Seeing a Legendary Skin for the first time should pretty much be an exploration of discovery." I remember marveling throughout the period of several games of all the little details and quirks in PFE's every animation and cranny.

When I buy a legendary skin, I don't want to use it or have people look at it and go "Nice skin." I don't think I'm alone when I think the appropriate response should be "WOAH. That's unique." It should bring something specific to that hero that really helps put into visuals WHY you love this hero/the feel of the skin. For instance, Brolaf has nothing to do with being a viking - but all of his lines, the graggy ice cans on his head, the juggling graggy axes, the bloodcurdling yell of "BROMACIAAAA" - that's what captures the feeling of legendary.

This is a very specific feeling that you as a player get or a teammate/opponent get the first time they see something. For me, seeing someone with pulsefire ezreal start flying randomly really blew me away. playing support and watching/hearing all the cool sounds as he leveled up and got progressively cooler was just fantastic!

I haven't gotten that feeling with the last few legendary skins. Sure, they are awesome - but I don't go "WOAH." They feel like the natural upgrade of what original reskins were; normal akali, yellow akali, red akali, etc has now become zed/shockblade zed. At no increased cost to us as users! We're getting new particles and the old definition of legendary skins for 975 or less with bundles! Neon Strike Vi is the only skin in the game where you can toggle her visor on or off! That makes me say, WOAH. That makes people who see it when you do it say, "WOAH." When she recalls? The vlad in my first game when I rolled with it recalled 3 times in a row next to me and said "Damn...That's awesome."

What I'm trying to say, is thank you. Thank you for raising the standards of what makes a great optional skin, without charging us. But KEEP to that standard. I think most people would agree that the last 3 legendary skins feel no better then mecha khazix, masked shaco, dragon trainer lulu, rocketeer tristana, or pentakill olaf...When deciding on whether or not a skin can be called and charged for at the legendary tier, the designer should look at it and really ask themselves "Does this feel like a skin? Or does this feel LEGENDARY?!"

I'm sure people would be willing to wait longer for these skins, especially if you hype them in between with designer posts hinting at what makes people go "WOAH" and asking for feedback from players what makes playing this hero normally feel so great.

Anyways, like I said earlier - Thanks. Thanks for raising the bar - don't be content, and don't stop it here. Keep raising it!

EDIT: http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflege...kin_legendary/
Made a reddit thread to get this post some more visability - please throw an upvote over there if you threw one over here!

Veelivar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-17-2013

I agree.

With the standards they introduced after Pulsefire Ez, I feel that seeing a Legendary Skin for the first time should pretty much be an exploration of discovery. It should be exciting and make the viewer go "Oh, hey! Look at that. That was awesome!"

Ez's model morphing and flying had this effect, and I also found Zombie Brand to have it too. Little things like all his walks - especially his chase walk - did that for me, and made a big impact.

Edit: Hell, even Brolaf fits this, with his VO jokes and the personality he oozes.

NJ Gamer

01-17-2013

when i see pulsefire ez i think "oh good pulsefeeder ezreal"

umadbro jpg

01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veelivar View Post
I agree.

With the standards they introduced after Pulsefire Ez, I feel that seeing a Legendary Skin for the first time should pretty much be an exploration of discovery. It should be exciting and make the viewer go "Oh, hey! Look at that. That was awesome!"

Ez's model morphing and flying had this effect, and I also found Zombie Brand to have it too. Little things like all his walks - especially his chase walk - did that for me, and made a big impact.
^THIS. "Playing it for the first time should be an exploration of discovery." I remember jumping into a bot game just to test out all of the particles and playing it throughout the day constantly finding new, little quirks that impressed me. I didn't get zombie brand but now that you mention it the chase walk is definitely unique, encompassing the zombie feel and the gurgling groans he makes as he charges at you. That's a unique feature that definitely makes me go "WOAH!"

TheHawtPotato

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-17-2013

i have pulsfire. i ended up just refunding it. the skin costed way to much.

umadbro jpg

01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom1516 View Post

did you buy it when it first came out for 1820? Wouldn't you agree that at the 1820 price point it was initially offered at, it gives more value as a skin then any other skin at that price point?

HunterHagen

01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by umadbro jpg View Post
did you buy it when it first came out for 1820? Wouldn't you agree that at the 1820 price point it was initially offered at, it gives more value as a skin then any other skin at that price point?
Actually, it was less than that (1600 around).

Ev0xal Huntchez

01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom1516 View Post
1. You refunded it, so you HAD it.
2. They don't offer money refunds. What did you spend that refunded RP on?

CC Shepherd

01-17-2013

This is a concise, well-written, extensive argument with a simple point that is not only poignant but highly relateable, a rare gem on these forums. Well said, I agree entirely and support you fully. My only point to add, and it's relatively different from the point at hand, is that skin prices in general are just ludicrously high ($7.00 for a new skin, though from what I've seen many either don't realize as much or don't care).

KetiaX

01-17-2013

You know what?

Neon Strike Vi, as you said, actually made me go WOAH. When someone used the skin and teleported back to base, I went WOAH. It is awesome, and as you said, I think Neon Strike Vi deserves a legendary title. Just give her better particles and new VO, and she awesome.

But the recent legendaries were.... meh. They're all mecha-themed, and there are nothing that actually makes me go WOAH. Even Pulsefire Ezreal. When I bought Pulsefire, I actually liked how the skin evolves by level. But that's it. Pulsefire Ezreal doesn't have a lasting WOAH. I would get excited every time I see Neon Strike Vi recalls back to base, I would get excited every time I hear Brolaf scream BROMACIAAAAAAA, but Pulsefire Ezreal gets boring, up to the point where I refunded it a few months ago.

As of Pulsefire's evolution, for me part of the blame is HoN's Swiftblade Alt Avatar (the new avatar changes ingame BASED ON THE ITEM YOU BUY. If you buy boots, the avatar will wear better boots. If you buy a Frostburn, he will actually use the Frostburn instead of his usual sword). But really, the legendaries now are "meh, that looks cool" at most.