@Lyte @Riot Toxic players at all time high

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Auspexa

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsario View Post
For whatever reason, I encounter FAR more disconnects/leavers/etc. in ranked than anywhere else. Conversely, most of the ribbons (especially the exotic ribbons) are in my Coop vs. AI practice matches.

Any insight on what's up with that?
Because ranked is full of trolls.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

01-16-2013
9 of 10 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshim View Post
Oh, boy. Now don't get me wrong, I understand and appreciate nearly all of the decisions made around the Tribunal and report systems, but...Lyte, you mentioned that you wanted to revamp the reports months and months ago. I really have to wonder - how hard can this one be?

If I had to guess I'd say the difficulty lies not in simply making the changes to the available options, but
A: in the muddying effect they would have on the clarity of information extracted from reports, and
B: communicating to the playerbase the nature - and importance - of said changes.

A seems to be something that would take some careful time to address if you want to streamline and clarify the different categories. That said, is it worth keeping Unskilled Player around? That alone triggers a whole bunch of people believing it's perfectly okay to scream "omg report noob X", who if asked about it will say "then why is there an unskilled report?" And do you really lose out if those reports aren't there? Is the Unskilled Player report still sufficiently notable to the matchmaking system that it's worth the confusion?

As for B...honestly it kind of feels like B should be a bit more of a priority anyway, as it's a common complaint that there's too much false reporting flying around. Even allowing for the fact (as you've previously stated) that many people who call for reports rarely actually send them in, and even allowing for report weight being diminished, there's still the overwhelming feeling among the playerbase that the report function is heavily abused, and I feel it's the sort of thing that could use some clarification.
No one said it was hard ;p We're just working on more important things at the moment.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

01-16-2013
10 of 10 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take the Draw View Post
Unskilled is important because it's the "outlet" people use to report people who really don't deserve it. If you remove Unskilled, they would instead report for actual things like Intentional Feeding.

To be honest, Tribunal shouldn't be able to judge gameplay related behavior at all. A troll build in a 2000 Elo ranked game may just be a level 12 summoner who doesn't know any better. In fact, most Tribunal voters don't know any better themselves. Partially because the minimum requirement to vote in Tribunal is pretty lax, partially because many Tribunal voters are just straight up bad at the game or close-minded, but MOSTLY because the Tribunal does not effectively communicate the flow of the game to voters. They can't see if the guy going 0/10 is suicidng into turrets or just being camped top. They also can't tell if unusual strategies are trolling or just how that person plays. If the unusual strategy is bad, matchmaking automatically corrects that so the Tribunal shouldn't be involved at all. This should be the domain of Riot employees who can look at comprehensive player behavior.
I used to agree with this sentiment--players that don't have Unskilled Player reports would simply use one of the other reports. However, it's simply not true. Unskilled Player reports aren't used much at all, which is why I am leaning towards just removing it.

Enterti

01-16-2013

Lyte if you are still watching this thread could we get summoner levels back into the Tribunal? I think it would help particularly in the case of intentional feeding reports.

Banuvan

01-16-2013

Honestly I don't see a ton of toxicity in game. It mostly happens in the pregame chat and champ select. While I understand we can dodge the verbal abuse that happens there is ridiculous with no repercussions at all. Also, if somebody clearly trolls with their champ selection it's up to the people who aren't being toxic to lose playing time by dodging and being penalized because of it. It's a lose lose for those of us that just want to play.

Pyrite Illusion

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
I used to agree with this sentiment--players that don't have Unskilled Player reports would simply use one of the other reports. However, it's simply not true. Unskilled Player reports aren't used much at all, which is why I am leaning towards just removing it.
Sometimes I notice when I play that a player might just be in over their head its not that they arn't trying but they might for whatever reason end up in a match aginst really good opposition.
Rather than have them reported for unskilled you could maybe add a feature simular to honour or reports where after the match a players teammates could ask that this person be lowered or raised in terms of their ability and how it affects their matches. Of course this isn't a report its just a note to the matchmaking process that this person needs better/worst competition in future games.

kabaab

01-16-2013

Honestly it's not that hard to work out the issues in solo/duo ranked..

The problem is basically this around 1k elo there can be a massive miss match of player skills due to placement games this causes resentment.

Champ select is very problematic riot just need to make a clear and defining statement about pick order priority or change the system all together.

Lastly riot need to make it clear to new players to ranked that ranked game are about serious play and playing to win, it's not an appropriate environment to screw around and try new champs for the first time etc..

Ravenous Kitten

01-16-2013

Why doesn't league allow you to leave a 4v5 after the afk summoner is gone for 5 mins or longer. You typically have to be at a huge advantage to win a 4v5. I see it as a waste of time when I could be starting another proper 5v5 match.

Auspexa

Thornmaelstrom

01-16-2013

Isn't "Unskilled Player" reporting merely a curiosity for the sake of Riot statisticians to measure the perceived effectiveness of the matchmaking system? It has no effect on players, and doesn't necessarily represent a failure in matchmaking; just how the player thinks it works.
That's how I've been using it all this time; when I see 8 other players making intelligent decisions, buying good items, otherwise acknowledging the meta exists; then theres the 1 lame duck that is probably duo-queueing with a lvl30 that doesn't understand the most basic principles of the game.
On that note, its probably a good measurement of perceived duo-queuers of skilled players with their brand new friends, as that's the most likely event to cause such a ridiculous mismatch.

Considering its 'functionally' useless, I have no qualms with removing it, but as someone in a science field myself I don't know why Riot would want to deprive themselves of such easy feedback.