Skin: Firedancer Draven

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Spookypatrol

Senior Member

01-16-2013

I know what you're saying and I definitely respect that, but the supposed lack of originality doesn't prevent people from necessarily wanting the skin, including myself when I created it. In fact, if it suits the character so well people more or less anticipate seeing it, or in general like it more because its appropriate, even if its not some insane revelation. That's the way I see it, and I do strongly believe the support I've gotten for the skin supports my feelings. Sion for example received a terminator skin even though his quotes referenced Schwarzenegger. I know a few other champions have gotten skins based on certain animations, spells, pathing etc, or other easily thought up references. Once again, even if the idea is readily apparent and not necessarily "original" that doesn't mean people don't want it. I also had plenty of freedom in the design itself, where I could have easily screwed up and people would have disliked the skin despite its appropriate theme, but people likewise like the design elements I chose and general feel of the skin, not just the theme.

I used his dance as inspiration and did design research to make sure I had something solid and appropriate. My end design is still original, even if the theme is a no-brainer.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lord Gwyn

Senior Member

01-16-2013

Riot, all of my money.

MAKE THIS HAPPEN!

Edit: If you could make Firedancer Thresh as well, due to his Poi-style dance, that would be AWESOME.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kiki

Master Recruiter

01-16-2013

1300 RP Skin easily. Make this a skin and I will insta'buy!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Spookypatrol

Senior Member

01-16-2013

It's interesting how many people are unhappy about the 1350 price point. Honestly I think Riot could do a stellar job on the skin and still make it a 975, but if they did an extra spectacular job, beyond the level of standard 975 but not quite Legendary, I don't really dislike the concept of a 1350 price point. Still there are many 975 skins that are so good they may even surpass, but are at least on par with, the current 1350s.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Killi0naire

Senior Member

01-16-2013

give him actual Polynesian Tattoos instead of the random gibberish you've put on him and the skin will be perfect


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lord Gwyn

Senior Member

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killi0naire View Post
give him actual Polynesian Tattoos instead of the random gibberish you've put on him and the skin will be perfect

This is not Earth... it is Runeterra.....

Give him Bilgewater tattoos!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pldl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-16-2013

So much win.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Spookypatrol

Senior Member

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killi0naire View Post
give him actual Polynesian Tattoos instead of the random gibberish you've put on him and the skin will be perfect
Well, while it is kinda gibberish, it isn't random by any means. I did research on actual Polynesian body paint before attempting any designs, and although they aren't necessarily perfect, they were inspired by the actual body paint. The thing is the actual Polynesian body paint tends to have very thin, very bunched and complex lines that likely wouldn't look too good for a skin model, and there were some aspects, such as the "mask-like" feature I added to the skin that I added in order to suit a feature of Draven's classic skin, the dark make-up underneath his eyes that serve quite well to bring out that wild, light-eyed, crazy look of his. I figured thickening the lines while still retaining some level, although I admit minor, of inspiration directly from Polynesian body paint without just picking entirely random shapes and squiggling on the drawing repeatedly until I ended up with something was probably the better idea.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GreekAsTheGods

Senior Member

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookypatrol View Post
I know what you're saying and I definitely respect that, but the supposed lack of originality doesn't prevent people from necessarily wanting the skin, including myself when I created it. In fact, if it suits the character so well people more or less anticipate seeing it, or in general like it more because its appropriate, even if its not some insane revelation. That's the way I see it, and I do strongly believe the support I've gotten for the skin supports my feelings. Sion for example received a terminator skin even though his quotes referenced Schwarzenegger. I know a few other champions have gotten skins based on certain animations, spells, pathing etc, or other easily thought up references. Once again, even if the idea is readily apparent and not necessarily "original" that doesn't mean people don't want it. I also had plenty of freedom in the design itself, where I could have easily screwed up and people would have disliked the skin despite its appropriate theme, but people likewise like the design elements I chose and general feel of the skin, not just the theme.

I used his dance as inspiration and did design research to make sure I had something solid and appropriate. My end design is still original, even if the theme is a no-brainer.
oh the design is really nice for sure. i dated a girl who was half maori for a while and the theme definitely fits the style of the maori people, who i believe invented the whole fire dance thing...not entirely sure. during my time in NZ i saw a few firedances. just saying... i didnt like the SNSD ahri either for same reason. the dance is already reference to SNSD x_x

tl;dr skin looks nice and is artistically accurate to the culture it references.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Spookypatrol

Senior Member

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekAsTheGods View Post
oh the design is really nice for sure. i dated a girl who was half maori for a while and the theme definitely fits the style of the maori people, who i believe invented the whole fire dance thing...not entirely sure. during my time in NZ i saw a few firedances. just saying... i didnt like the SNSD ahri either for same reason. the dance is already reference to SNSD x_x

tl;dr skin looks nice and is artistically accurate to the culture it references.
I hope I didn't sound harsh, because I genuinely do believe you bring up (at least) a better point than a lot of people who have claimed to think the theme isn't a great idea. Pretty much the sum up of my argument is that it doesn't particularly matter if the idea is a no-brainer so long as people do like and want it.

Anyway, thank you, I'm glad you do believe it's accurate and looks nice regardless. As I've stated, I don't expect to win everyone over with the skin, (I never expected in a million years it would get this popular, at that.) but I do feel the necessity to explain and defend myself if I feel a respectful argument can be made.