How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DBH Reese

01-15-2013

im pretty new to this but I would also like to add that when I buy a champ, I buy them because I like what they can do. That being said, I really don't care how you make it work I just would really appreciate it if you didnt nerf champ after I buy them. It makes me and im sure many others extremely upset.

tsukiko313

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulHope View Post
this is the only thing that i personally see as the only problem...

imo i think New/Upcoming Champs should always be free the week they are released
for the simple reason of balance...

i mean think about it, lets say udyr wasn't free the week he was released that means only a few who either had extra IP and or bought him with RP would have played him, and thus

only a small portion of the community would have been able to give feed back on him...

cause i mean lets face it only reason udyr was even brought up was because he was free the week he was released and a ton of players played him and gave the feedback on him,

just my 2 cents on the subject =p
i kinda hafta agree here. i haven't been playing for very long (about a month now) so i haven't seen more than a few rotations and only 1 new champ (vi). but for what it's worth, after a couple of weeks, i decided to deviate from my usual habit of playing support characters, and (i just couldn't resist any longer (i think it was the song - good job with that)) so i unlocked vi. sight unseen so to speak. i really wish i'd held off til i had had the chance to play her, because i really kinda regret the purchase - i'm TERRIBLE with anything that isn't a support champion, so it would seem. i gave her a fair chance i spent a solid week not using anyone else, but i just couldn't get the hang of her.
i also understand that you're initiating a new pricing system for champions soon, and that the brand-new ones are going to be 7800 ip for the first week, instead of the usual 6300 - personally i think you'll have better luck with that if they are also free to play that week. otherwise, what's to keep the whole idea from backfiring? waiting a week is nothing, especially if you've never used a particular champion. BUT if you get to try them out and you like them? that's a whole 'nother story. once you've played a champ and fall in love with it, waiting becomes THAT much harder to do. but again, this is just one opinion of many.

Yogranddaddie

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsukiko313 View Post
i kinda hafta agree here. i haven't been playing for very long (about a month now) so i haven't seen more than a few rotations and only 1 new champ (vi). but for what it's worth, after a couple of weeks, i decided to deviate from my usual habit of playing support characters, and (i just couldn't resist any longer (i think it was the song - good job with that)) so i unlocked vi. sight unseen so to speak. i really wish i'd held off til i had had the chance to play her, because i really kinda regret the purchase - i'm TERRIBLE with anything that isn't a support champion, so it would seem. i gave her a fair chance i spent a solid week not using anyone else, but i just couldn't get the hang of her.
i also understand that you're initiating a new pricing system for champions soon, and that the brand-new ones are going to be 7800 ip for the first week, instead of the usual 6300 - personally i think you'll have better luck with that if they are also free to play that week. otherwise, what's to keep the whole idea from backfiring? waiting a week is nothing, especially if you've never used a particular champion. BUT if you get to try them out and you like them? that's a whole 'nother story. once you've played a champ and fall in love with it, waiting becomes THAT much harder to do. but again, this is just one opinion of many.
If a champ is free during the week it also cost 7800 everyone would just wait the week until the price drops and STILL be able to play them for free. At least this way if you wanna play it a week earlier then everyone else you have to pay 1500ip extra. The way it works now the free week would be after the price has already dropped.

Kenzo84

01-16-2013

Well i have to say thanks for the 3 last freeweeks.

4 weeks ago we had only 450 IP, 1350 IP and 4 champs that was free like 2 weeks before.
I was mad and insulted and i spammed GD about it raising my fist to the sky ready to start a war.

Now i apologize to you.You did a very good job with the last 3 freeweeks they were really interesting and we had way much better choices.

You heard us and made sure we were satisfied.

Ty Riot. Good job guys.

Pie Kills

01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonilic View Post
Lee Sin on next week's please? I really want to try him out before using 4800 IP to buy him.
You missed it. Was about a week ago or 2

CateredMoth4

01-17-2013

Lol lets have a complete ninja-assassin free week :P

ShadowKoala

01-21-2013

Dude! Olaf should be free

Eloquid

01-21-2013

How about free Shaco this week, I really want to try him.

maggot283

01-21-2013

I agree on a champion release the champion should be thrown into the free champions, This does give the opportunity for everyone to try the champion before buying them. Some players buy all champions but I personally like to try a champion before I buy it not only because I'm not loaded like most of us but in earlier levels I prefered to only buy champions I could do well with after a couple games and tweeks to builds. Also as stated above you get more reviews on the champion and the bugs then become easier to pick out in seeing similarities to peoples problems with that champion. I don't believe its fair at all to new players to not experience a new champion until they hit the rotation. But as far as weekly rotation goes I personally think this way changing it with patches is the way to go!

Kendralys

01-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot283 View Post
I agree on a champion release the champion should be thrown into the free champions, This does give the opportunity for everyone to try the champion before buying them. Some players buy all champions but I personally like to try a champion before I buy it not only because I'm not loaded like most of us but in earlier levels I prefered to only buy champions I could do well with after a couple games and tweeks to builds. Also as stated above you get more reviews on the champion and the bugs then become easier to pick out in seeing similarities to peoples problems with that champion. I don't believe its fair at all to new players to not experience a new champion until they hit the rotation. But as far as weekly rotation goes I personally think this way changing it with patches is the way to go!
The new champion becomes free during the 2nd week after it's been released. The reason for this is so Riot can make some money (since players who want to play the new champion right at release will be prone to purchasing it), and the community gets a chance to try out the new champion before they buy it. Just wait for the 2nd week after the release to try out the new champion.

P.S. I think it's better to wait anyway so that others get a chance to find out what items and team comps the new champion works best with so you don't completely screw yourself over. That way you can get straight into the game and not have to think "I wonder which items would work well with this champion. What about runes? Masteries? Team Comps?" I personally like the way they do it.