New League System in Ranked

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cheeseboigi

01-15-2013

All i can say about this, is like any other big change.

For now ill hold my judgement, ill try it out, give it a month or so.. and then seeing how it makes people play - if the community embraces it.. maybe it will better the ranking system.

It could have a bad effect though.. it could make people try too hard once they get the games they need to win to rank up.. and one mistake could cause people to rage worse then they do now...

I guess ill just patiently go through the process and see where it takes us.

UltimateStrategi

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yegg View Post
We're still doing the final tweaking of the numbers, but it won't be uncommon at all to earn 15 LP from a win. The speed of progression through leagues will feel very similar to the previous system assuming a similar pattern of wins and losses.
Yo, this looks interesting, but I'm a bit worried about that bit where you can't go below your tier of ELO. I know it does make sense for players who play fair, but that seems to just make it easier for the people who have their friends just carry them up to higher ELO's without having to put in any effort.

Kiwdahc

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colfunderscorero View Post
So what if you just hit gold, and proceed to tank your ELO down so while staying gold, your MMR is hovering around low-mid silver and your league points are still at 0. Then you start winning games against silver players, and progress your way through the gold rankings while only beating silver players. Am I wrong in foreseeing abuse cases here?
You can switch to lower tier divisions. This is the exact same rating system Starcraft 2 has. Go look at it if you need more of an example.

Lightbringer19

01-15-2013

Very good!! congratz!

Yegg

Game Designer

Follow Yegg on Twitter

01-15-2013
7 of 31 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamt3n View Post
When you upgrade divisions will you start with 0 league points or like 50 or something?

I imagine starting with 0 would be frustrating cause you lose one game in that division and youre demoted already and have to re-qualify
You start with 0 LP, yes, but there's a grace period where it's impossible to be demoted for the first few games in the new division, so losing won't really cost you anything. You can look at it as a time to relax for a bit after successfully getting through a division series.

mambawarrior0

01-15-2013

Quote:

What happens if I lose a ranked match in the league system?

Losing a ranked game in the league system will cost some of your League Points. If you’re already at the bottom of your division, this may mean falling back to the previous division . Once you’ve earned a skill tier, however, you can never be demoted to the previous tier unless you stop playing for a prolonged period of time.

In other words, losing can never cause you to fall below 0 League Points in the lowest division of your league.
This somewhat worries me.
Won't this encourage "elo boosting," and even worse, make it so if somebody is elo boosted, they'll keep getting matched with people near the boosted tier no matter how badly they fail?

Ay Yo Boo Boo

01-15-2013

So I will take that as a no I will not answer to when Thresh will be released?

Exploding Barrel

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwdahc View Post
You can switch to lower tier divisions. This is the exact same rating system Starcraft 2 has. Go look at it if you need more of an example.
Front page FAQ says you can't.

Super Explosion

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Az View Post
It seems awfully complicated for me..
To be honest, I'd like to see it in action, but--

It does sound like a lot of pointless complexity for what appears to be something only cosmetic.

Your matchmaking elo is unchanged, correct?

It would appear that this system simply adds more required effort to gain cosmetic rewards.

And potentially obfuscates your actual skill level.

Though it may reduce some of the angst over 'being trapped' in a low elo, or losing games overall-- since you cannot ever drop from a particular league tier, it would appear.

Nonetheless, I'm not sure if completely abstracting the matchmaker's skill rating metric is extremely useful.

sergeantpickle

01-15-2013

Quote:
Matchmaking will continue to match you based on a hidden MMR (matchmaking rating) that's tracked behind the scenes. If you are continually losing matches at the bottom of Gold tier, you'll start to play against Silver players even though you're in a Gold league.

There are a lot of checks and balances that must be passed before you can move up a tier, so we don't think that it will be common for players to be in this situation (with the exception of something like Elo boosting, which we'll be continuing to address).
If that's the case, I would rather just see my elo. It already bothers me that I don't know if I'm getting better in normal matches. No me gusta.