New League System in Ranked

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Quacktical

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2013

I'm wondering how this system will avoid rank inflation, since you can't be demoted without playing. Purely by chance this will put a lot of players at ranks that they may not have been previously able to sustain.

Quark

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthnxbai View Post
you wish. the lowest division in every tier will probably be trollville
I don't know if you're agreeing with me or disagreeing

Velerean

01-15-2013

I'm not playing again until you guys finally implement queue by role. I'm sick of pre-game rage, calling, arguing over pick order, etc.

It's just not very fun anymore and it's demoralizing to start up a game only to be met with instant negativity. The game would be much better if you could play the role you wanted (even if that meant a longer queue time).

Unrelated, but just my thoughts.

Dragon Striker9

01-15-2013

If we win a ranked game, on average how many Points would you get? And if we lose, how many do we lose? It would be assumed that we gain more points for winning than for losing

InusAngel

01-15-2013

from reading the faq i came to the conclusion that their are 5 tiers (im calling blocks) in each of the 6 tiers bronze - challenger?
soo how do you know which one of the 5 blocks your in?
also each tier is based on your elo right? so what are the elo ranges for each tier, and the blocks in the tiers...?

Exploding Barrel

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamt3n View Post
Depending on how much winning a ranked games gives you in league points we'll see how hard it is to climb

Right now you have to win approx 25 games in a row to gets a new tier (300 elo at an average of 12 elo a game which is pretty generous). In this system you already have to win four best of 3 series to get to the top division then a best of 5 to upgrade tiers. Assuming worse case scenario for winning these say you take each of these series to game 3 and game 5. Thats 11 wins and 6 losses so maybe average those out to 5 effective wins.

You need 500 league points to upgrade all the way (here ill assume you dont lose at all, best case) youll need to have to earn 20 league points per victory for this to be as easy to climb as in the ELO system (which isnt easy to climb in the least bit... winning 25 games in a row is silly)

tl:dr

You need to earn 25 league points per game in order for this to be same climbing experience in our current ELO system. (This only accounts for earning league points and NOT the division/tier best of 3/5 series you have to win)
One big difference though is that you seemingly don't lose league points for losing games in the new system. So yes a flawless winning streak would take you 25 games, but if you lost just 40% of your games along the way it would take you more like 40-50 wins to rank up. That might be more like what to expect for the pacing of league points.

WatchY0urB4ck

01-15-2013

Finally... after many years of that stupid chess system, we have something for which rates a single player in his skill by his win lose, but this system can't screw someone up...

Well lemme say something: As long as the rating system of the points is affected by personal scores, teamplay and attitude instead of rating the "wins/loses in a row", it is going to be a good system...

wait you can't rate the teamplay & attitude... aaah, screw it...

Yegg

Game Designer

Follow Yegg on Twitter

01-15-2013
2 of 31 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehomCD View Post
This is interesting. I'm wondering what happens if you lose your division or promotion series best of three or best of five. Do you lose all your current league points and start over, or is it a relatively quick process to try again? I'm sort of picturing current Elo Hell complaints to be translated into people complaining about bad luck in games that are artificially more important than the rest of the process.
It's not a big deal if you lose a division or promotion series. You'll simply end up back in the ladder rankings with say, 60-90 LP (depending on how the series went) and there's nothing preventing you from qualifying for another series quickly.

Exploding Barrel

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by InusAngel View Post
from reading the faq i came to the conclusion that their are 5 tiers (im calling blocks) in each of the 6 tiers bronze - challenger?
soo how do you know which one of the 5 blocks your in?
also each tier is based on your elo right? so what are the elo ranges for each tier, and the blocks in the tiers...?
There is no more elo.

Edit: I thought so anyway? Others in this thread seem to think both systems are going to be happening.

Choco x Mog

01-15-2013

SC2 matchmaking...?