Will 3v3 be in the next WCG

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LtFluffybear

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-04-2010

Now that the first big WCG tournament is over; will riot try to bring in 3v3 as well a 5v5? Would actually love to hear from a red, on the subject if it has been tossed around or not. I don't really care about anybody's opinion but the ones that make it happen. Sooo <3

Kroghar

10-08-2010

I'm giving my opinion that I would also like to see 3vs3 in the next WCG, is that alright?

3vs3 feels like it doesn't get taken seriously compared to 5vs5, I'd be more tempted to play Twisted Treelines again if I felt otherwise.

MattMarcou

eSports Manager

Follow RiotMarcou on Twitter

10-08-2010
1 of 1 Riot Posts

I definitely want to see a good mix of 3v3 and 5v5 tournaments and help supply prizes to people that want to run both types of events. There's no inherent reason why one is better than the other, but competitive players are more comfortable with 5v5 at this point.

Sindae

10-08-2010

I find TT to be a lot more exciting to watch. Lots more team fights from the start of the game, and they're shorter as well, considering excessive game length is a problem with attracting spectators to competitive LoL.

Chanchai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-08-2010

I really enjoyed watching the Cosplay TT tournament at PAX this year. It definitely made me more interested in competitive TT.

That said, are the matches really shorter? The matches I watched were all pretty much SR length in time. Some great fights though!

I also wonder if more competitive map play would lead to re-evaluation of characters overall. SR sounds like it's a bit dynamic 5v5 fight (not just because of the players allowed, but because teamfights become so important). TT is obviously 3v3 with two lanes, but it seems like all fights break out into 3v3 full team fights. And Magma Chamber, from what I've read, seems to focus on really making mobility a little complicated to keep the matches all going 1v1, 2v2, and 2v2--that will be interesting and we might see more Melee DPS champions finding a special place on that map and probably a lot less AOE power.

I hope all three maps will be highly competitive in events for Season Two ^_^

shockinbox

10-18-2010

I think the champions are more balanced for 5v5. Too many cheap strategies for 3v3 like all tanky dps. It would still be fun to watch but I wouldnt take it as seriously as 5v5.

LtFluffybear

10-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotMarcou View Post
I definitely want to see a good mix of 3v3 and 5v5 tournaments and help supply prizes to people that want to run both types of events. There's no inherent reason why one is better than the other, but competitive players are more comfortable with 5v5 at this point.
I think it would be a nice thing to have the more hype you get the more attention you have. I think people would enjoy 3v3 just as much 5v5 for watching. It is much more focusing on the quick burst and face pace type of game RIOT wishes to have. Perhaps you could do a few community tournaments that give out a few RP points to test the waters on how big of a follow it would have.