Preseason Three Digi-Art Throwdown Contest

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Daemon

01-11-2013

Does "preparing for Season 3" mean the champions can be depicted in an epic battle? Or do you want pictures like them sharpening weapons, coming up with strategies, putting on armor, etc.?

Also, is the champion Thresh or any content that is released on PBE that happens to not be released by February 8th eligible for being included in the artwork?

IceQuine

01-11-2013

Is this world wide? i hope so :/

Ankokukai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2013

Once again, like every single time, Riot leaves any non-digital artist out of their drawing contests

WHEN will we get a "DRAW ON PAPER AND JUST SCAN IT" contest?

i respect digital artists, their work is awesome, but i'd really like some contests for old-school artists that can created equally awesome pieces of epicness...on paper, with a simple pencil

MsPudding

Sentient Pudding

Follow MsPudding on Twitter

01-11-2013
6 of 24 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Does "preparing for Season 3" mean the champions can be depicted in an epic battle? Or do you want pictures like them sharpening weapons, coming up with strategies, putting on armor, etc.?

Also, is the champion Thresh or any content that is released on PBE that happens to not be released by February 8th eligible for being included in the artwork?
In terms of preparing for Season 3, we want you to show us *how* they prepare for battle. How do they sharpen their skills, recharge their magic, or whatever it is? Does Rammus sharpen his spikes? Did he amass a collection of spiky shells to use throughout the season? A champion in simply any battle situation isn't quite what we're looking for.

Yes to your PBE question.

MsPudding

Sentient Pudding

Follow MsPudding on Twitter

01-11-2013
7 of 24 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankokukai View Post
Once again, like every single time, Riot leaves any non-digital artist out of their drawing contests

WHEN will we get a "DRAW ON PAPER AND JUST SCAN IT" contest?

i respect digital artists, their work is awesome, but i'd really like some contests for old-school artists that can created equally awesome pieces of epicness...on paper, with a simple pencil
This is the first digital-only art contest we've ever run, and we're upping the prizing to be especially appealing for a digital artist. That doesn't mean we don't have plans to do another all-inclusive art contest again one day!

One of the major problems with doing a "scan it in" sort of contest is that about 90% of every hand-drawn submission we've received that is scanner quality lost a TON of detail in the process, leaving the lighting and colors looking very bland or even difficult to see. Still, handmade creations are awesome and we have plans to do more!

Rex Draconem

01-11-2013

its points like this i wish i had artistic talent

Talyse

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2013

Yay, a poorly judged contest for Christmas only to be followed up by yet another contest only inclined towards the very artistically inclined.

Whoopee, so sick of these cookie cutter contests that maybe allow 2% of the League of Legends community to actually participate in them, and if more people CAN participate in them, they're judged very poorly and inefficiently.

Solari Brigadier

01-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyse View Post
Yay, a poorly judged contest for Christmas only to be followed up by yet another contest only inclined towards the very artistically inclined.

Whoopee, so sick of these cookie cutter contests that maybe allow 2% of the League of Legends community to actually participate in them, and if more people CAN participate in them, they're judged very poorly and inefficiently.
To be fair, the prize is highly slanted to someone specifically with a strong artistic ability. Only an extremely competent digital artist is going to need a $2000 USD graphics tablet. Those are the people who will get the most out of the prize, and therefore it's understandable if the bar is set at a high mark.

In my opinion, there should be two unique levels of art contest, and could be restricted so each summoner can only choose to enter one or the other. One contest - the "pro level" contest - could offer the prizes in this thread, the tablet combos. The second contest, a community-level contest, could offer only RP and maybe skin/champion/swag prizes, and would be open to a significantly larger part of the community.

I know we all love looking at the professional art of the <1% of League players who can put out such amazing drawings, but these contests really aren't much fun because there's a 0% chance that my entry would be seen, let alone considered anywhere near the top 17. It just takes all the fun out of it.

Honestly, I have been trying to get my friend into League for a while and, as an artist I thought I could convince her to try out the game by enticing her with this contest. Of course she was thrilled, she's been saving up money for over a year to buy a Cintiq 22HD (and recently had to eat into her savings when she got tendinitis in her drawing hand). But then she found the Art of Revelry contest winners and decided she would do better off focusing on her original art rather than this contest, because the competition is so ridiculously good. It's disappointing to a lot of people who get really excited for a contest like this, only to realize they don't have a snowball's chance in hell.

RÊD

01-11-2013

can the drawing be drawn with pens/markers? or does it have to be digital? i dont have those fancy tablets with a stylus or photoshop to draw on =(

Knîves

01-11-2013

I'm going to draw Talon with 4 Black Cleavers hahahaha!